SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojomom

Just for fun, what do you love but would never have in your own home?

mojomom
5 years ago

I think a lot of us on this forum have our particular individual style, but can appreciate others styles as well. So instead of saying what you don't like, let's look at what we do appreciate in others homes, but not in our own. Often, the style of house dictates what works best. For example we my home is a bit mountain contemporary and I'm pretty eclectic, incorporating a bit of rustic, appropriate antiques (on the rustic end of the spectrum, textures, and individual art, collected over the years, a great rug, a bit of traditional and even a bit industrial, but the overall look is serene and natural and it works for me. For my house I do like color, but keep it subdued And I do use some warm grays, but I have been doing that since the 80s, so not trendy

I think the golden rule is the decor should fit the house and the owner's personality., not just what they think other people will like.

However, I love done MCM in appropriate homes, but not in mine.

In more traditional homes, I like layers and florals.

i like yellow in other people's homes, but hate it in mine.

rather affordabl e

i don't want a white kitchen, but I've seen and appreciated some wonderful ones, it's just not for me.

Formal colonial homes are great, just not for me, but I would love to visit And have a wonderful meal in your formal dining room,

i like well done minimalism, but also well done collected maximalism with beautiful pieces from all over the world. Again I need serenity, and I couldn't live with too much stuff, no matter how beautiful or fine, but I can appreciate itbut would love to visit For a while.

I like homes that reflect the owners personality -- bright bubbly homes for those outgoing soul ps who crave color, subdued for the introverts, book filled for the readers. (But I hate a house with books the owners never read that are just for decoration.).

i don't mind trendy for the younger set. It tend to be rather affordable and they will eventually add, edit, and make their home their own.

For my few real dislikes is matchy-matchy furnishings, art that's obviously bought for a spot without consideration of the owner's taste -- that falls into a room in a box catagory for me. I also don't like dead animals, but understand that sometimes keeping hubby happy means you have to give in.

i guess the point I am making is that your style or my style may be great for us, but keeping an open mind to other choices and appreciating that we all are different is mind expanding and is conductive in helping people who embrace a different style.

Comments (78)