SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uneke2

Floating mirror affects lighting for bathroom vanity - Options?

Carolyn
5 years ago

I am about to do a reno of a master bathroom, and need technical advice on lighting.

The vanity is separated from the toilet & shower by a door. It is 58" wide. I will be adding two 18" sinks (vs the current one). the vanity will have doors on each side and there will be drawers in the middle.

I will have a large mirror that is a little smaller than the width and height of the wall, which will be floated out from the wall, and have LED lighting glowing from behind around edges.

There will be pot lights in the ceiling, but no over-mirror fixture, as I understand side lighting is key for putting make-up on, or shaving or whatever.

You can see from the pic below that there are walls at both ends of the vanity. The mirrored medicine cabinet on the right side will be gone.

So it seems to me there are 3 possible options for lower lighting:

1. sconces mounted to the side walls

2. pendants hanging from ceiling near side walls.

3. sconces mounted through the mirror.

I think I like the look of sconces mounted through the mirror, but is that risky to do as it is easy to break the mirror?

For all options, will there even be room for side lights, given sinks must be off to the sides enough to accommodate centre drawers.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Comments (2)