SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imsuzz

abandoned log cabin

imsuzz
5 years ago
Took ownership of a log cabin that has been abandoned for 16 years. Summer cottage water access only. So excited to start restoring. Start cleaning it out last weekend. Any thoughts !!!!

Comments (1K)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Here you go. You put two sets of two beds stacked up and possibly either a pullout mattress under bottom bunks or a set of storage drawers. Max heads 12. It would be tight with 12 and 22 kids would require massive soundproofing (kidding!) but that’s the max.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

That is 14 x 14 square. Using 4 x 6’ mattresses Approx. Twin size would be smaller. So you have options.

• Related Discussions

Where are you #2?

Q

Comments (135)
    My soon-to-be ex-husband said that I had to be out of our inn by the beginning of the tourist season - July 4. For me, this would be not only our nation's day of independence, but a celebration of my own independence, too. I bought 20 acres of my very own. It is not accessible by car since there are no roads. But I have a canoe. With the help of some friends, I built my own cabin. Shut off, alone except for my dog Pitka, I am exactly where I want to be. Some people think my book is like Walden but written by a woman. I say that I simply love these Adirondack Mountains and am simply writing about my life. PAM
    ...See More

Log cabin paint continued.

Q

Comments (3)
    The orange ends is just because. It’s based on a resort in Canada that a friend went to and sent me pics. She knew how much I disliked this cabin and thought it would make me see it a bit differently. She was right, this whole developement is one brownish red cabin after the other so I wanted something more fun. Here is a pic of the resort from their website. The first pic is of the front of the cabin, no front door to see until you go up on the porch. The front door is on the side. Just one more thing to deal with on this place. Up the steps you see on left, front door is on the side there. The ”front” door on the carriage house is on the back, go figure lol.
    ...See More

Log cabin finished

Q

Comments (6)
    I was sorting out my strips today. I have lots of brown, blue and green. Where they all came from, I do not know. Next job will be fill in with other colours and then off we go to Log Cabin land. Thanks for the reminder. Yours is nice and scrappy. Neat borders. Theresa
    ...See More

Steel alternative windows for log cabin

Q

Comments (1)
    I would look at a hybrid fiberglass and wood interior.
    ...See More
  • imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Yes lots of options!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Slight modification. If you chose mattress size carefully you could put narrow steps in center for easy access to upper bunks. (This sketch isn’t perfect but just to give you concept). Once you figure out size of mattresses then you can figure out exact configuration.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

I'd probably do twin size mattresses at 75" long and 38" wide not counting framing for the structure you could get two up and two down on both sides with a 12-16" stair step, like in a "tiny house". If you got real ambitious, you could put the stair treads on hinges and make storage under each step! That would be cool! Just depends but I know from watching what you have accomplished here, the impossible for most of us is easy for you guys. Probably easier to transport twin mattresses to the island as well!!

• mvcanada
    9 months ago

@imsuzz, we feel your pain. We are also water access and moving materials over is a big job. We move as much as we can ourselves but sometimes have to call in a contractor with a barge for larger jobs. Glad to hear you've got a good plan for ventilation and a loft.

In my experience kids love bunkies esp as they get a little older and want a little getaway spot. And when they have friends up to the cottage they'll want to be out there for sure. But too many traditional bunkies were built with almost no windows and just become an oven on summer nights.

I'd recommend lots of outlets with built in USB ports. Every phone will need to be plugged in etc - the USB plugs are the ticket. And if you can manage it, a small lamp over evey sleeping area so the small kids who might be afraid of the dark can leave a night light on or read with a light without bothering others.

And lots of hooks on the walls to hang up clothes and towels etc.

Show us your plans if you have them!

• ker9
    9 months ago

Following…this is amazing!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Here are screen shots from HGTV Rock the Block spring competition. This is “bunkie” room that inspired my suggestions. Of course notice the center stair case. And the lighting and big window. Any ubs ports probably needed but if you are trying to “unplug” kids and get them living outside these devices might want to think about that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Check out “bedsinabox”. These are typically a dense foam that is compressed and rolled up into a tight fitting box. (Bought one for our son’s place with narrow doors) and you open it in the room and it pops out and reaches full expansion in short amount of time. Not sure of source in Canada but it’s the concept that could be ideal for your island cabin.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

You might want to add a foot to the long side of your building to accommodate your interior plans. That would be ideal. Maybe go 16’ long and 14’ wide. That would give you space for framing, insulation, sheetrock or wood interiors etc. And enough for adequate staircase.

• fissfiss
    9 months ago

Technology changes all the time…my new I-phone and I-phone use

• fissfiss
    9 months ago

A different port…stick to regular outlets.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Depends on your power source too.

• Otter Play
    9 months ago

Following again.

• ptreckel
    9 months ago

I know I am WAY ahead of the curve on this….but…when you eventually get to the point of making those twin bunk beds, you should look into something called “bed caps.” They are made for RVs and Bunk beds. They are comforters that have elasticized bottoms that slip over the bottom of the bunk mattress and have short sides, too. Makes making a bunk bed easy to do! Google it. There is nothing more difficult than trying to “make” the upper bunk. And in this tight space… I have purchased them for two sets of bunk beds in a Resort rental property. Fingers crossed….

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Such a good tip ptreckel.

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

@ptreckel, who knew? What a great invention for bunk bed parents.

• cindylouhoog
    9 months ago

Another bedding option is Beddy’s, a zip-up bedding system. I’ve used them in all my RVs. There are still contortions to go through when putting them on the bed, but the reward is in making the bed every day. Just pull it up, tuck in the side flap and zip it up. It’s kind of like a sleeping bag but with a fitted sheet bottom. When unzipped it has a flap on each side so you’re never uncovered like you are in a sleeping bag. And it’s available with a cozy minky lining too, nice for cool nights on a lake or in the mountains

• ptreckel
    9 months ago

Thanks for the tip, @cindylouhoog!

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Day 7. Starting to take shape! Floor down, insulated and all caulked.

• Jj J
    9 months ago

This has been a fascinating journal to follow. Your vision is remarkable!

• tztbn1
    9 months ago

Following!

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Framed in most windows and patio door. We are using the old windows that we replaced in our house. Need to purchase patio door either 5 or 6 feet and loft window. Definitely made some savings by repurposing. Next steps finish back wall by rocks and start framing roof. Out of material again

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Windows here are 66x 28. There are 2

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Front window is 2 windows stacked. Each 66 wide by 37 high. This will give us 74” height we are also putting a transom across top 28 x 66 wide

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Patio door is frame for 6 foot. Can be adjusted to 5 ft depending on what we find. All our shopping will be on marketplace or kijiji

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Pics

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Pics

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Wow. Coming along! Under roof before end of season?

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Yes that is the plan! May not be completed inside but we should have it closed up before end of cottage season.

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    9 months ago

It took a lot of planning with repurposing our old windows. Drove my husband crazy changing window heights. lol

• mvcanada
    9 months ago

Go with a 6 foot patio door, not 5. Speaking from experience, a 5 foot wide door when open gives you about 2 feet of open width ( when you account for door frames and stops etc) which makes it very frustrating to move furniture in and out. I curse our 5 foot slider every time I'm carrying something through it. 6 foot is the way to go. Check out Habitat for Humanity Restores. They get special order returns from Home Depot and Lowes so they are often brand new and a great price plus the added benefit of supporting habitat. They often have used as well.

Love that you repurposed your windows.

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    8 months ago

We’re getting closer!

• Sarah
    8 months ago

I’m so impressed with how quickly you work! What a treat this will be for your extended family.

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Drove into Bracebridge to pick up this 6ft patio door for $200. Started closing in but ran out of plywood. It’s going to be nice! 2 skylights will be installed, one for loft area other for lower level

• gdevlinjr
    8 months ago

Amazing how far you have come in such a short time frame. I am so glad you keep us in the loop with updates. Some of us are living vicariously through you 😊

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

Keep it up! Fall is coming!! Get ‘er under roof!! You can do it!!

• Pugga70
    8 months ago

I've been following since day one and am amazed at the amount of quality work you've consistently done to this property year after year!!! Your family will be able to enjoy this for generations!!

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I need your opinion!!! I have not finished the upper window. Would you do the vertical in white and the small 2x4 in white and keep big logs As is to match rest of ceiling? There is also a small trim piece around each window do I keep this wood? Paint white? Paint black.

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Closer view

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

Don't do white, it will draw the eye away from the view. I would probably do black or wood tone to blend in. Black will create a "visual frame" which would be nice. I think I like black best. Really coming along! Looks like you might finish this summer?? Amazing!

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Hi @Flo Mangan. All Black for verticals and 2x4s. Keep small trim under 2x4 wood? Keep big log as is to match ceiling?

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Full view

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

See if this helps.

• imsuzz
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Sorry I have not posted in a month. Right after my last post , my husband fell off the ladder from the roof of the bunkie approximately 15 feet and landed on his back. Broke 2 vertebrae in his back, he is slowly on the mend. Could have been way worse. Thankfully he is okay. Bunkie roof has since been shingled, our kids got a lesson on how to shingle and did a great job and cleaned up the site. We just boarded up the all window openings and got it closed for winter. Windows and skylights will have to wait. That’s it for this year.

• ladma
    6 months ago

Thank goodness he is ok! Have a peaceful, uneventful winter. I look forward to seeing you back here next summer.

• Otter Play
    6 months ago

Oh my goodness! Best wishes for a full recovery! §§ Great that your kids stepped up and are learning the ropes on this cabin building/maintenance thing. Those skills will serve them well down the line.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

OMG. SO sorry he fell. Praying he fully recovers. Praises for your kids. Plus, it’s sweat equity into the place from them. They will feel forever proud and demand good care of “their bunkie”! It’s a Blessing! Look forward to healing and next years injury free adventures! Safety is so important.

• Molly
    6 months ago

Oh wow that is so scary, glad he is on the road to recovery and that everything is winterized so he can have peace of mind about it.

• RedRyder
    6 months ago

I’m so sorry to hear your husband got hurt. Glad he is recovering and everyone stepped in to help get things set for the winter.