SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdonkersgoed

Please help with paint colour :-)

Bryan
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'll soon need to pick a paint colour for my bathroom. Two walls are tiled, and the other two are painted. The tiles are a bit of a grey-beige colour. Here's the work in progress:

The person at the Delux paint store picked out a few colours to start -- any thoughts? I know it's hard to see colour in photos :S

• Commercial White (Top)
  • Swirling Smoke (Middle)
  • Silver Dollar (Bottom)

Comments (50)

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Is in fact the Pegasus a bit more neutral and less creamy (?) as we discussed on the other thread? By chance did you try it? Color matching is very difficult. If you get sample cans and they are less than a Pint I find when they are mixed in to gallon can they do not reproduce to the same exact color. Some offer just tiny sample jars and then I've run in to problems when purchasing a gallon with shades.

The Commercial White looks less creamy in this photo when it's standing than in the prior thread. Next to the tile it appears a tad more creamy here with this vanity top as well. I prefer it of all of them in the examples you've shown.

Bryan thanked Porter Edun
  • Related Discussions

Please please Help with paint color!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Ben Moore Spanish White should work with the sage cabinets and the terra cotta tiles.
    ...See More

please help w/paint colors?

Q

Comments (5)
    I personally find beige at least as drab as gray I like plain white trim and I don not find Alabaster to be a pure enough white for trim. You might want to look a some soft sage or grayed greens like Healing Aloe BM or Topiary Tint SW. Then a real true white for the trim Photo
    ...See More

Please help w/paint color for trim/garage door

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you Patrcia! The landscaping does need some work and the rosebushes have taken off this year which might be some of the problem. I had questioned the shutters on that window as well and wondered if installing a window box there would be a better idea as the house is so plain. My initial thought was to paint close to the brick color or a little darker, but I've already gone through a few paint samples and nothing looks good to me. Do you have any suggestions on a BM or SW paint that would look good? The reason I thought the black garage door would be a good ideas is because it may modernize the house a bit. Anyway, thank you again! Sandy
    ...See More

Please help with paint colors!

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you everyone for a helpful insight! I’m leaning toward to white trims except the one over bookcase. I kind of agree white wall might be boring after trims change into white. Any suggestions for the wall color? We have bm balboa mist through out the house, would it still be too subtle for this room? I thought about darker grey too, but get worried that it might look too dull with brown bookcase. For the desk, would sw iron ore be ok? I know buying a new one is the best solution :-) but we are trying to refresh a room with things what we have. Messy stuffs will get organized for sure though! 🙂
    ...See More
  • Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Porter Edun!

I'm not sure if it's just the camera/monitor, but when you look at the full spectrum of the samples it appears that "Commercial White" is actually in the cream family and "Pegasus" is in the grey.

I don't think they have small samples of paint at Dulux (at least, they never offered). There's not a lot of wallspace to actually be painted, so I guess I could just risk it on a gallon and see what it looks like :P

Do you think I could get away with using the same white colour in both this bathroom and my ensuite? Looking at it by eye in the bathroom, I think I like the look of "Commercial White" more than "Pegasus" in this bathroom. Perhaps "Commercial White" would work well in my Ensuite too?

Also, what should I do with the window trim, door trim, and ceiling? They're currently pure white with no tint, but would I simply paint all of the trim the same tint of white as the walls?

Thanks!

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

As you mentioned I'd go with your gut and invest in the gallon and paint a larger area on each wall and again take a look from AM to PM lights on and off. White as I mentioned is SO TRICKY! I just went through this myself with a slight off white.

The color card is hard to go by as now the pegasus looks more creamy, yet as I mentioned it looked more neutral above in all the photos and the Commercial looks a bit more bright?? Slightly more creamy??? Hence, there is probably a pinch more black in the Pegasus.

From the photos your space is going to be modern to fairly modern?

The color on the wall which is darker is staying or you are painting that wall white I believe??

I'd paint the window frames and baseboards in the same color if you have a modern space. Is that bathroom real large?

the baseboard can be as the tile. However, then you have an unfinished top and a bullnose or other would completely take away from the look. You can see a peek of this to the left of the shower.

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks again!

Yes, white is tricky! I know that I'm supposed to use white, but the variations of white are overwhelming :P I could paint a large area of this bathroom to see what it looks like in different lighting, but I won't have my downlights and sconces installed until after the room is painted. Likewise with the ensuite (in my other thread), I have to paint before the downlights and solatube are installed. I think I could just go with a colour and see what it looks like -- worst-case scenario I hate it and have to repaint, but since I have so many tiled walls repainting shouldn't be terribly difficult or require too much paint :)

Yes, the space is going to be fairly contemporary -- slab gloss-white vanity, contemporary medicine cabinet, chrome fixtures, wall-hung toilet, glass splash screen. The darker wall colour is definitely on it's way out -- that's just the original wall colour from before the reno. All walls will be painted in whatever variation of white is selected :)

I should have mentioned that I'm actually going with a 3.5" tile baseboard (i.e. same as the wall tile) trimmed with the same Rondec that you can see at the top of the niche. The grout line of my baseboard will line up with the grout line of the wall tile (i.e. 3.5" from the floor). The only trim that will require paint is the window and the door.

The bathroom is not very large -- here's the layout:

Thanks!

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

preferably no baseboards as odd as it sounds... Window trim, door trim I'd match the walls. The ceiling can be white IMO... however, if you use Commercial and it's as bright as it appears you might do a test of the ceiling to see how it looks.

I used Aesthetic White by Sherwin Williams. I had 6 samples of different whites and some were so VERY close. It was very hard. I had just completed a medical office and did a lot of the walls in this Aesthetic white and noticed in some of the rooms it has a very, very, very subtle gray cast. Naturally, their lighting is horrible artificial long bulbs... It was such a nice color and in my home by day there is no gray at all.. just every so slightly off white with more of a pinch of a tan base vs. creamy. In the evening it's a pinch gray. I don't mind it at all as it works with all I have.

So, test, test the two even if it's a gallon wasted on one of them. I'm sure you'll ask if they have samples too.....

I think you could surely do both rooms in the same color what ever you pick. Commercial will probably be best for both rooms. I lean Pegasus for the other room if you have a lot of natural light. If not, then I'd go Commercial as you won't be as apt to perhaps have that nuance of every so slightly looking gray that I have with my Aesthetic White and my room is full of natural light so.....white will drive one batty! Just try to not be too creamy and that was my worry with the Commercial. However, paint help when one is not there with another and is on a computer is tough due to the monitors.

Sorry for the diatribe. I'd love the see the whole bathroom (both) yet hard to take a photo of the whole area I'm sure.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Great choice with the tile baseboard!

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Well, I'd be remiss to say you should wait on the paint until all lights are in as it will most likely change things when they are in. So, given that you might go with your gut and as you said there isn't a lot of wall space so easy to paint again. I'd select the one you feel will not go gray as my hunch is you would not be happiest if that was the case?

• loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Bryan-

Your bathroom looks great!

Both colors are good.

It is difficult to discern color on a computer monitor, and the type of light bulb you use makes a big difference as well.

If your tiles is more greyish, pick the color that is more in that family, and if your tile is more in the cream- tan family, pick the color that goes with that.

I agree with using the same color on the wall as on the trim, I would just suggest using a higher gloss level on the trim because the trim gets more wear and a higher gloss level paint can be wiped down. It also adds interest and depth of color, I think.

An unrelated question- I didn't see a vent on the ceiling. Will you put one in?

Sophie Wheeler is great with color, why not invite her into this thread and ask her opinion?

Bryan thanked loobab
  • Porter Edun
    5 years ago

https://www.domain.com.au/news/how-to-pick-the-perfect-white-paint-20150514-gh1y2n/

Wanted you to read this as it's about what we've talked about with creamy going too creamy (yellow) and so on.

I was looking at Whisper White and Natural White... not to muddy the water.

I always ask the paint shop to tell me what colors are in the paint.... it helps me to some degree... yet...it is still a crap shoot with white for lack of a more pleasant saying :)

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks!

OK, I think I'm just going to go with the "Commercial White" in this bathroom since it looks the best to me by eye (at least in natural daylight) and it seems least likely to turn grey. I'm going to get a gallon of that mixed up and then I'll try it in the ensuite as well. I have very little surface area to paint in the ensuite so if it looks terrible it's easy to repaint :)

Noted about the ceiling -- it can either be tinted to match the walls, or an untinted white.

Unfortunately my electrician won't be by to hook up the lights until next weekend, so based on the timing of the project the paint has to be completed first :( I was supposed to get the electrical hooked up this weekend but it had to be delayed because something came up. Similar for the ensuite Solatube -- it probably won't be installed for another two weeks.

Thanks for all of your help! :D

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3vW4BvY_l0

These two talk about natural white and for modern spaces. Naturally, it really plays a roll on the space and not if it's modern or not as colors change. Take a gander at it as well when you go to buy your gallon of Pegasus or Commercial. No one person can tell what the paint will be like in your space... only try their best to understand your light, colors and expectations and then help.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Take a gander at the other two for me :)

Post after you've done a couple coats and let us know what you think!

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@loobab,

Thanks!

Yes, I agree that this colour stuff is tricky business without being in person, and it's even trickier that I can't have my lighting installed until after the paint goes up :(

The tiles have both grey and beige in them, but they are more beige than grey. I think this is why the "Commercial White" tends to look better than the "Pegasus".

Thanks for the suggestion on the gloss. I am going with an eggshell gloss on the walls, and I think this should be sufficient for the trim (since the only trim being painted is the window and door, and the baseboard will be tile). I think the eggshell wipes down reasonably well?

Thanks for the concern about the vent -- you are very observent! The vent simply hasn't been cut into the ceiling yet. I have an inline fan in the attic so that I'll only need a 4" vent in the ceiling (which hasn't been installed yet).

I always enjoy Sophie Wheeler's posts -- she seems to be the guru of everything around here :) She did post in a prior thread related to this bathroom (where I was asking if the niche surface should be quartz or tiled) and she basically said I needed to gut everything and start over due to "so much basic wrongness". She left it at that so I'm not really sure what she was referring to, but to be honest I'm not sure that I wanted to know the answer since I was beyond the point of no return :P For my own sanity, I didn't ask precisely what was wrong about my bathroom design :( But perhaps she simply wasn't aware that some less-than-ideal decisions in the bathroom were made due to plumbing and structural limitations that I was working with. Or maybe she thought I was already finished with my waterproofing at that point (which I wasn't). It was just an in-progress picture when there was still a lot of work left to be done :P

Thanks!

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Porter Edun,

Thanks, I'll try to take a look at Dulux Natural White as well! Oddly enough, "Natural White" doesn't appear on their website so it's possible that it's been renamed.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Natural and Whisper, Hmmm... maybe it's by region? I'm not certain... maybe ask if you remember the two when you are there. Don't forget to post your thoughts on Commercial when you put it up. Also be aware if you have a wall such as the one around the window with the dark paint and put white up next to it the eye will play a bit of a trick with the color. Try to place the white against white if you can and are not sampling it on the whole space which I think you are! Good luck to you!

• loobab
    5 years ago

Eggshell for the walls should work fine, especially if you don't have children with grubby hands.

I do think you need to tell the paint store that you want paint for bathroom use.

If the paint doesn't have anti-mold and mildew ingredients in it, you can buy a tube or two and have that mixed into each gallon.

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK, so I bought a can of the "Commerical White" and put a sample on the wall right next to the tile. I think I like it :) It looked almost too white when wet, but then dried to white with a slight touch of beige. What do you guys think? It's difficult to get a picture of what it actually look like.

For comparison, to the left of the "Commercial White" I put up a sample of "Delicate White" that I plan to use in the Ensuite. The "Delicate White" seems to have a slight touch of grey instead of beige, so I think it should work better in the Ensuite.

In talking to the people at Dulux, they suggested that I go with a straight-white matt paint for the ceiling, and a straight-white trim paint for the window trim and door trim. I presume the door would also be painted with the trim paint. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

The Commercial in nice from my monitor! Not too creamy which was a fear of mine. The other at a distance looks mor bright and up close is just a bit cooler than warm as Commercial. I agree with a white ceiling as I believe I mentioned. Commercial looks great from what I see from my end/monitor.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

All u can do is try Delicate in the ensuite which you had not mentioned prior and I’ve not done research on the color yet. Apologies, I don’t have my glasses on so may have some odd spelling... etc :(

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Porter Edun,

Thanks! It sounds like I have a winner with the "Commercial White" in this bathroom :) I really like the look of it in the bathroom -- it seems to go well with the tile and everything else in the room :)

The "Delicate White" is simply the paint that I purchased for the Ensuite (chosen by the people at Dulux when I brought in samples), but I threw some up on the wall next to the "Commercial White" just for fun :) It's definitely cooler than the "Commercial White" which is why I think it should look better in the predominently-grey ensuite bath :) I only purchased a quart of the "Delicate White" so if I end up hating it then it's not a lot of money wasted :P

And thanks for the confirmation on the untinted white ceiling. Originally I was going to go with eggshell on the ceiling, but the Dulux people talked me out of it (since it would be too shiny and show imperfections).

As for the trim, I'm pretty sure that the doors should simply be painted to match the trim? So if I use untinted white paint for the trim, I should also use untinted white paint for the door?

Thanks!

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

You can certainly try it and I’m sure u will like it especially in the more cool tone ensuite. If u are not a fan of the door and trim in the room with Commercial, u can just try the Commercial on the door and frame as from what u say there will b plenty in the gallon. Happy to hear they have quart sample cans!

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

If you’ve only done a single coat PLEASE do another or even a total of 3! I always prime first over a darker shade when going lighter so if you haven’t done three coats I’d say of Commercial I’d try it so u are positive. Don’t want to be Deb downer, but just zoomed on my phone now see it’s over a fairly darker shade and want u to b positive and happy in the long run. Look at it AM to PM so u can b sure it doesn’t have a strange nuance da to night!

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Porter Edun,

Thanks for the tips on the ceiling/trim!

Yes, I already did two coats over the darker beige colour (because I could see some of the old colour coming through after a single coat). With two coats I believe it's fully covered, but I'll put up a third coat (just to be safe) and check it in the morning :)

Thanks for all of your help on this! :D

• PRO
    Gialluisi Custom Homes
    5 years ago

Don't forget to share the final result with the rest of us!

Tip: Go to www.gialluisihomes.com to get inspired for your future renovation projects.

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are some pictures with three coats of "Commercial White" -- I don't think it has changed by adding the third coat, and it still looks pretty good in my opinion :)

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

White would be the obvious choice, but I would get bored of the dullness in the colors. A bold blue.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I don't have a comment about the colour because that's hard to do with computers, but I would suggest that you invest in better (more durable) paint than Dulux -- Benjamin Moore or C2.

Bryan thanked User
  • Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion :) But I already have the paint purchased so I'm just going to go with the Dulux. I've used it quite a lot in the past wiht good results :) Worst-case scenario -- if I have paint issues in the bathroom I can just repaint them later -- there isn't much surface area being painted :)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Please post pictures when it's all done.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

“I would suggest that you invest in better (more durable) paint than Dulux -- Benjamin Moore or C2.”

Rooker Phillips Interiors: Assuming you’re speaking from personal experience vis-à-vis Dulux’s durabilty, what problems have you had with it?

• Sammy
    5 years ago

“In talking to the people at Dulux, they suggested that I go with a straight-white matt paint for the ceiling, and a straight-white trim paint for the window trim and door trim. I presume the door would also be painted with the trim paint. Any thoughts on this?”

If it were my bathroom, I’d probably use the wall color—Commercial White—on the ceiling and woodwork, too.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

In paint, you get what you pay for. Benjamin Moore and C2 are among the best. And you want a flat than can be scrubbed (that's the matte with C2).

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

From what I've heard, Dulux is supposed to be quite good but not as good as the best (Benjamin Moore and C2) or second-best (Sherwin Williams). I've had good luck with Dulux in the past.

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I'm just going to go straight white on the ceiling and trim. There are other whites in the bathroom (ceramics, quartz) so they won't all be the exact same white anyways. I'll also have white blinds installed on the window that won't be the same as Commercial White.

Thanks!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

For comparison, to the left of the "Commercial White" I put up a sample of "Delicate White" that I plan to use in the Ensuite. The "Delicate White" seems to have a slight touch of grey instead of beige

Curious if these are PPG colors.

Commercial White PPG 1025-1

Delicate White PPG 1001-1

Because I would expect the exact opposite.

Delicate White and Commercial white are similar but Commercial White is more gray and Delicate is more creamy.

Bryan thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Lori A. Sawaya,

No, these are Dulux colours, not PPG. I don't have the "Delicate White" colour sample sheets anymore (that shows the different shades of the same colour) but "Commercial White" is a lighter shade of brown, and "Delicate White" was a lighter shade of grey :)

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Bryan, good luck with the painting. As you mentioned you don't have a lot of wall space in the baths so if you aren't 100% happy with the colors as we discussed once the lighting is completely in (as it's only partially in as we discussed it may change things a pinch) then you are happy to paint again. I think that's a great outlook as you won't know until you've completed the project. It's not a lot of sweat equity and it's paint!

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Agreed Porter -- of all the decisions I've had to make about these bathrooms, paint is one of the easist and cheapest to change after the bathrooms are complete :) I'm also pretty confident on the paint choices you helped with :)

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

I hate to go here as again as I said it's PAINT not a 7K custom couch that can't be returned. Place your swatch list on what paper... you'll better be able to show the colors.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

No, these are Dulux colours, not PPG.

Your store probably sells more than one brand - like Dulux and PPG.

Dulux doesn't have a Commercial or Delicate White. Those are PPG colors.

Here's a link to Natural White from Dulux. https://www.dulux.com.sg/en/colour-palettes/natural-white-0

I suppose it doesn't matter what the name or number is on the can as long as you're able to keep them straight and are clear about which one you want.

The reversal in color attributes could be that they're mixing a PPG color in a Dulux product.

Again, grand scheme it doesn't matter as long as you get the color you want.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Natural White as well as Whisper White were discussed above in the thread... These are the colors Bryan wanted to try knowing he may change them.

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Lori!

I know it's confusing since I can't even find "Commercial White" and "Delicate White" on the Dulux website, but they are definitely Dulux colours and not mixed in with any others. I believe that Dulux is an independent store that only sells Dulux paints. I think they are in the process of creating a new colour system which is probably why the names are becoming really confusing :(

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

I figured it out.

PPG bought Dulux a while back.

PPG or Dulux, potato/potahto same difference. Same color collection, different branding.

Still... I would expect Delicate White to appear creamier and warmer and Commercial White grayer and cooler in comparison. {shrug}

And yes, PPG is rolling out a new colorant systems. About 1/3 of the stores in the states have already converted.

That color collection should remain intact - no matter what branding or prefix, PPG or DLX, before the color number. Which is good news because Delicate White and Commercial White are both workhorses in the world of whites.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

I know in roughly early Summer of 2017 it was a battle for the purchase by PPG to buy Dulux. Yet, back then it didn't happen. Maybe it's happened since? I'm not sure....

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's a pick with the primer and a single coat of "Commercial White" -- I think it looks quite good! For some reason it shows a little darker in the photo compared to real life. The ceiling is painted straight-out-of-the-can white, and I like it as well :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Perfection!

Bryan thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Looks great Bryan

• kimberly_reading
    4 years ago

Looks nice. What color is the trim around the window?

• Bryan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! The trim is just the Home Hardware brand “BeautyTone Designer Series Trim & Door” paint without any tint/colour.