SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dani_shugart

Flagstone Walkway

Dani Shugart
5 years ago

Can anyone tell me the differences between types of flagstone?

I've been searching everywhere for some advice on flagstone for a walkway that my husband are having done. It's for a path that'll go from the back porch in our yard to the street outside our yard.

The landscaper we've hired first proposed using "Pennsylvania Blue Flagstone," which we're told is more high end... but I'm not finding a ton of pics online that verify what that looks like.

The whole first proposal from the landscaper was stunning, but unfortunately way over budget. So we had him cut back on a lot of the trees and shrubs he was planning to add to our landscape. So we got the second proposal back and it's doable. Thing is, the flagstone he has proposed using is "New Mexico Buff Flagstone" and it's half the price... which sounds great, but also worries me a little. (Is it going to be a lower quality? Or look worse?)

So I'm wondering if the flagstone path is something we should splurge on and just go with the Pennsylvania Blue, since he was able to cut a lot out of the rest of our landscaping plan.

Is there a flagstone that's between the two – both quality and price wise?

Comments (13)

• everdebz
    5 years ago

There's more in article... "Patios. Flagstone is a favorite material for creating outdoor gathering spaces like patios. It's possible to lay flagstone on a sand bed and then fill in the joints with [gravel[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/5-gravel-and-stone-types-for-a-rockin-landscape-stsetivw-vs~10654066) for a very casual look, but if you want something longer lasting, you'll have to pull out the big guns. That means laying the flagstone on concrete and then mortaring the joints."

Dani Shugart thanked everdebz
  • Dani Shugart
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everdebz, the landscaper has chosen an appropriate size for the flagstone, but I'm wondering more about the durability and appearance of the Pennsylvania Blue versus the New Mexico Buff. And regarding your second point, he's using polymeric sand to lay it.

I just want to know if anyone has information on these two types of flagstone, and whether we should splurge on the one that costs twice as much... or if there's a better option that's somewhere between the two.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    5 years ago

Since a fair amount of the cost of stone is transportation, who knows? We have no idea where you are, or any idea of the distance stone has to cover to go from New Mexico or Pennsylvania to your place.

Where I am, the paving stone of greatest cheapness is irregular New York bluestone. It is basically free for the finding, but I do know several people who have incurred the cost of totally new suspensions in its pursuit. Even commercially cut stone isn't terribly expensive since it isn't traveling far.

Dani Shugart thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

"Flagstone" is not a geological type of stone (like granite, limestone, sandstone, etc.) It's a catch all term that generally describes the shape and form ... any relatively thin, flat, broad stone. Round river rocks, or any type of boulder or blocky stone would not be considered flagstone. Think flat and thin ... like a flag. Stone types that cleave naturally into layers make flagstone. Generally, it could come in a variety of thicknesses from 1.5" or so, to 3" or 4" for some types of large pieces, depending on the type of stone and where it comes from. The larger the stone is, the thicker it needs to be. Large, thin stones break very easily. The way it is used is similar to the way tile is used -- to cover an area as a surface, as opposed to being used structurally, (though this is not impossible.) So, there are LOTS of different flagstones with varying characteristics. Some are very popular and shipped across the country. If one happens to be far from where they are quarried, their cost will be high. Usually, because people are most always searching for lower cost, there is a tendency to use flagstone that comes from a nearby source.

One must have familiarity with the specific stone type in order to know its durability. A cheaper stone could be more durable than high priced stone as durability is likely not the prime pricing criteria.

In landscaping, flagstone is popular as a DIY material on account of its rustic looks and ease of use when laid on a sand base. If mortar is used, it is usually laid by a pro or a dedicated DIY homeowner. IMO, what makes a big difference in the quality of the finished product of flagstone is the joints: tight or narrow, uniform joints look much better. Wide, irregular joints look much more amateurish. Making good joints requires more work/time as edges must be cut or chipped in order to fit next to edges of adjacent stones. That would be a big part of the cost of an installation. I would be willing to guess that such a specification is not included in your proposal so as to hold the price down. Many people do not pay attention to edge detail so wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Regardless of the details of your installation, one thing I would never do is install a walk like this without FIRST GETTING SAMPLES! And comparing them on site to other elements and the surroundings. Doing so would answer your primary question about what the overall character of the walk is going to look like, especially color. IMO, blues, greys, taupes, etc. go well with most surroundings and lean classy, whereas yellowish or orangey tones seem less classy. But this depends on the colors of other things, like the house. Color is one reason someone would be willing to pay a higher price to have stone shipped across the country.

Dani Shugart thanked Yardvaark
  • PRO
    KD Landscape
    5 years ago

@dani shugart. I would echo Yardvaark's comments that blues, greys, taupes, etc. go well with most surroundings as well as tight or narrow, uniform joints look much better. Google "irregular bluestone patio" then "irregular flagstone patio". Both yield a boatload of photos that are representative. You could also try "Colorado buff flagstone" which could easily be "New Mexico flagstone". The old saying that "the devil is in the details" really applies with irregular flagstone walkways. There are an abundance of products and installation techniques are just as varied. Ask specifically what you are getting. See below for three different processes with the exact same product. Good luck with your project.

Traditional Landscape · More Info

Rustic Landscape · More Info

Dani Shugart thanked KD Landscape
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    5 years ago

These photos show Pennsylvania Bluestone :

Dani Shugart thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Get your landscaper to take you to the rock yard where he gets his materials. And then you can see what's offered and make your own choice based on appearance and cost. I do that with clients who are anticipating any significant hardscaping. It is a major investment and they need to be completely satisfied with what they are getting. We also do "field trips" to nurseries to check out various plants selection.

And depending on where you are located, laying flags on concrete and mortaring the joints may be overkill!! That is usually only reserved for areas that experience heavy freeze-thaw cycles. In my area it is totally unnecessary.

Dani Shugart thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    5 years ago

came here to say what gardengal did - go see the stone in person, and ideally go see it on an installed patio that's at least a few years old. Having worked all over the country, flagstone is sold differently depending on where you are. Here, when buying PA flagstone, we have the option of variegated/full range, blue, or lilac. The blue and lilac are more expensive because they've been handpicked for uniform color. We tend to do full range, because if I wanted one uniform color I'd have used pavers. But that's totally a personal preference. There are also choices as far as natural cleft and thermaled. You can read a little more here: http://www.revolutionarygardens.com/best-flagstone-natural-cleft-thermal-honed/

Dani Shugart thanked Revolutionary Gardens
  • PRO
    KD Landscape
    5 years ago

@ Revolutionary....nice website posting on the flagstone. lol at "No soggy bottoms"

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    5 years ago

@K&D I was on a massive Great British Baking Show binge at the time. lol

• Dani Shugart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the great insight everyone! Revolutionary Gardens and gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) I took your advice and went to go see it in person, and oddly the two places in town said they didn't have either choice available.

However, I think there must've been a mistake because my husband and I found some large pieces of Pennsylvania Blue... and we kind of freaked out over how beautiful it was. (I did, at least.) I know it'll look different after it's installed, but the slabs were super dark almost a teal color. And it would look stunning with our house.

Thanks Yardvaarkfor the quick lesson on flagstone! It really came in handy. As for our location, mad_gallica and kentc, we're in Colorado Springs, so that's gotta be why the "Colorado Red" flagstone is so affordable. Everyone in this area uses it and the landscaper said, we should choose anything but that. (I'm ok with it though.)

I think you're right K&D Landscape Management about the names being different for the same stone – Colorado Buff and New Mexico Buff. Although neither place we went to yesterday carried New Mexico Buff, they did have Colorado Buff and it was a cream/beige color.

Thanks for the photos Dig Doug's Designs(8A) and K&D Landscape Management they really do give me a better idea of what I'm looking for!

--------------

So I think there are two problems I'm coming across now. Tell me if I'm overreacting.

The rock our landscaper is planning to put in our backyard (that's listed in the proposal) doesn't seem to match the flagstone he listed. In fact, it doesn't seem to match our house or the rocks we currently have around our house. I took a picture of it (attached below) when I saw it at the places we went to yesterday.

The 3/4 granite he's intending to use in the backyard seems kind of, well, pink. And the rocks we have currently around our house look grey (from a distance).

This pink rock is pretty, but I'm on the fence because it doesn't seem to go with the PA Blue flagstone or the NM Buff (cream) colored flagstone. Does it? I'm just afraid that adding it alongside our grey rocks and then alongside the flagstone will look like a hodgepodge of colors.

Am I wrong? Maybe I'm wrong, and it'll look like an amazing contrast between natural rocks. I don't have enough experience with landscaping to know if this is a thing people do and if it looks good, but I'm really picky about color schemes and have a decent eye for what looks good together... and am not sure I can envision this looking right.

Second problem is, neither of the stone places in town said they carried either type of flagstone he suggested. However, a landscaper at one business told us that the dark greenish-blue flagstone we found was PA Blue and we're suspecting that New Mexico Buff is the same as Colorado Buff.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

"I'm really picky about color schemes and have a decent eye for what looks good ..."

Talk to the landscaper and find out how you can obtain samples of the actual materials he would use. (He should be able to give you directions how to obtain .... not go get the samples for you.) Obtain them (you may have to purchase them), bring them home and view them on site. This is the only way you're going to be able to answer your question adequately. My personal guess is that adding a different color of gravel to your already existing color is not going to make you happy. It would depend on how the gravel is mixed or juxtaposed. (We have no knowledge of your project itself or the extent of these materials.)