SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justine_pojanowski

Repair of replace 18 year old discontinued Sub Zero Fridge

I have an 18 year old 700tci Sub Zero refrigerator built into my cabinets. The compressor was replaced in 2011 by the previous owners and some sealed system work was done the next year. I've just started experiencing failures with the freezer and may need a new compressor for it.

This model got discontinued in 2015, and it's the only refrigerator I can find that will even fit the small space (27"w 24"d), let alone new panels. However, there are a few dead stock that sub zero will sell me at a good discount.

So my dilemna is: do I continue to fix this fridge and hope It lasts another 10 years and then deal with the cabinet problem then (and the additional costs of that)? Or do I snag one of the last models that fits the space, pay the $6K, and never know if my old fridge would've trucked on for many more years?

I know, it's a gamble. The repair guy says keep repairing it and the sales woman says get a new one. Go figure. Any insights on the longevity of these fridges and the overall cost of keeping them going to 30 years?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)