SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aileensiu

Revamp a river rock bed patch overgrown with weeds...

A S
5 years ago

When we moved into our house 5 years ago, we acted too quickly and removed the grass along the side of the house and put in new river rocks. Wrong and total disaster now that the weeds have overgrown the 4'wide x 75'long strip.

My first planning was to rake out the rocks and start over again but this time with more layers of weed barrier. I wanted to use cardboard as my base layer but am afraid of inviting termites so I've scratched that idea. So then I thought of first using the left over fabric weed barrier we have, install a new layer of heavy duty weed barrier (below link) and then put a debris mesh over then the rocks last. I'm hoping that the rocks will come along with the debris mesh when we pull it if needed to remove again in the future. Not even sure if this will work.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/weed-barrier-20-year/s

We live across from a park which is overgrown with weeds. I get weeds and leaves blown all over the side of our house from the park.

Should we try to use some of the space for some gardening instead of all river rocks again? I was thinking that with the minimizing of space, the weeds might not take over that quickly? I had an idea of putting in hostas plants every couple of feet and in between each of the hostas plants, we put a vertical barrier to prevent weed rhizomes from traveling. Even talking about it is a lot of work!

Since we can't fight against it, we should work with/around it?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting