SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deborah_defrank59

Huge window in what will be the shower

D D
5 years ago

Hello;

We are a couple of weeks away from remodeling our master bathroom. We've found a contractor, bought the flooring and vanities, but are still stymied by one problem, which is a 50 x 60 inch picture window (currently over the jacuzzi tub) which will be dead center in the shower . It's a white vinyl window, only three years old so the water isn't a problem for the window itself.

The window faces the street which is the main access for our subdivision, and the lower ledge is only 30 inches from the floor, so privacy is a huge concern. I've heard recommendations for frosting or glass block, but I can see through my next door neighbors frosted glass bathroom window only too well, and it wasn't wet (not in a shower) nor was it even night. The window will be getting wet (which makes frosted even more see-through), and my early rising husband showers when it is still dark outside, which defeats "one way mirror" treatment. Removing the window completely or replacing it with glass block isn't an option; either one would greatly detract from the exterior appearance of the house. I have thought about vinyl louvered shutters, but the shutter angle that would shield the view from someone in the driveway allows looking down from the street, and vice versa.

So far, I have purchased 4 stained glass panels to mount inside the window, but have concerns about the metal in the frame and joinery corroding and being susceptible to mildew. I've about decided to buy a smaller panel for a test application of one of the clear spray paints for glass and metal. Has anyone had experience with using spray paint in such a situation?

Thoughts? Advice? Experience?

Comments (12)