SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_51603396

pothos dying after repot? help

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The past week, the oldest leaves on my pothos have been turning yellow. Only on one vine though so I thought it couldn‘t have been over or under watering, also considering my watering habits: once a week, about a cup of water for the plant, which was in a 8” diamater by 5.5” high plastic pot with drainage holes. I figured after it’s two or so years in that same pot, it was getting small and needed a larger pot. I thought maybe those leaves were yellowing because the roots needed more room to grow. I also thought it could have been the natural process, as only the older leaves were yellowing, but in the end I decided to repot. So I got a 16” diameter hanging pot that was 7“ deep, and proceeded to remove the pothos from its old home. The roots were curled around the inner edge of the pot at the bottom many times, and after much work, I untangled all the roots and found out that there were 20 individual pothos plants. There were few root casualties. I washed all the roots, made sure they were healthy, then checked over all the leaves for pests and pulled off the yellow leaves I mentioned before. Then, I started to move the plants to the larger pot, and once I was satisfied with the layout, added more soil and watered it. I used Miracle Gro Potting Soil. I did not fertilize after reporting, and I’ve never fertilized this plant. Now, one day after the transplant, more leaves have turned yellow (starting from the tips, same as before), and unlike before, a number of leaves have begun to curl, and some wilting and drooping. I don’t see what I did wrong, but I hope I can find help. Maybe I overwatered it? Am I underwatering it? Were the roots exposed to the air for too long? Or was it that I washed all the roots? The potting soil I used? Or was the new pot too much bigger? Maybe the new pot is the problem, with its coconut liner and no drainage holes? Is the soil too compacted? Or maybe it’s just transplant shock? thanks in advance i hope my plant survives

Comment (1)