SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ac91z6

How late is too late?

ac91z6
5 years ago

When do you stop planting for the season? The 'official' advice is at least 6 weeks before the first frost in your area. Some of us don't have to worry about that, but is there anything (like summer heat) that stops your planting season? What are your conditions like, and what drives your planting season?

Does it vary by type of rose - have you guys found some classes that take to end-of-season planting better than others?

Comments (31)

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That question I have ask so many times not on forum but at nurseries.

I am not sure where you are at ? But here in FL , we don't have any time limit. We can plant any month Bec it is so tropical. When I ask that question usually i get a sarcasm as "Are you a northerner than don't worry". Plant it anytime....lol

I don't like dealing with heat and humidity here in June or July but I do it in the evenings. So, I am still planting roses here and in July and maybe in August and who knows :)

I wonder what others have to say :)

Jin

ac91z6 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Same here, but I’m in FL too. I usually try to track the weather, and plant right before a rainstorm. Tropical depressions are great, because they usually mean several days of cloud coverage, so I prep my planting areas when hot & sunny, usually at sunrise or sunset because of the heat, and then plant like crazy when it’s cloudy. I won’t put anything in the ground if it’s 95 or hotter, but have been amazed at how resilient plants can be if heavily mulched & watered at planting during the summer. I don’t put anything perennial in the ground after Nov. and then not until Jan., if bare root, and at the end of Feb. if not dormant. I’d love to know what classes of roses are more flexible with planting—great question!

ac91z6 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Related Discussions

How late is too late to lay bermuda sod?

Q

Comments (3)
    They will slowly root in. They put in bermuda during November when they were building the house and they did root into the ground somewhat when I pulled them up to plant trees and others a couple months later. It will just look ugly till April when they start to fill in.
    ...See More

How late is too late to be planting in a cold frame?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have found that if you want to harvest veggies all winter long you have to start the seeds in the fall. There isn't enough light during the day to get much growth. You need longer days with stronger sunlight than what December brings. So, you could plant seeds for something like carrots that take a long time to sprout anyway and just let them do what they will or you could start some seeds indoors and then transplant them out in the cold frame after you harden them off a bit. It's always a crap shoot - if you start stuff too early and we have a mild fall you'll get too much growth and lettuce and stuff will bolt after one mild day (it seems) or you start them late and it stays cold and cloudy and nothing grows til Spring. If you have the empty space I say go ahead and plant something but don't expect a lot of winter growth.
    ...See More

How late is too late too plant in SoCal?

Q

Comments (6)
    If you have any deciduous trees around your house I think you can let them be your guide, when most of them have started leafing out from their leaf buds its probably OK to plant. Most years I don't think you have to worry about frost after March first, but I do remember one year when it was bitterly cold in March. For myself my clay soil is the determining factor. I always want to do a final rototilling to try to kill any weeds or bermuda grass that is growing where I plan to plant, and with clay the amount of moisture in the soil is very important, too wet and you have a sticky mess that clumps right back down, too dry and the rototiller blades just bounce off it and I have to get my 66 pound electric jackhammer and 14 pound clay spade for a total of 80 pounds to lug around to dig my planting holes. I also live near the bottom of the north west side of a hill so my yard is usually three degrees colder than the official weather report as the cold air pools in my yard, plus sunrise comes later because of trees above blocking the light from the east.
    ...See More

how late is too late for bareroots in hot climates?

Q

Comments (10)
    Well by the time we got the free bare root rose bushes it was June or July it was really hot out . I let them soak for several days and then planted them out there or put them in a pot and used a full Brown paper bag to cover it and just kept it really super wet. I just wet it every single day sometimes twice A-day in the heat until they leafed out . They are still there and it's been 12 years. Is it an ideal way ? Absolutely not but when you are given 13 free bare root rose bushes you do what you can to make them thrive.
    ...See More
  • seil zone 6b MI
    5 years ago

That question really doesn't have a rock solid answer. It depends on where you are and what kind of weather you are having. I'm in zone 6 too and generally we stop planting by the end of June. After that it is usually too hot and dry for the plants to do well. However, if the weather stays cool and you can give the new plant adequate water you can plant into July and even August. Some people even plant in the fall for next spring but I don't do that anymore. I never had any luck with fall planting and lost all the ones I tried to winter kill. Of course there are many different zone 6 regions and they all may have different time tables. Knowing where you are located would be helpful.

ac91z6 thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

Here I stop planting 12 weeks before a hard frost would hit... So around beginning of July...

ac91z6 thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm in northern MO, so we definitely have a winter to contend with but nothing like Jim's September frosts! Seil, we've got those hot, dry summers too - usually. This year has been so mixed up I don't know what to expect. Perma, that's a good plan - less watering and effort-free shade, just more time in the heat beforehand. Plumeria, humidity is awful - what we get is bad enough, I don't know how you guys in the South deal with it.

Lisa, have you noticed any classes that do better going into the ground at the start your growing season/winter vs. dormancy period/summer? Sounds like enough water and providing shade are key to getting anything through those summer plantings. I'm almost afraid to ask, but how much water is 'a lot'?

I was trying to decide if I should order a replacement for the Brother Cadfael I asked about in another thread, and got curious about just how late is too late to plant roses in different parts of the country/world.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I figure if someone sends it to me in Southern Oregon, then I'm planting it

I planted Darcy Bussel in Sept and she bloomed in to Dec. What a babe

Really. I don't normally plant after Sept. but that is mostly because by then I am too pooped to do any more

ac91z6 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

Anything I've planted after about mid-June doesn't have enough root system to survive my winters and I've tried summer or fall planting of roses many times. Others have found this to be successful, but I can't even overwinter potted roses that I plant later than about now. I don't think it has anything to do with the classes of the roses, though it's possible I could overwinter a summer planted Canadian rose because it's so hardy (though I've lost at least 2 John Davis roses planted late in the year).

Bottom line AC is that in our zone I wouldn't plant your Brother Cadfael till next spring. I haven't found that rose to be among the hardier of the Austins anyway and he needs all the help he can get.
    Cynthia

ac91z6 thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

It depends on how big/mature the rose is. A liner is risky for you to plant other than in early spring, about early May. A gallon can go in until August 1, at the very latest. Bare root, spring only. Fall planted bare root....no good in cold zones.

As a precaution, even the hardiest rose would greatly benefit from a heavy winterzation of medium pine bark mulch, mounded generously at around Thanksgiving time, on any rose planted that (this), year, regardless of size or being bare root. Winters thereafter, winter protection is dependant on the variety.

Moses

ac91z6 thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

We usually plant in the Fall, because then the rose (or any other plant, for that matter) will be watered all Winter by rain. However, here you can plant anytime, you just have to make sure the new plant(s) get plenty of water all Summer if you plant in the Spring or Summer. They need more water than usual to get established, and in the Winter Mother Nature does that, while at other times we have to do it, because our NORMAl weather includes NO RAIN from May to Nov.

Jackie

ac91z6 thanked jacqueline9CA
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I am still planting in zone 6a and 5b locations, have about 45 potted roses to plant from the spring order, they were potted bare root in April. We get a lot of rain from The Great Lakes, that helps the newly planted roses a lot.

ac91z6 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

AC, I just made sure the soil was moist at all times, without being soggy. I do have heavy clay soil, so it really retains water well. At first I was watering it daily. I just had my boys plant two ‘Bolero’ bands into the ground several weeks ago. I’ve been watering them about every 2-3 days, but it hasn’t been very hot yet this year. Lisa

ac91z6 thanked Lisa Adams
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

I guess I've been lucky, but I plant own root bands all season along. I usually have more to plant than is humanly possible, so I'm planting right up until it starts cooling off in fall. I put a bunch of bands in the ground last fall, and for the first time ever, I mounded shredded leaves around them. I've never winter protected before. All survived, but wow, what a lot of trouble. I don't plan to ever do that again. I didn't get all the wet leaves pulled away from the canes until just a couple weeks ago because we've had rain or wind, or both together, constantly - not our norm. No canker, thank goodness. I was worried about that.

ac91z6 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • User
    5 years ago

Here in Italy,with the hot,dry summers,planting season is fall and winter. I once tried planting out potted roses in the spring,and most of them died ; one did survive but I had to put it back in the pot and it took a couple years to bounce back enough to go out again. Basically Melissa's rule of getting things all planted out by Christmas hold true, though I have done stuff in January.Just goes to show that its different for every climate and conditions.

ac91z6 thanked User
  • boncrow66
    5 years ago

I tend to stop planting during the months of June, July and August just because it’s so darn hot and I would have to water everyday to keep the poor things alive in my heat. I plan on moving some roses this fall when it cools off but wouldn’t dare try now.

ac91z6 thanked boncrow66
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

If a rose is a potted rose, not bare root, I think in ground planting would be better now than the patio if you can water in the heat of summer.

ac91z6 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't have much of a choice with the roses I already have - due to the weather, delays getting dirtwork done, and illness, I have a bunch still in their nursery pots, waiting to go into the ground. But today I got 13 out of the pot ghetto and into the ground, and The Wedgewood Rose is in it's (hopefully) final spot. I'm hopeful I'll get almost everything else in the ground in the next couple days. We've got rain in the forecast most of this week, but I'll water on days we don't get any and keep watch - if they start drooping I'll rig a shade cover.

Based on what you guys have said, I don't think I'll try to get Brother Cadfael replaced this year - it would be at least another week before the plant would be here. Everything I have right now is in pots, nothing smaller than 1 gal. Hopefully winter doesn't stick around until mid April next year, and we actually get spring instead of going straight into summer temps.

My phone doesn't take the best pictures, but here's one - 'Winter Sun', 'Princess Elise', and 'Julia Child' in front of the tower, in that order. 'Lady of Shalott' has been planted for a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping she'll eventually climb.

Now I just have to put down cardboard and mulch on top. And keep on top of the watering. I'll be completely finished one day, I swear - hopefully before fall gets here!

• barbarag_happy
    5 years ago

I plant own-root roses, mostly one and two gallons from RU and ARE so the plants are good size. Here in SE Virginia, which is the northern edge of 8A, we can plant in April but sometimes need to protect the roses in the garage against late frosts.

Last year I ordered a bunch of teas, which love our heat. I decided on fall planting. AWK! We had a freaky winter and they were killed almost the ground. I've been here over ten years and have never had that happen.

So, here with my own-roots, no more fall planting for me! I could have easily lost one of those young plants and all 6 were terribly set back. They are not even knee high yet.

• verdantcroft
    5 years ago

Good information here. Fall planting is something I've always wondered about - how far before the first frost, and do roses have a definite preference, like fruit trees (which greatly prefer a spring planting). I never knew....

May try a Quadra this fall, if I can finally afford it, since AFAIK, there's only one source for it (Hortico). Plus it's supposed to be so hardy you could plant it January and it would be fine. (Any comments on experience with Quadra welcome, BTW.)

I'm in zone 7A, mid-Virginia.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

High Country Roses has Quadra too, although not always in stock.

• User
    5 years ago

What Barbarag write just goes to show that you can't always rely on "zone" stuff-at all! Here is about a zone 8b, yet fall and even winter planting is essentail for me! That said,I did almost lose an established own-root Archiduc Joseph,due to an overly-exposed planting spot and a freak late cold spell. Dug it up,potted it,now is doing fine,but won't be putting another tea up there,for sure!

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

In zone 9b, Northern CA, very hot, very dry, I now plant roses any time of year. The only time of year here that is tentative is during the 100 degree summer months. But after one year not being able to resist a purchase in the middle of the summer, I learned that with plenty of water and some initial partial shade protection, they did just fine. I think dealing with the hot end of the temp spectrum is workable for new roses. Sounds pretty clear from others, that dealing with freezing temps is another story.

ac91z6 thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Today drops in to the 80s. Lady of Shallot gets her new dirt home.. Maybe Bolero too. Finally!

At least one side of the front yard will be done.

ac91z6 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

You can always sink the pots into the ground that way the roses won't stress from heat, keep them well watered since, even in the ground they tend to dry out quicker, and even leave them to winter over. I haven't lost a single rose this way except to voles those nasty buggers.

sharon

ac91z6 thanked enchantedrosez5bma
  • RayGun (zone7bNY)
    5 years ago

I have 3, 1 gallon HT roses coming on Monday which will be going in the ground. I figure since they're more or less 'established' plants and if I keep them well watered they should be okay. Plenty of time left in the season.

ac91z6 thanked RayGun (zone7bNY)
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Sharon, won't that stop the roses from growing larger?

Or am I missing something?

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

jc, I think she means temporarily, as in until she can get them planted into the ground. I have done the same thing. It’s kind of a compromise between keeping them potted on the patio, (where they dry out quickly and need water twice per day in summer) and planting them in the ground. It keeps the roots cooler(summer) without actually planting the rose. In my case, I use this trick when my sons have dug the hole for me, but I’m not physically up to planting the rose yet. I just pop the container into the hole, mulch the top, and water as needed. It works great! I just need to remember that the rose isn’t actually planted in the ground yet. I once had a rose grow it’s roots right through the drainage holes and continue growing on its merry way! Oops! I ended up just leaving it. Roses grow enormous here, and it helped keep it “mannerly”, for a while:). Lisa

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Thanks, Lisa!

I have 4 bands that I might try this with.

I don't want to plant them in the heat of the summer where they don't get much shade, but I'm also worried about them drying out and/or burning in their pots.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Lisa, I did that, too - left a band in the ground, but forgot about it. You probably didn't forget, but my brain is older than yours. Northland recommends that you 'plant' the entire pot, water, then gently remove it, leaving the hole, push the plant out of the pot, and drop it into the perfect hole; then just water it in. I did the first part, then forgot about it. It was there for years. The bottom of those band pots are almost completely open, so it was happy.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

What Lisa said. If the pot is large enough the rose won't outgrow it in one season. I have a Vanilla Strawberry hydrangea that has been in the ground in the original pot for about 4 years. It is as big as the planted one and flowers as well as the planted one.

sharon

ac91z6 thanked enchantedrosez5bma
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I have done potted roses in the ground before, I cut the bottom of the pot off, so the root could grow.

ac91z6 thanked summersrhythm_z6a