SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_neitzel

Builder Won't Clear Entire Lot - Am I overreacting?

Matt Neitzel
5 years ago

My wife and I are currently in the starting process of building a home. We're going through a large company that owns all of the lots in the neighborhood. They have all been very friendly in the early process when picking things out, so signing the purchase agreement. Now, the builder has started work. The half acre lot was all trees and brush. They removed a good majority of the trees and brush, but left about 30-35 feet from the rear property line. Our backyard according to the lot specifications would be about 65 feet from the back of the house to the property line. Nearly half of our backyard is still trees and brush. We were told, verbally and written (In Email), that they would clear up to the property line. I told them that leaving 30-35 feet is not the property line. They're pretty firm on not clearing the rest out and have started the foundation.

What can I do in this situation? We're attempting to set up a sit down with the builder, but is there any legal action we should consider? I understand leaving a few feet from the property line, but 30-35 feet seems very excess and to be honest, lazy.

Comments (30)