SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Ever buy a car largely for the color?

rockybird
5 years ago

I need a new car. My Toyota Highlander is 13 years old and needs too much work (11k).

My dream car is a range rover sport, but I’m doing two additions to my house and cant see spending the money on it. I just saw the new jaguar i pace reviews and I would love to get this in two years. So I am thinking of getting an SUV that will fit my bike inside and in a couple years an electric car.

So far I’ve looked at:

BMW X5 i35 with sports package (afraid of maintenance costs)

BMW X3 (too small)

Toyota Highlander (too much like my car)

Toyota 4Runner (didnt like models on lot)

Volvo XC90 (strong contender)

Subaru Ascent

VW Atlas and TIguan

This weekend I want to look at Jaguar Fpace (I LOVE pics of it but may be too small)

While looking at the VW cars I saw a trade in 4Runner TRD PRO With 13k miles on it. It’s not fancy, but I love it. I test drove it yesterday and decided it was too big for me. But then at the grocery store, I noticed all the women in even bigger cars (sequoias, land cruisers) and drove back to drive it again. I realized that maybe I dont see myself putting a dirty mountain bike in the back of a Jaguar or highlander. Or putting parrot cages with sharp edges (one tore up the console of my highlander) in a nicer car. This would be a good car to keep for many years In addition to my electric car.

I really like the color! Here’s the kicker. These cars are in hot demand. Toyota sold a new white one for 5k over MSRP yesterday. It sold in a few hours. This blue one has 5 apts. to view it today. But they are asking 48k with 13k miles. The new white one at Toyota sold for 48k! Toyota said they rarely get these in and there are no new ones for sale in my state. I thought I could wait for 2019 models, but then I saw they wont be offering this color of blue! It will be a darker brighter blue called voo doo blue.

So now I am stuck! Do I buy a used overpriced car for the color? Do I wait and take a chance I will like the voo doo blue one? Or do I settle for a black or white one?

The nice thing about Toyota is that they are on my way to work and offer Lyft, in case it needs servicing. Range Rover and Jaguar are 12 miles away In the opposite direction.

Comments (89)