SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leigha_rae

Snakes in my house

LR B
5 years ago
I have been dealing with a snake issue. I live in an older home which has a dirt floor Michigan basement. The house is not sealed up tight and even if it was, I have a dirt floor basement in which critters can still come in. I live in the country with nearby water, so snakes in the yard have always been seen. This spring, over the last few weeks, I have found several snakes inside the living area of my home. One on the kitchen counter and about 7 have been found in the bathroom. I believe I know where they're coming into the actual bathroom at, but where they come into the house to get to the bathroom is another issue. I have a very large cement porch/patio that wraps around one side of my house. That is the same area that connects to the bathroom wall. I think there is a den inside the cement wrap around porch. My husband and I went into the basement and shined flashlights around to look for more evidence and we counted over 15 snake sheds around floor joists in one small section of the basement.

My husband and I are thinking of just bulldozing the house as it's old and needs work plus we've outgrown it. We would like to rebuild on our same lot. My question.....if there is in fact a den in the ground under the porch, will we still have a snake problem if we rebuild on top of the same area or will the snakes leave once the den is destroyed? I'm afraid their scent will be in our soil and continue to attract them for years to come even if we remove it. How do we remove the snakes, destroy the den (if there is one) and prevent this from recurring with our new home we plan to build?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022