SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Heading to Bakersfield, going to Burlington roses!

Lisa Adams
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I’m going on a little road trip tonight. I’ll be leaving this evening with my kitty, Sebastian, and heading to Bakersfield. I’ll be staying with my much loved “Bonus Daughter“, Sarah. We will be meeting Kim (Roseseek) on Saturday. He has a special gift for me:) I’m very excited to finally meet him in person, after all the help he’s given me here, and via emails.

We have an appointment at Burlington Roses on Saturday morning, after meeting Kim. I know I shouldn’t be acquiring more roses, with the hip issue and all, but you know how it goes. I’m not missing this chance to see and pick out at least one rose.

I was very interested in some purple roses that won’t grow enormous. Unfortunately, Sweet Chariot, Purple Buttons, and Lauren are not on the list Burling sent me. I do have a HUGE list of possibilities to choose from.

Any thoughts on some of these?

Huilito

Eugene Beauharnais

Benny Lopez

Roseville Noisette

Barbara’s Pasture Rose

Green Rose

Grandma’s Hat (I know, pink AND large:)

Jeri Jennings

Forestville ( I‘m confused about this one, and I had hope it was actually ‘Forest Ranch Pom Pom’, but I think it’s another rose altogether.)

Thanks for any help with suggestions. There are more on my list of possibilities, but that’s enough to ask about for now. If anyone has other suggestions that Burlington carries, I’m all ears. I am trying to avoid pink,(I love them, but have so many) and roses that will grow huge in So CA.

On an (even more) personal note, I’m a bit nervous about the 3 1/2-4 hour drive, with my bad hip. Last week I took a trip to the mountains with my family and had tremendous trouble sitting for so long. It was unexpected, as that was my first car trip that lasted over 20 minute, since my hip started bothering me so much. I now know to sit on lots of pillows, and stop to stretch my legs frequently. I’m driving at night, so it isn’t so hot for both me and Sabby.

I also have a heavy heart this morning. I just a received a sad phone call from my sister. A close friend of mine from high school‘s husband was shot and killed in Long Beach. He was a Captain in the fire department there, and his name was Dave Rosa. The department responded to a call regarding a fire in a senior living complex. Apparently the man who set the fire was laying in wait, and shot him and another firefighter. My heart aches for Linnley and their two sons. What a tragedy. It’s so heartbreaking. Lisa

Comments (118)

• roseseek
    5 years ago

Yes, that was, but that was in Long Beach.

Lisa Adams thanked roseseek
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

This thread is like going to a party with some very good friends, and you're the one throwing the party, Lisa. I'm so happy that visiting Burling turned out to be such a wonderful experience, and that came after visiting Kim, so you were doubly blessed. Burling's rose School Spirit is adorable. It would be interesting to know what roses she used as parents.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Related Discussions

where do you go to look at roses? (rambling again)

Q

Comments (27)
    I am another rose nomad. I've visited all four public rosariums in Sweden, a couple in Denmark, Sangerhausen, Mottisfont Abbey and San Jose Heritage Rose Garden and all the rose nurseries I have been near. But large rose collections can be overwhelming with the roses becoming a blur of colour where you don't notice the individual rose. But I've been inspired to get some roses from these gardens, Radiance, for instance, several Geschwind roses and a few Horvath roses. The Austin roses at the Rosen-Jensen nursery in Germany made me stay away from Austins. I didn't ask if they were newly planted and would get bigger with time but the small shrubs with oversized blooms didn't appeal to me. I am a member of the Swedish Rose Society and a big benefit is the chance to visit other members' gardens, the best way to find out how a rose does in my climate. Sweden is roughly the size of California so sometimes we have to travel some distance but we pack in as many people as possible in each car or hire a minibus. Last summer 10 members hired a boat to get to an island in the Baltic where a member grows 400 roses in very thin soil over rock and with constant winds. My new Valdemar climber is a souvenir from that trip.
    ...See More

Snow White and 7 dwarfs rose bed from Euro Desert roses!!!

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Connie, Glad to know theres others out there with the same mind frame. Have fun ordering your other three babies. OK Miss Northern Enabler, a.k.a. TJ, it sounds so adorable doesn't it. I do want to do it bad but I was so trying not to order any more roses and start filling in more with other perennials. waaaaaaaa! If only I had tons of sunny space to work with but I don't. waaaaaaa!!!! Anyways, I was wanting some more english roses so I will probably hold off for a while anyways. Hope you are doing well! Tootles, Judy
    ...See More

Roses by mail order - impressions of different antique rose vendors

Q

Comments (25)
    One thing to keep in mind about 'Edgar Degas' not being available until 2018 is that if its patent began when it was introduced in 1997 -- and it lasts 20 years -- that may be why Linda won't be making it available until then, since she can't begin to propagate it without paying royalties until 2017. I don't have much to add, since all the nurseries I've used have been mentioned. I will say that I do have them ranked in terms of whom I ask first when seeking particular roses: Long Ago Roses and Burlington Roses get asked first, because of high quality and very reasonable prices. If they don't have what I want, then I check Rose Petals Nursery or Angel Gardens. These two are also top-notch, but cost including shipping is a bit higher, though not much. These two also tend to specialize in what grows well for them in Florida, so don't expect much in the way of once-blooming old Europeans, though there are a few tucked in. For those cold-hardy oldies, I check High Country Roses. They also have a few hard-to-find species. If there's still something I can't find, I check Rogue Valley Roses or Roses Unlimited. RVR has an amazing selection, but their bands are at the higher end of the spectrum. Also expect about 10% or so to come mislabeled, but my experience is that 1) it's usually nearby alphabetically, so you sometimes end up with something you didn't know you wanted, and 2) if you do need a replacement, emailing some pics and calling the office will get the mistake corrected. RU also has a great selection, but they lean more toward the moderns than does RVR. But they also send hefty 1gal plants. This also means shipping is a bit more if you're not on the east coast, but it's not that bad since I'm in NJ. If I need something with faster impact, I go with RU. If I don't mind nursing something along, I go with RVR. I haven't mentioned Heirloom because I haven't ordered from them since the company changed hands. I will say that they're going more in the direction of modern roses, and the few remaining oldies I can easily find elsewhere. So it's not that I ever had a problem with their roses -- it's just that there isn't as much that they have which catches my eye. But I wouldn't hesitate to order from them should that change. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More

Need advice! Autumn Damask rose and my new rose beds

Q

Comments (46)
    Gorgeous pictures everyone and you've gotten great advice from people closer to your zone. Just a heads-up that you want to be a bit careful where you buy your Reine des Violettes, since there are two versions of the rose circulating other that name. I started with "Not Reine des Violettes", which is both thorny and a once-bloomer - so Ingrid gets the satisfaction of being right even in her temporary "error". The color is lovely and it climbs, and it has the peppery foliage smell, but no rebloom ever on mine. I have now ordered the real RdV from Burlington, who I trust to know that she has the real one, and it's thornless and should be a repeat bloomer. I'm sure other people would have the real one, but do ask if repeat bloom matters to you. Cynthia
    ...See More
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That IS depressing, Kim. I noticed she made several comments eluding to the fact that she wouldn’t remain open forever, but she didn’t give any details. She DID warmly invite Sarah and I to return this fall, and/or spring of 2019, so I don’t think it’s something that’s going to happen immediately. (I surely hope not! I’d selfishly like her to stay in business FOREVERMORE!!!:)

I’m actually still in Bakersfield. After a day like Saturday, there was no way I was up to driving home last night. Even this morning, I’m sore, stiff, and tired. Sarah and family left for a family vacation to Bass Lake last night, and encouraged me to stay as long as I’d like. I must say, I feel like I’m staying in a beautiful resort, and Sebastian is enjoying the quietness that naturally occurs when 3 children exit the house. I had planned to drive home tonight, but I’m thinking about extending my stay at least another night. I’m absolutely dreading my drive home, and if saw this beautiful place, you’d be tempted to stay, too!

Burling only had one ‘Jeri Jennings’ rose available, and Sarah had planned to purchase it, as well. Since I had just told Sarah to take Burling’s only available ‘Butterscotch climber’, Sarah insisted that I be the one to take the one ‘Jeri Jennings’ rose. This morning, when I went out to water everything, I saw that there are clearly two separate ‘Jeri Jennings’ plants in the one gallon pot. I wonder if I could separate one out, and pot it up for Sarah? I haven’t tried that before, and wonder if it would hurt the rose(s). I’ll take a picture of it when I go outside again. It’s very hot here, and I’m staying indoors, and the roses are well watered and in the shade.

Let me see if I can find any more pictures from Burlington, in the meantime. I just cannot express how wonderful she was, and how overwhelming all those roses were! I do remember seeing an absolutely gorgeous ‘Renae’. She said she prefers ‘Renae’ to ALMD because Renae grows so well on her own roots. I hope I took a picture, but if not, maybe Sarah did. I also saw an ‘Excellenz Von Schubert’ that was either grafted or pruned into a rose tree form, that was breathtaking. That one was obviously around for a while, because it was in a huge square tree pot, of at LEAST 75 gallons. The trunk itself was beautiful, thick, had lovely bark, and had bends and bumps. It grew to one side a bit, not at all straight up, reminding me a bit of an old oak tree.

My son is texting me, asking for instructions on what to water back home. I’d better call him, while he’s asking:). Then I’ll look for more pictures to add here. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, hoovb. It is terrible, and I can’t stop thinking about how devastated Linley and the boys are feeling. My heart just breaks for them. Kim, the reason hoovb mentioned it here, is because I am a friend of the late Captain Dave Rosa’s wife, Linley. This tragedy in particular really hit home for me.

Ingrid, I’d be interested to know more about ‘School Spirit’, as well. It was just lovely and must be very heat tolerant, as it was out in that blazing sun. (It’s 103F here in Bakersfield today.) Those were the last pictures we took before heading home, and I was about ready to drop by then. Because of that, I didn’t ask much about ‘School Spirit’. It looked like a more tall than wide rose, narrowish looking but upright without support. I know upright without needing support is something that would appeal to you. Maybe worth inquiring about by email? I was quite taken by it. It was unusual and pretty without being loud and garish.

I found some more pictures! Mostly just randoms, but at least they’re from Burlington nursery:)

Lisa

• jerijen
    5 years ago

I can't "like" Kim's comments, but they are true. Burling has said the same to me, as well.
    We have lost so many nurseries -- and I'm afraid we're going to lose more.

If you live/garden in Southern California, water is never far from your thoughts.

Lisa Adams thanked jerijen
  • jerijen
    5 years ago

And Lisa -- I suspect you can split those two plants. Do you happen to have a handy machete?

Lisa Adams thanked jerijen
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

What if you killed one by separating them?

Lisa Adams thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yikes! That scares me! I don’t want that to happen. Now I’m afraid to try. It’s dark now, and I didn’t take picture to show you all how they are situated in the pot. I’m dragging my feet about leaving here, so I still have time.

Can you blame me for enjoying my stay, and extending it?

And I’m so proud of my Sarah! She’s hooked on roses for sure! She even has her own little pot ghetto!

Here’s her Glorie de Dijon. It’s looking good!

I see new growth!

Lisa

5 years ago

I love this story, Lisa. Sarah having her own pot ghetto is adorable.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Remember this guy? Marc Anthony is kind of dangerous for me these days, with my bad hip. He SO easily knocks me off my feet. LOL Lisa

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    5 years ago

Would it perhaps be safer to remove them from the pot and wash off the soil/bare-root them, then try and disentangle the roots? I wouldn't feel happy at the thought of machete-ing our dear Jeri in two, either! Even if it just a rose with her name...

I've so enjoyed following your journey, Lisa, too, even though I somehow missed it for a while (am not keeping up very well with all the posts lately) and so came to it late - thank you for sharing it all with us. How great to meet Kim and Burling. I'm rather liking the second of Burling's babies, the semi-single pale lilac with the chocolate changing to gold stamens...mmm... Not that I'm much of a fan generally, of murky 'novel' rose colours. But stamens are often brownish anyway, so chocolate's not really so unnatural, just interesting. And that is a lovely shade of pale mauve - good combo. I wonder if she has a name for it yet? Maybe Burling's Beauty? Bakersfield Beauty? Is that where her nursery is?

I too think you should take your time recovering, dear Lisa, in those extremely comfortable (luxurious/ palatial, even?!) looking surroundings, before tackling that long drive home - especially if the family are away and presumably you're not inconveniencing anyone by staying. Are you dogsitting that handsome hound?

May I also add my belated condolences for your friend's and her family's terrible loss... and I have to say it, how tragic and senseless that a person with dementia, and thus not in proper command of their emotions, thoughts and actions, should ever be able to get access to a gun... I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but this is one aspect of American life I'm afraid many of us around the world will always find difficult to understand.

Lisa Adams thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

What a wonderful adventure, Lisa! And you’re a rose emissary as well! I love it!

My Sombreuil surprised me the same way as your Jeri: when I got it home to more closely inspect, I noticed that there were two starts in the pot together. Maybe insurance? I did just what Comtesse suggested, and took them out, rinsed away the soil so very gently, and then teased apart the root balls. Potted them up in their own pots (kept them nearby one another, for comfort, lol!) and then babied them for a few months; liquid seaweed, shade & plenty water. They both survived, and I think are probably healthier not competing with each other in the same space. :-)

Lisa Adams thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Lisa, I would strongly urge you to stay in that lovely place until you feel recovered. Constant pain, on top of all the excitement you've had, even though it was pleasurable, will wear a person out, and you're dealing with MS on top of that. I'm sure if Sebastian could talk he would be all for staying in that really nice place with those pesky kids removed! Marc Anthony is so cute with that long bony head. He looks very sweet, and probably doesn't mean to bowl you over, just can't contain his excitement about having you there.

I have a feeling that all of Burling's roses have to be able to stand the heat well since they're out in pots in high temperatures. Having ordered Bolero, Eyes for You and a Pioneer rose I've already overextended myself and need to put a lid on things. So hard to do when I get on this forum and am so tempted!

5 years ago

I'm starting to wonder if you hot ladies need Miss Agnes C. Sherman. Her petals have such substance. My band from RPs is a go getter.

Other roses fry and this one looks serene.

Florence BPT also looks happy.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh Sheila, please stop! Just like Ingrid, I’ve already overextended myself, yet you tempt me with more gorgeous, heat loving beauties! I’m nearly ashamed of myself, already, and my sons will be horrified to see what I’m coming home with. They’ve become my hole diggers, out of necessity, and they will NOT be happy to see all my goodies. Several were gifted to me, so how could I possibly say no? Of course, the boys don’t care if they were free, or they costed $100 each. It’s the digging in my clay soil in the hot summer sun, that they’ll be thinking of. I can already see their faces, and hear their groans when I reveal my treasures:). I’ve just counted, and there are 11 treasures!!! Oh dear!

Comtess, it’s wonderful to hear from you! I did indeed have a grand time! It was so special to finally meet Kim, and to actually go to Burlington nursery! When Sarah and I stepped out of the car and saw the hundreds (probably more like thousands) of roses, we literally squealed loudly and hugged eachother in delight. We must have looked like a couple of complete crazies! LOL That was the just the natural, spontaneous reaction we both had immediately. I think only folks here could understand:)

I have decided to stay until Thursday. It IS wonderful here, and Sarah and Willie have assured me they feel much better knowing I’m here house sitting. This way the neighbor won’t have to come feed the dogs or water. On another trip to Bass Lake, (a few years ago) the neighbor failed to notice that something wasn’t right with Marc Anthony,(the Great Dane). When they returned home, he was in very bad shape. It turned out he had found and eaten a large sponge, used to wash the car. He was saved by emergency surgery, just in time. So, they feel safer all around knowing I’m staying here. It suits me fine, and Sebastian thinks he owns the place, by now. LOL

He only lays like that when he’s very comfortable and relaxed, so I know he’s feeling right at home.

I love it here too, but I only venture out early and late, due to the high temperatures. It’s currently 101F here, while at home in San Marcos, it’s 75F. I do feel nervous with all the unfamiliar technology in this house. Doors lock automatically, and I live in fear that I’ll have one of my “blank out” moments and forget the code. I’ve written it on two tiny pieces of paper, one in my pocket at all times, and one hidden in the backyard. I can’t imagine being locked out in this heat!

This morning I watched the whole memorial service for Lynley’s husband, Capt. Dave Rosa. It was a lovely service, and he was obviously well loved and respected. Their eldest son spoke, and he did his family proud. He held himself together, something not many could do. It’s been a good while since I’ve seen him, and I’m happy to see he’s grown into a fine young man. I hope Linley is holding up. She looked so exhausted, to me.

Here is the Jeri Jennings rose. I’m torn between my desire to surprise Sarah with one, vs. fear of hurting one or both of them. What to do, what to do? I’m going to try to decide by this evening. That way IF I separate them, it will be cool out.

Lisa

• Sunny Gardener
    5 years ago

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! I feel like I've been on a rosy field trip. I really enjoy seeing how gardens grow in other parts of our nation, and I really liked seeing pictures from a holy grail nursery like Burlington. Thank you!

Sunny

Lisa Adams thanked Sunny Gardener
    5 years ago

Love, love the picture of Sebastian. He is such a sweetie. I was happy to see that Agnes C. Sherman looks a lot like my two Mme. Lambard bushes. That way I don't have to agonize about getting it!

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You’re most welcome Sunny, and everyone else. The trip was all the more fun, knowing I could share it here, with all of you! No one else would be so interested in the details. I get to relish the details all over again by sharing them with all of you. Another thing I’ve noticed, since I’m still in HOT Bakersfield, is how Burling’s roses are so accustomed to this heat. They haven’t flinched at these 103F temps. The ALMD that Kim gave me on the same day, is pouting a bit. She’s going to be 100% fine, but I can definitely tell she came straight from nice mild, “June gloom” conditions, to this hot hole. She’s just a bit droopy, in spite of full shade and plenty of water. (BTW, the water smells horrible here, in Bakersfield!) We should be heading home tomorrow or Friday, unless something goes very wrong.

Speaking of things going very wrong, I’m not in 100% panic mode yet, but we have the potential for a family emergency here. I’ll explain before heading to my sisters house in Hanford.

My father, who turned 80 last week, hikes a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail every summer. He’s done so for decades. He is a volunteer ranger, and does trail mantainance on different parts of the PCT throughout the year. Lately, he no longer makes this particular trip alone, but with friends or family. This time it was a real family affair with his children,(except for me), several grandchildren, in laws, and his youngest brother who is visiting from Holland. They left about 5 days ago.

Although I don’t have all the details yet, somehow the group was separated early yesterday morning. My father, my nephew, and 2 very young nephews were “at camp” with all the backpacks, while the rest went hiking somewhere else. I’m not sure why. They had little or no supplies with them, although I assume they at least had some drinking water. They become hopelessly lost, and wandered about all day long. During this time, one member of the group tumbled into the icy stream, and was soaked from head to toe. My Ome Willem (Uncle Willem) took a separate tumble and was superficially scratched and bruised, including a black eye, swollen shut. Near nightfall, they came upon an old logging road. My sister was able to call someone in Hanford, who was able to alert the rangers. Somehow the rescue team was able to locate them by a “ping” from Ingrid’s mobile phone. The rescue team located them and safely transported them out. They were back in Hanford around 2:00 AM, this morning. They are exhausted but other than Ome Willem being a bit sore, they’re all fine. This morning other strong, young family members headed out early to climb the mountain to find my dad and three nephews. Enough people went to carry each large heavy backpack. I’m not too overly worried yet. My mother is a different story. She’s ABSOLUTELY beside herself. She’s convinced that my dad has gone off alone, looking for the rest of the group. That IS actually a good possibility. However, my dad is NEVER lost, so unless he has an accident on the trail, he should be alright. I definitely do see him leaving Peter Jr. (age 25) with John and Aiden, at camp, (age 8 and 5). He’s incredibly experienced in the wilderness, but he IS 80 years old. They are in the Balch Park area of Sequoia National Forest.

We haven't heard anything from the family members that left to find them early this morning. Hopefully we will soon. I will update. Please keep them (and my poor mom) in your thoughts and/or prayers. Thanks. Lisa

2 weeks ago, left to right. Ome Willem, myself, and my dad.

I’m guessing this is a trip to America that my Ome Willem will never, ever forget!!!

• roseseek
    5 years ago

Thank goodness they are back in Hanford and I pray your dad remained with the others until they are "rescued"! I know you'll be delighted to leave the Central Valley water behind. Imagine what is causing that smell and taste...a century of pesticides, fertilizers and a couple of decades of fracking chemicals no one knows what they are, because, legally, they don't HAVE to list them. Ugly.

5 years ago

Miss Agnes looks like this today. Not like ML open really.

5 years ago

Lisa, I cross posted. I know they will find your Dad. He looks in great shape. So sorry about all the stress nobody needs. You have a wonderful family.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Praying for you and your family Lisa! What a whirlwind trip; I think you’re right, once all folks are accounted for, it will provide great story material. Let us know when you can.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’m delighted to report that all is well! My dad DID go looking for lost group yesterday, when they failed to return, but wisely stayed put today. They are currently in route back to Hanford, (by car) in much better shape than earlier group. The first group of family members are fine, but they are all extremely exhausted, sore, and sunburnt. What was meant to be a short, two hour loop hike, after breakfast, turned into a 15 hour ordeal. My sister said it was horrific, and she’s never been so thirsty or exhausted in her life. We’re SO thankful she had her phone with her, and was finally able to get service around 9 or 10 pm. My dad was worried about his lost family members, and knew something was wrong when they didn’t return, but he had all the sleeping bags, food, water, etc with him at camp. He and Peter B. took great care of the little boys. They suffered from worry, but nothing else. We’ve decided to postpone our 4th of July BBQ, until tomorrow. Everyone is just too exhausted, sore, and shaken up, but we have much to celebrate tomorrow!!!

Happy 4th of July, everyone! Lisa

5 years ago

Thrilled to hear, Lisa! He was so smart to stay put. The exhausted group will enjoy their party more with a rest up break first. Great news!

• roseseek
    5 years ago

Hallelujah! Congratulations, Lisa! Thankfully, a very happy Fourth, indeed!

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

That is awesome. I am glad your whole family is safe and sound. Your Dad is very smart man.

Well, more to celebrate tomorrow. BBQ , will taste even better . Stories to be told , memories and adventures for your Uncle to share when he gets back to Holland.

Happy 4th of July :)

Jin

Lisa Adams thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    5 years ago

Lisa -- so glad all of your family are now safe and sound. Yes, your dad is a ranger and experienced hiker, so knew better than to split the parties unnecessarily! Still -- what a lot of worry for you. And how WONDERFUL that your whole family has an activity that your father loves and they can do with him because they love both the trail and your father. I guess what might have been a bit of regret that you couldn't hike this year turned into a blessing for you!

I can't wait to see all of your roses thriving next spring in your photos!

Lisa Adams thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    5 years ago

That is quite a story, Lisa, and I'm so glad it had a happy ending, but I can imagine it must have been terribly stressful for all concerned. Being lost for a whole day and into the evening in the wilderness is no joke. Thank goodness your sister had her phone with her. Your dad is truly amazing for his age. You have some tall men in your family! When your uncle gets back home he'll have quite a story to tell.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, thank you for all your kind words. Last night was especially nerve racking for a while, but now we can all just be grateful that everyone is safe. I’m sure I’ll hear lots of stories tomorrow. Meanwhile, I’m outside enjoying one of the finger limes from Burling in my iced tea. Apparently fireworks are legal here, poor Marc Anthony is scared. I’m trying to calm him down, and it seems my presence helps. It won’t last long, though. I couldn’t sleep with all the drama, last night. I’m going to bed soon.

These finger limes from Burling are so neat! They look like jalapeño peppers, but contain little beads that you squeeze out whole into your drink. As I drink my tea, I bite into the little beads, and they explode in my mouth. Very nice! Here’s what they look like. Lisa

• roseseek
    5 years ago

The finger limes are also good in desserts and salad dressings. "Citrus caviar" is how they are often advertised. I love them in dressings, so when you chew the bite, the lime bursts across your palate. It's also delicious in tartar sauce for the same reason. Great with fish!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

What a relief , Lisa! I’m glad everyone is ok, but what a stressful time that must have been. Now we can all get back to being as relaxed as Sebastian the comfy kitty, and admire those beautiful little finger limes. Funny how in the first post you said you’d pick up at least 1 rose, and ended up with 11. Rose acquisition math: 1 + 1 = 11 . Having visited a great rose grower before, I know how that goes!

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

So glad to hear that all your family is back together. Sounds like they must have had a guardian angel or two! :-)

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

Wow Lisa what a ordeal for your family! I’m so glad to hear that everyone is safe with no major injuries. You have had an exciting week for sure! Sebastian looks like he is content and happy, such a sweet kitty, I’m glad he’s there with you. Enjoy the barbecue and have a great time with your family, it will be all the sweeter after all they just went Through. How is your hip doing after you have had a few days rest?

Lisa Adams thanked boncrow66
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all! My hip actually feels quite good! I can tell that I’ve been “in vacation mode”, and haven’t done anything that aggravates it.

I’m going to get ready to go to my sisters house and see all the hikers! I’m sure it will be a great day! I’m even bringing a rose, as a gift to my sister, after her ordeal. (That’s one less hole my sons can grumble about digging :). Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, I’m back. I might as well wait for the washing machine to finish before I jump in the shower. I thought I’d share a picture of the little cutting grown Louise Odier that I gave Sarah a couple months ago. She’s growing a new cane from below!

Sarah’s Royal Jubilee has a single bloom. By single, I mean it’s very low on petals. I think it’s from these very high temperatures. It doesn’t even look like Royal Jubilee in this photo.

• hugogurll
    5 years ago

Finger limes are Mother Nature's Pop Rocks.

Lisa Adams thanked hugogurll
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Exactly! They brought back childhood memories of Pop Rocks, when I was enjoying them. Great tip to use them in tarter sauce, Kim. I’m also going to bring some to today’s BBQ. I think some will enjoy them in a Mexican beer, too! Lisa

• roseseek
    5 years ago

Sounds good!

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

I have never had finger limes, sounds very interesting ! I wonder how they would do in a margarita??

Lisa Adams thanked boncrow66
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

I bet great with margarita. Have the rim of glass all lime fingers...sounds yummy :)

Heard they taste great in salads and sherbets too.

Jin

Lisa Adams thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had a wonderful time at my sisters yesterday. Today, I think I’ll head home. I have a few pictures to share.

My poor uncle feels fine, but doesn’t look so great!

the hike · More Info

The brothers are in good spirits, though!

the hike · More Info

Here’s the whole hiking group.

the hike · More Info

My sister took some great pictures!

the hike · More Info

the hike · More Info

the hike · More Info

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My sister planted 2 white Lady Banks roses, on either side of this arch that her husband and son made. I told her to be prepared to do a LOT of pruning. Those are going to get huge!

I snapped a picture of her Double Delight, too.

Some of the more interesting animals on the dairy farm.

Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BTW, the finger limes were a big hit in our gin and tonics, yesterday! Lisa

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Ouch! It sounds way better than it looks. So glad it turned out well. So, you bringing home any of that alpaca poop?

Lisa Adams thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Lisa, my goodness, I am just now reading about your families ordeal

Thank you Lord that everyone is ok. What a scary turn of events on what was supposed to be a fun hike.

I'm so glad that it all turned out ok.

Lisa Adams thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You know, I never thought to ask about alpaca poop. I wonder if it has any more desirable qualities for roses than horse or cow manure? They were grazing in a pasture with my sisters horses, so there would be weed seeds in it. They used to have emus there, too. I forgot to ask what became of them. We had a nice visit, and I heard lots of stories about the hike. My sister said that while they were lost, she saw some of the most beautiful sights she’d ever seen, but photos were the furthest thing from her mind at that point!

Comtess, I’ve heard back from Burling today, after I had emailed her. The name of her new mauve rose is ‘Connie Sandstorm’. It’s quite a beauty, and she kindly promised me one:) I’m posting the picture again, in case others missed it. I wish I had a photo with the chocolate center!

Burlingron trip · More Info

Here’s another juicy bit of news for those of you who are still reading this very long thread. I spotted a nursery Can containing a plant marked, ‘FOREST RANCH POM POM”. I asked her about it immediately, and she said she didn’t have any ready yet. She IS working on it, and will have ‘Forest Ranch Pom Pom’ available for shipping in a few months! I asked to be put on the list, and if anyone else wants it, I suggest you do the same. Her shipping is very reasonable, as she uses flat rate boxes, and charges exactly what the post office does. She talked about her business practices, and I was very impressed. She said many of her customers are on fixed incomes, and if she wants to keep them, she needs to keep her prices as reasonable as she can. She’s a great person, all around! Lisa

5 years ago

Lisa, your uncle does look like he's been introduced to the American wilderness in no uncertain terms. Thankfully there were no major injuries, and everyone had a wonderful and interesting place in which to recover. I very much hope you didn't start home today in this horrible heat. This is not traveling weather for you and Sebastian.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No Ingrid, I thought I might travel today, but not with these temperatures! I would have been home yesterday, if hadn’t been for the hiking incident delaying our get together by a day. I’m going to wait until dark tonight, and then decide. My decision will be based on two things. Are there any fires between here and home, via I-5, and am I too tired to head out? I could still leave very early tomorrow morning, like 4 AM. As long as there’s no fires, it should still be coolish, and there shouldn’t be much traffic. I can’t believe it’s so hot there! I’m jumping from the frying pan into the fire! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’m all packed up, and just need to put Sebastian in the car. I’m having one last cup of coffee before I leave while I wait for my sheets to finish washing, so I can throw them in the dryer before I leave. The roads look to be clear of fire. (Thanks again for the link, Ingrid. It’s really put my mind at ease.) The roses are all loaded up, and most are riding in the trunk. Only my precious Annie Laurie McDowell from Kim and beloved Jeri Jennings get to ride in the back seat with the A/C. I’ve had a word with Sabby about leaving them alone:) Actually, they are well protected, and he would have to work hard to get at them.

I guess the temps won’t be much cooler at home than they are here in Bakersfield, but at least it’s only supposed to last for a few days. I KNOW these roses will be happier with my water, than the stinky stuff they’re getting here. I can’t believe how bad the water smells here! It’s awful!

“See” you in San Marcos! Lisa

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Lisa, years ago, I lived in long Beach , the water was disgusting. Lol