SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_gustave

Need advice on installation of Front Door

Bill Gustave
5 years ago

Greetings Houzz'rs,

Finishing up an exterior renovation. We put on a stone façade and had a new front door installed at the same time. Door went in first and then the stone. After the stone install, the Door Jamb and the Threshold stick out 3" from the stone. The Threshold flexes when you step on it as it is unsupported. Looking for advice since I am not a contractor but It does not look right to me.

Comments (41)

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    how will reinstalling correct this? the door framing is flush with the drywall inside. my feeling is that they simply overestimated the finished thickness of the exterior finishing and ordered a door that is too deep for the opening. My contractor is away until next week. he suggested only a new threshold needs installed by I dont see how that solves the problem. the rest of the framing for the door will still stick out 3 in past the threshold. he didn't seem happy when I suggested the door needed replaced.
  • Related Discussions

Restoring Pine Front door and need advice

Q

Comments (2)
    If you want a good base for paint, try UNWAXED shellac. The shellac will do a good job of sealing the pine, especially if there are knots in it. UNWAXED is important because it allows the paint to stick.
    ...See More

Front Door Water Issues - Advice Needed

Q

Comments (6)
    The problem is probably that you have no adequate overhang protecting the front door area. You need to get this fixed as the damage will just get greater and greater. I know you are on a tight budget, but you are going to end up with some very expensive costs to fix cosmetic and structural damage the longer this goes on. Bandaid fixes like painting the door and caulking are not going to resolve the fundamental problem you have of water infiltration. However, before giving you suggestions, more pictures are needed of the front door area so that we can see what the house looks like above the door and the condition of the gutters (if there are any).
    ...See More

I need advice on front door ideas and a new porch color

Q

Comments (12)
    Such great ideas everyone. OMG Melissa, WOW! The house looks so different without the shutters. I LOVE the SW Urbane Bronze front porch...even the walk way and driveway. I like the Bora Bora Shores front door rather than the yellow. Very nice. :) I really love it!.
    ...See More

Need advice on trim color & front door color

Q

Comments (0)
    When we bought the house. I always thought the house had no curb appeal terrible landscaping . Id like the house to pop. *welcome sign is no longer there* will be getting new service door and windows. Garage door color is a dark brown. Thank you
    ...See More
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Either the jamb width of the door was ordered or delivered wrong or there is a whole bunch of jamb extension on the interior side. But, if that is the case, I can't imagine what is happening where the threshold meets the finished floor.

But what you have is all wrong and can't be let go. Big honking air gap there as well as compromising the structural integrity of the entire door assembly. Meaning that you'll be replacing it again not too far down the road. Entry doors with two sidelights don't come cheap.

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    inside looks good and is flush to the flooring and drywall.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

That ain't right.

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    so I'm justified in demanding it be reordered and replaced? is there any other option? I am withholding the pmt for the door install.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Your door installer should have walked. When he doesn't get paid, he'll walk the next time.

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    are you saying u should pay him for the door even tho its wrong?
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

No. Do not pay for this improper installation.

• PRO
    TheDoorsDepot
    5 years ago

I think you should re-install your casing as normal but don't nail the casing to the wall yet just the jamb. Rip filler strips that fill that void, and to hide the seam install a back band molding around the perimeter of the casing

• millworkman
    5 years ago

The frame extends to far outside the rough opening. If it is flush at the interior wall the jamb depth is too deep and the jamb needs to be reworked. You cannot have it extend out that far and that sill absolutely cannot be unsupported like that.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I don't think the jamb can be reworked. At least, not feasibly. Because of the threshold? The jamb depth would have to be reduced on the interior side, I think, and that would involve having to remortise the hinges and who knows how the door stop is configured. Sometimes the door stop is integral to the jamb, machined out of one piece of lumber.

And then it's not just the door but the side lights, too.

Really looks to me like the entire door & lights need to be replaced with a unit that has the proper jamb depth.

• strategery
    5 years ago

Any chance you have 2x2 exterior framing?

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Now I'm wondering about the storm unit. Did the storm windows & door ship with the door? Do you have any photos from after the door was installed and before the storm door & windows were installed?

Because it sure looks like jamb extensions were added on the outside to increase depth for the storm door closer. Can't figure out what's going on with the threshold nor why the side jamb w/ the white peeling paint is hanging outside the opening. 2nd photo, close-up w/ the tape measure.

Wondering about the size of the framing, too... Although I can't imagine an exterior wall framed w/ 2 x 2's, doesn't mean it's never happened.

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    2x4 exterior framing. I don't have pictures pre screen door.

meeting with GC on Monday to figure it out. I did contact pro via to ask them if its correct and warrantied as installed. They offered to come out and take a look. I'll give my contractor the opportunity to make it right before I get them involved. thanks everyone. I'll update when I talk to him.
  • Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK, I meet with my contractor and the stone installer twice now. Still not resolved. They have proposed building out support under the threshold with concrete block and then applying the same stone veneer to support the threshold. I still do not think that the door itself sticking out 3 inches looks right. We discussed filling in the gap around the door with grout but the mason said it is not code and cant do that. We are having the sales rep from the supplier come out to take a look. So far, the contractor has been resistant to ordering a new jamb about 1.5 inches smaller.

I do not want to be unreasonable but It does not look right to me with the 3 inch trim exposed all around. AM I being unreasonable?

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"So far, the contractor has been resistant to ordering a new jamb about 1.5 inches smaller"

Wrong is wrong. If he ordered the incorrect jamb size he owes you the correct frame. Period. I cannot believe a whole Rube Goldberg of masonry, blocking, etc, etc, would be cheaper than getting the right size jamb...........................

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

He's been saying it's not wrong, that it is supposed to set out from the stone. My issue is that I'm not a contractor. I think it's wrong and it looks wrong but what do I know.

• ksc36
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Contact the manufacturer. Send them those pics and ask if it's installed correctly. If they say it's not ask them what needs to be done to not void your warranty.

What brand is the door? I'd rather have a visit from a service tech than a salesman.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"We are having the sales rep from the supplier come out to take a look."

Wait and see what he says. And or call the manufacturer. I have never seen a door that the frame is designed to project 3" from the house. I could be wrong but I do not believe so...................

• millworkman
    5 years ago

And the more times I look at those pics I believe even stronger that I am not wrong, the wrong size jamb depth was order by someone. Period.

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's a ProVia door. I did speak to an account rep last week who told me that the threshold must be supported which they want to address by building what I described underneath it.

I'll contact them again and see if they can send someone out.

"I have never seen a door that the frame is designed to project 3" from the house. I could be wrong but I do not believe so...............…." … Me either, I've been driving around looking at houses front doors …. haven't seen one like mine.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

It's not a big deal to pull the door, rip 1/1/2" off the jambs, and reinstall it.

I'm not getting why someone along the way didn't stop and say "Hey, this isn't gonna work."

• ksc36
    5 years ago

It is a big deal.... Who on earth would do that to a brand new door?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Someone who wanted the door to fit properly?

• Skil367
    5 years ago

Strategery: "Any chance you have 2x2 exterior framing?"

I'm thinking 1x1.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

To rip 1 1/2" off the jambs, you gotta' remove the interior trim, remove the storm units on the door and sidelites, remove the door and sidelites, hope the sidelites can be separated from the door and rip away. When you get to the aluminum threshold, you have a whole other problem. And you gotta' be real careful not to scratch up the door, the side lights or any of that black painted aluminum on the storms. Because the homeowner paid for a new door, not a beat up used door.

Homeowner also paid for a professional to install his door because the homeowner could have made stupid mistakes all on his own. He should not have to pay someone to make stupid mistakes. Nor should he have to pay to be put through this kind of unnecessary crap because the installer forgot the Measure Twice Rule and is trying to bamboozle him into accepting a fourth rate handyman solution because the installer does not want to eat $2-3K worth of door.

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any alteration to the jamb from the factory voids my warranty. It's not an option.

ci_lantro … I think I might have been able to do better than the "professional" who is a door installer and clearly knew when he was installing it the something wasn't right.

I spoke to the local building inspector and the account rep at ProVia today. Both suggested that the correct fix is to order and new frame assembly at the correct depth. Its a shame because the rest of the project looks great and I would have recommended him to several neighbors who are considering similar projects but he's done now.

• cookncarpenter
    5 years ago

Door frame ordering 101:
    Thickness of wall framing (studs) + thickness of interior wall covering (drywall, plaster, wood paneling, etc.) + thickness if any sheathing or shear panel (plywood, OSB, etc., + thickness of exterior finish material (siding, stucco, stone, etc.) = door frame dimension

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Oh, Bill. At least you have validation of what your gut was telling you all along. But, what a mess. I sincerely hope that the fix comes off without a hitch.

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    hey guys. he's coming out tomorrow. in the mean time, he's telling me this is correct installation of siding and molding above the garage door. apparently, instructions call for an entire tube of silicone on each side and to chisel away the molding to get the j channel to fit. lol. getting comical.
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

Hacks-r-us Inc.................................

• ksc36
    5 years ago

It's the wrong product. Always eliminate J channel if possible, unless it's built in like this garage trim.

http://trimsolutions.net/garage-door-trim/

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have similar molding around the windows. They took them down and sided all the way to the window trim. Not sure why they didn't just take this down, side it correctly and put it back. They put aluminum capping over it too.

ksc36 … your link has no result.

• ksc36
    5 years ago

Sorry, that link was through my supplier. Here's what I was trying to show you. It has built in J channel.

http://trimsolutions.net/garage-door-trim/

• cookncarpenter
    5 years ago

Trim and flashing should have been in place before siding goes up. The siding should butt into that door trim, not go behind it ...butchers

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Caulk is not flashing. Caulk is not flashing. Caulk is not flashing.

• cookncarpenter
    5 years ago

Please don't tell me they also did your corner trim like this?!

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    what do you mean by corner trim?
  • cookncarpenter
    5 years ago

On the outside corners of the house, assuming they did not miter the siding (with their talent, I doubt it)
    Simply put, was the trim installed over the siding, or does the siding butt to the trim (If any)
    ...There should be no open gaps at the ends of the beveled lap siding boards

• Bill Gustave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Corners look good. Siding goes into the corner pieces.

They just left. They are ordering a new Jamb 2 inches smaller than the current jamb and having provia come out and do the swap of the jambs.

Thanks Everyone. Your input validated my feelings that the door was wrong so I was confident pushing back and demanding a new jamb not a jerry rigged solution. I'm gonna wait till the door is ordered to tell him he needs to fix the garage door siding. I don't wanna load up too much on him at once.