SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1737970

New construction, sliding glass door 2nd floor, build deck after?

User
5 years ago

I'm having a new house built in North Carolina (Chatham County) this summer that is 2 story (front side) with a walk out basement (back side).

In the dining, off the back of the house, will be a sliding glass door. The main floor is 740 sq ft and has two other exterior doors (a front door, and a side door that goes out into the garage which also has a 'people' door).

The quote the builder gave me for a deck off the dining room sliding glass door was very high. I have a family member in the construction industry that did the deck on my current home, however the builder won't agree to hire my family member to do the deck (despite doing it commercially for over 12 years, they are insured etc.). I then asked about a Juliet rail / guard from the sliding glass door just until they are done building, the final inspection is done and I can move in and get my family member to build the deck. The builder replied "Oh, that (the guard railing / Juliet) isn't allowed". Funny, I saw some apartments going up just down the road with french doors, no real balcony and the guard rails.

The builder said they could put a 4' x 6' deck that I could then tear down... the cost was going to be about (from my memory) about $1,000 (and then cost of the ledger board for the size of deck we want).

*sigh* I find that a total waste of money and materials. I tried to think of possibly using that small deck as a landing, but we really want a full deck across the 30' span of the back of the house to create a patio for the walkout basement below (and give the two doors below some protection from driving rain).

What is the best way to find a solution to this? Can the sliding glass door be semi-permanently closed (screws? take the handle off?) to get through the final inspection? Can a guard rail be installed temporarily, either inside the house or outside? Who would I contact to find out the local building code requirements?

I appreciate any help or advice as my builder just... well... that's a whole other can of worms. :-\

Comments (15)