SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_barnett67

Good "compromise soil" mix?

Matt Barnett
5 years ago

After reading the wealth of information on Al's soils post, I am ready to step out of the store-bought soils and get into something that will be better long-term for my plants. Based on what I have been reading, there is a difference between what is best for the plant and convenient for the grower. The plant wants something that drains instantly and needs to be watered daily. Growers want to water as infrequently as possible, which means the soil should capture and retain water, which is not very good for roots.

I want to mix a soil that will allow me to (with a little preparation) take a week vacation and not come back to dead plants. I have used Spanish moss as surface cover on plants that are particularly thirsty to add a little time between waterings, and I suppose that would be an acceptable compromise if I had to be out of town for a week. As I live in Florida, Spanish moss is fairly dripping from trees and could be collected by the bushel in a couple minutes.

I know each plant has it's own preferences, so excluding the succulents on one side of the spectrum and plants that want their feet continuously wet on the other, what would be the components and proportions of a quality soil mix for the majority of houseplants?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting