SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phorton61

can this sofa be saved?

phorton61
5 years ago
After my mother-in-law died, we decided to keep her dining room suite and shipped it to our house in another state. Well... since we had a shipper lined up ... why not keep a few pieces and send them as well? The main one was a Duncan Phyfe empire style sofa covered in white damask. In her rather elegant living room with high ceilings, elaborate millwork, and geegaws galore it was fine.

Now it's at my house and we're renovating the whole downstairs. I do have a living room area for it but I am flummoxed how to make it into something that will fit into a more transitional, comfy and modern-ish house.

My original plan was recovering it in some fun bright fabric... (think Robert Allen "Neo Toile") ...yeah okay ... then my plan comes to a dead end as I can't imagine what kind of other modern day furniture to put with it so that it doesn't stick out like a giant anachronism. I do NOT want this room to look like Granny's Parlor.

So now I think I'm gonna sell it ... unless someone can convince me how this could look great.

(And please don't suggest I go buy more antiques to go with it -- I'm a little tired of dragging around other people's old stuff )

Here's a pic of a very similar item, the actual sofa I have is in storage right now.

Comments (59)