SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

Cooktop options

eam44
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My 25+ yo GE profile electric cooktop has died. I’ve thought about this day, I planned for it, yet now that it’s upon me, I’m making different decisions than I might have a year ago. I was going to plumb gas to the stove and go for a BlueStar rangetop. But it’s 90 degrees in Cleveland in June and if I had a rangetop, I wouldn’t want to turn it on to cook an egg. I have central air, I just don’t like the idea of heating the kitchen up.

I’m looking at induction cooktops, and aside from a power boost here and a bridge element there, the pretty much seem the same. All of them claim you can melt chocolate or maintain a simmer. The choice I’m getting ready to make is between a discontinued floor model 36” Miele KM5573 at $1700 with full warranty, or a new GE Cafe 36“ in grey, which is pretty and sings to you when you turn it on. It’s about $1600. One salesman really liked the JennAir, but at 2100 I’d rather get the BlueStar with knobs for $2400. I think the Bosch with the flexinduction is kind of cool, but as pricey as the BS.

I’m kind of leaning toward the Miele and I’m not sure why. Maybe because my SubZero was a discontinued floor model (last of the compressor on the top models) that I got for 1/2 price as well. They would be kitchen pals, adopted in the same way.

My real question is, unlike gas ranges that vary tremendously in function, especially at the low temp end of the spectrum, induction ranges have similar performance, unless you care if you can boil water in less than a minute, or 1.5 minutes (I don’t) or want to submerge yours into a counter (I don’t). So how do I decide? It’s mostly aesthetics. Am I silly to want the Miele with a little more control, over the GE?

Miele

GE Café

Comments (89)