SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_kuntry

Vegetable garden in jeopardy...

Big Kuntry
5 years ago

The night before last I noticed what appeared to be thousands of these tiny little creatures crawling all over the soil in my raised bed garden. I was late to get things going this year so I had to settle for bagged soil and a few already started plants.

Soil was a variety but mainly bags of miricle grow for raised gardens mix. Plants I bought were 3 different heirloom tomatoes, 3 or 4 different peppers and a summer squash.

I then had cukes, tomatoes, peppers, squash and melons I started from seeds.

These pictures come from cukes I planted individually in pots just because they were the easiest to see this morning. Sorry for the quality as I am snapping pictures out of a video I captured.

i Didn’t know if these were spider mites or aphids At first. I picked up some 3 in 1 as a last minute run to home depot was all I could make last night after work. Ortho 3 in 1 and it said it could take care of both those I mentioned. So when I applied to plants I got the undersides of leaves and basically sprayed the heck out of everything including the soil, never seen any moving around on the plants themselves but a terrifying amount in the soil the night I noticed them, an infestation if you will. Along with ants (not sure of the species and no pictures of he first night) My soil has pretty good drainage but has been a bit damp due to the rain this past week.

Plants do look to be damaged, my gypsy pepper has lost all but the top layer of leaves. Other peppers have holes in leaves and yellow/brown in color. Tomatoes seem to have been stunted in growth with yellowing leaves. Squash has damaged leaves yellowed/browned with some holes. Mainly all lower leaves other than the gypsy pepper.

shortly after the spraying and as of first this morning I have not seen nearly as many. Not much movement in my larger 10’x2’ bed but still a handful in this pot and a few in the other pots. (More soil in the bed for them to dive into?) I did dig around a bit in the bed but seen nothing. I assume this isn’t the end of that though.

My questions are, am I right about these being aphids? I think the spider mite is out after getting a better look. If not what are they and what can I do if anything to save out poor vegetables. I know where I went wrong with bags of soil and picking up plants, I just want to correct if possible.

Will the 3 in 1 help or do more damage here?

i will work on getting some better pictures but I have Not see them in sunlight or at least couldn’t, at night with flashlight has been my sightings.

Thanking all in advance for any help as I’ve never dealt with anything like this is my larger gardens before, at least didn’t notice it.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!