SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

My new additions this year

Well I finally have enough pics to share of my newet roses. I will say I am having a hard time posting pics and have been really preferring Instagram.. if you are on there please visit me there . :).

I still read here everyday and comment but not as much as I feel like things are so jumbled

Mother of pearl

Comments (35)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh my goshhhh !!! Gahhh. Let's add pics again !

Mother of pearl

Colette

Bathsheba- I think I do declare:,favorite of 2018

Crocus rose

Peach swirl

Desiree

Delbard from roses unlimited I need to look up - oh ! Sonia rykiel

Sweet mademoiselle

Peach silk : I drove myself nuts for 2 years to get her! Totally worth it

Let's see if these post, if not I'm going to bed . Lol

Original Author
    5 years ago

I never cut off that errant cane from lady of shallot and I'm glad for it ! It has been blooming so nicely. It's neighbor is moonlight romantica and I can't get a good pic but they are gorgeous together

Moonligght

Generous gardener

Lucia doing her chores ! Lol she actually loves watering the plants and I can't do it with her because she takes over

• Related Discussions

a few more pics!

Q

Comments (2)
    Liberty is such a Wow plant. Yours is spectacular. LS Cindy Cee has not been a disappointment. Your earlier thread on this plant caused me and perhaps a few others to order it. Mine is coming from New Hampshire. Yesterday the news did a live shot from NH and there was still piles of snow in the background. Cindy Cee will get here eventually. Steve
    ...See More

Palms from vacation, updates on my plants and my new additions!

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Hunter, Ii hope u can get to Va! You will be able to have more of a variety of tropicals here. So, Brian and I are keeping our fingers crosses for you to head to Bedford!!!! But watch out for Brian, he'll try and bend you to "The Other Side.." LOL...He likes the Hoo's....(UVA) let us hear where you are going!!! Take care.. Im posting some pics for you on another thread of my trees here in VB Take care.. Laura in VB
    ...See More

A couple of new additions for me this year

Q

Comments (9)
    Hey Carol, I took that picture of Charles de Gaule late in the evening with the camera set at high ISO. Although the color was enhanced a bit in that picture it is a nice dark purple. It gets full sun all day long, like all my rose bushes. It's the first year bare root from Palatine, I have two, both are healthy and love to rebloom. Here is a picture in full sun with my phone, Blue girl is in the imediate background and you can see it's much darker. Don't look at the uncut lawn, we have had unusually hot and dry weather and I don't want it to burn. This post was edited by A_Roy on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 13:37
    ...See More

First post of the year! Last new addition of 2014 went to: Buddha!

Q

Comments (6)
    My, those plants of yours are beautiful, David, and so well-cared for. Long life to them. Thanks for showing them. It would be interesting to see them in a few months time.
    ...See More
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

Wonderful collection, thanks for sharing! I especially like Colette, Peach Swirl and Sweet Madmoiselle. Did you get put on a wait list to get Sonia Rykiel from RU? I’m currently on a wait list.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Wow, I see why you love Bathsheba. What a beauty. Lady of Shallot looks lovely with her moonlight neighbor

I always love your photos, thank you for sharing

Original Author
    5 years ago

Ben , I did get Sonia last year .. I really like it ! It does flop so I have a trellis for it to drape on. Sorry I know I said it was new this year but as I was looking for good pics I through it in .

Thanks Kristine ! Glad you enjoy the photos . Here's more , it seems Lucia did not show up

Spirit of freedom

English perfume ( I haven't noticed fragrance yet ?!) but sure do love the ruffles

La park : looking like the Claude Monet I can't get so I think it cures the desire for it . :)

Oh one I adore is ascot !! I can't at all get the color correct. It's as beautiful as Diane posts .. so glad I ordered it . Thank you Diane for the photos and influencing me !

Carding mill looking lovely

Roald dahl

Have to throw this in here ;)

• nilaa_7a
    5 years ago
    Wow Lilyfinch, every picture is beautiful. I think you have all shades of peach rose. :D It's a peach and pink heaven.

Nila
    Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked nilaa_7a
  • hcarnevale
    5 years ago

You are 2 zones warmer than me, but I’d still love to know how large Bathsheba and Roald Dahl get for you. I realize they are new, but have you seen any disease issues with either yet? Do you have much blackspot pressure where you live? All of them are beautiful. I’ve been debating on Ascot for a couple of years now myself but I’m running out of room...

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked hcarnevale
  • hcarnevale
    5 years ago

I forgot to add that I know you are a Clem addict too. Do you have any new ones this year that you are loving? I just received another order from Donahue’s this week.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked hcarnevale
  • lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

Wonderful Lily, so beautiful! Mother of Pearl and Colette really stood out to me. Do they fade in your sun? Do you have any favorites regarding fragrance? I'm afraid to ask since they aren't pictured, but how did Amazing Grace work out for you?

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked lavenderlacezone8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Heather : my favorite so far of my new clematis is chatsworth. It's really unique! And you made me realize I had been waiting for Vancouver sea breeze to bloom and I think i got the wrong one :/ gonna have to get it fixed. Just incase , have I bragged to you about Margaret hunt ? For sure , favorite clematis.

Heres chatsworth .

I get terrible black spot . None on Bathsheba or roald dahl! Bathsheba has a honey fragrance that is divine and roald does have fragrance , light and pleasant for sure ! It's very short still but has been bloomingits head off. Bathsheba on its way to being 3ft tall already, and rohald is less than 2 still .

Roald : buds everywhere!

Jolly good is very cute too

Solina is doing great too . It's bluer in real life . It's planted with setser noisette

Here is amazing grace! It's huge!! Poor thing has blackspot though. Really takes a while to open which is nice . I need to cut one for indoor next round

Mother of pearl does not fade in the sun . Colette does go trough a color change , not fading in an unpleasant way , just getting paler . Does that make sense? I'll have to try to get photos. It's so lovely ! And vigorous. I have a lot to tie up before they attack my husband on the mower :)

mother of pearl today

Windermere : yes it blows in a few days but so many blooms I don't mind

Ldy of shallot .. also a favorite! It's so beautiful

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!! :)

nila : I ordered so many peaches this year! They are so joyful.

5 years ago

I have two lady of shalott for the front yard. They are in pots blooming like crazy and they are already one of my favorites. The color is so beautiful and the shape is really nice.

Yours is so fabulous!

• lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

Oh my goodness, that Mother of Pearl! Please report back if you don't mind on AG in the vase. Trying to get to the bottom of why she shrivels for some us, thanks!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I love every one of your roses - we like the same rose form and color. Easy to see why Bathsheba is a favorite. Do you have Mary Magdalene? Are they similar? I've almost ordered English Perfume so many times, but fear it's too cold here. Ascot is gorgeous in form and color. Mother of Pearl never fails to please. Even when neglected, she covers herself top to bottom with those luscious blooms. Roald Dahl is such a nice yellow, a color I have trouble with. Moonlight (Meilland) is one I hope to add next year. I have Kordes' cl. Moonlight, soft yellow with pink edges. You'd like it. I also love seeing your clems. My new ones are Joan Picton and Princess Diana and another Venosa Violacea. I've had Vancouver Sea Breeze for several years, and it is a favorite. The blooms are the largest of all my clems and last a long time. Thanks, Jen, your photos are always a treat. That little blondie of yours is the prettiest flower in your garden.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Lily, you posted 10 photos, this is wonderful for one post. Maybe they are fixing things. Beautiful photos.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
    5 years ago

Beautiful roses and photos! They ALL look great!

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    5 years ago
    They are all very lovely! You were definitely on a peachy/cream trend this year!
    Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    5 years ago

Sweet mademoiselle and Peach swirl are my favorite.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Lily - lovely roses!!! I especially love every rose you posted in your first post!! Oh wow!!! Your Raol D. one has as many flowers as Julia Child...from afar they look very similar. Your rose showcases its bloomability! :)

Carol

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked rosecanadian
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

So gorgeous. I just want to climb inside my computer to visit your garden!!! Your roses and gardens are exquisite as is your pretty little helper!!

sharon

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked enchantedrosez5bma
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

Lilyfinch,

I only have (really, had), one rose of those you have provided those exceptional photos of, Carding Mill. You know what that means, don't you? Write down all their names, study them up, and see who has them for sale. Your Mother of Pearl and Amazing Grace really got my attention.

Lilyfinch, am I right in my understanding that you, in zone 7, do not winterize any of your roses? They are all putting on such phenomenal size going by the rose garden tour you posted earlier. No, or inconsequential winter dieback then, I assume? What great care they are getting. Your hard work shows.

O.T. How is your zinnia bed doing this year?

Moses

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone! I must show Bathsheba again . I dragged my husband down to admire it and he was a good sport but I want to shout from the rooftops how lovely it is!

Sharon, I wish it were that easy to have y’all visit ! I really do .

Modestgoddss , I can’t wait til sweet mademoiselle takes off . It looks so vibrant! And peach swirl can be seen from far away!

Flowers- I do not have Mary Magdalene ,but if you follow judy on Instagram you can ask her , I know she had it !

Next up is la park , very impressive! This is an evening shot, the next is in the am . I guess they fade a bit but I don’t mind

Carol : roald Dahl’s blooms are so much smaller than Julia . You need both ;)

Just for fun

I’ve had this bench since last summer and when I dragged my husband out he said , when did you get this ? Is it new ?

My word :).

Thats ok, just leave me be to spend all my money in the garden and you not notice. It’s for the best :)

Original Author
    5 years ago

Moses! Would you believe as I was typing, so we’re you and I was thinking of you , and to email you! My zinnias are in full bloom ! I need to get a good pic, I only have my phone now and that’s hard for such depth . But they are wonderful! I added cosmos too, but only the orange sulfur ones are blooming now. I will get photos hopefully tomorrow. Today it was cloudy and dreary for pics. I really love the zinnia bed so much and will always think of you when I plant them! They are so joyful !

Now don’t go rushing into amazing grace . Im not sure it has the stamina yet. It does need treatment for black spot for sure . How is your soer Emmanuel? That one is doing amazing here.

I do not winterize here . Usually not much dieback but this spring I did have some . But everything’s growing like crazy ! I’m happy for that . Especially my palatine plants !!

More pics for you tomorrow dear Moses!! :)

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Lily - seriously!! He didn't notice your bench...LOL...good to know for future purchases...heh, heh, heh. ;) Your Bathsheba is exquisite!! The petal formation is really unique! I've never smelled a rose that smells like honey...wish I could smell it!!!

Carol

5 years ago

Lilyfinch, ok, you've sold me on Bathsheba! I think I'm going to have to start a list for 2020! I've already got a mile long one for 2019 by unintentionally making an order from a new nursery in CA. I could call and take my name off, but why would I want to do that?!

I do grow Mary Magdalene myself and thought Bathsheba looks like her. I don't know which Judy on Instagram you are referring to. I would like to see her gallery.

Here's Mary Magdalene for comparison.

Is it just me, or do they look identical? There is one difference, however, MM is a smallish shrub.

5 years ago

Mary Magdalene is indeed gorgeous

5 years ago

Speaking of zinnias, mine have been under siege this season. I have been dousing them with diatomatious earth. 3 looks so raggedy that I am going to remove them from the new planting bed. I have some cool ones that I started from seeds. I have been watching them like a hawk

Remember I ordered salvia from High Country Gardens? Look at that color, whoo hoo

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Flowersaremusic -- your rose look more like Evelyn than Mary Magdalene in my opinion. :) It sure is gorgeous!!! I love that look. :)

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked rosecanadian
    5 years ago

You're right, Carol. MM is quite the chameleon. She does look like Evelyn, now that you mention it. I just looked her up on HMF, and she's all over the place from white to yellow to pink to apricot, even in the same garden. Mine changes according to the weather.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

The pictures keep getting better and better, Lilyfinch. I love the bench shot. Is La Park strongly fragrant for you? I grow it too, it definitely has a scent, but a rather strange one, not sure what to call it.

5 years ago

Lilyfinch, Bathsheba is a stunner. Is it new this year? I guess I am intrested in its disease resistance. I have 3 roses that are contiually covered in black spot and I can't get rid of it even after spraying it religiously with neem oil.

I am too old to mess around I only want roses that I don't have to deal with every day for black spot.

Bliss is a contender for that spot .

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

Lilyfinch,

Chantal Merieux is showing unexpected progress. It has bloomed very nicely. The blooms are quite cupped, densely packed with petals, strongly quartered, and long lived on the bush. The fragrance is intense. What mostly surprised me is how quickly new laterals begin to emerge after being dead headed. It really wants to keep going, no sulking.

Her foliage is not the best for me. It is ribbed, not a serious liability...just an observation. It may be a temporary condition. The leaves are not flat. There is a puffed up section between each vein, spinach like. This may be a response to too much heat. CM's foliage may do better in cool weather, will see.

All in all, she is showing great promise. I never expected such a turn around after not producing one flower last year, although I got her late. I think she is the kind of rose that kicks into reliable bloom once a more mature age is reached, not being a precocious bloomer as a youngster. Of the liners I have left, I took out Beverly (poor winter hardiness even with heavy protection and the flower, although very fragrant has poor substance....does repeat very quickly, though), and put a CM in her place.

Looking to see the zinnias. If those cosmos are Cosmos sulphureus, they are one of my favorite annuals. Blooming machines, easy to deadhead, and they have a softening, but bold presence, with no give in them until frosts come. The seeds are so easy to harvest, too.

Your little assistant lives in a wonderland of flowers and love.

Moses

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

Kristine, I have Bliss this year from Palatine. Her flowers are huge, foliage clean and nicely scented though not as strong to me as Kordes Summer Romance or Earth Angel but a more delicate scent. I also bought Princess Charlene de Monaco at a local nursery. Her blooms are exquisite, (do I use this descriptor too much, lol), and she has a stronger scent that wafts probably 15 feet away. She seems like she'll be taller than Bliss though, if that's a concern, but just as lovely and healthy.

Lily- I have Soeur Emmanuelle from Palatine this year. She's much taller than I thought she would be so will need to be moved to a different spot. She has very narrow columnar growth, at least this year, is very healthy and quite a few buds are just starting to open.

sharon

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

Thank you Sharon for the review on Bliss. I am looking for something on the shorter side. I am going to do a mass planting ( well, 3 or 4 lol) of something. It is prime real estate and a focal point so I am taking my time deciding. I appreciate your Input.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Flowersaremusic - pretty interesting about MM....she's sure gorgeous, that's for sure!

Carol