SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
william_wagner38

NYC Apartment: Conflicted About Furniture Layout

Bill W
5 years ago

Hello!

I posted here before regarding my roomate and I's new apartment, and all your advice was greatly appreciated. We took your advice to heart, and ordered a sofa, coffee table, and dining table + chairs to start.

We just received some furniture yesterday, and planned on having the layout like this:

Note: the blue tape is where the TV would be wall mounted, and an accent chair would be put facing the window/HVAC

But my roommate, along with you all, mentioned having the couch against the HVAC unit, like this:

Sitting down on this as I type, it feels much more open, and the TV would be located across the room, about 16ft away (would have to be ~70"), in a nook, as seen in our floorplan here:

I am very conflicted, on one hand, the first layout creates a natural separation between the dining room and the living room, which can be good or bad, depending on the goals (keeping an open layout / having that separation). But on the other hand, having the sofa against the wall makes the place feel bigger (in our opinion), and allows conversation between all areas of the room.

First, I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on which layout they prefer.

Second, if anyone could help answer these design questions regarding the second, it would be greatly appreciated:

• What size rug should be there?
  • Should we get two accent chairs here? If so, we like the look of these, but they are pretty expensive
  • https://www.cb2.com/woven-camel-suede-chair/s343524
  • The coffee table was bought with the first layout in mind, is it too small for the second layout now?
  • What would you recommend putting in the corner to the left of the couch, we are thinking of a end table, plant, or lamp?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (4)