SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristenfry

Fix a boring facade with new siding, windows, soffit, trim etc

K Fry
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This house is located on Georgian Bay (lake ahuron, Ontario, canada) in cottage country, with the lake visible from all front windows. Unfortunately the original cottage (1950s) was raised up to the second floor and a new main floor built. All with clearly no design thought given to the window placement or siding. It resulted in a kind of awkward right hand side, with no roof lines or interest to it.

On the left side side is an old garage converted into a sun room.

We are ready to replace the vinyl siding (prob with Maibec), new windows, soffits, trims, etc. The railing is newer white aluminum with glass And it will stay.

How can I balance out the windows on the right two storey section. Should we side the sunroom in a board and batten and the two story section in lap sisondg to add interest? The lattice can go if needed, but what to replace it with? Should we put a band of white on the tall facade to break it up.

My husband says the trees and boulders must stay! It’s a drought so the grass is dead!

Any thoughts? I think- for sure balance the windows out with trim somehow, and a dark grey cape cod style siding.

Comments (5)