SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalcon_gw

picea orientalis firefly woes

jalcon
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Ok, so I bought this Picea orientalis firefly less than a week ago. When it came, it was wrapped in a plastic bag. I am NOT ready to plant this, and won't be till the fall. Yes, probably shouldn't have ordered it but was afraid it wouldn't be available in the fall. Where I plan on planting it isn't ready, in fact there is a few dwarf pine there that I am getting rid of..that project isn't happening until fall. So.. planting it there and getting it in the ground isn't an option. Anyways, bc of all this, it obviously can't stay in the plastic all summer, so I put it in a regular black nursery pot of similar size. I made sure to not disturb the root ball any, and placed it right in. I added a little medium around the sides of the new pot. I figured, keeping it out of the direct sun and keeping well watered, would surely make the plant happy enough. Well... no such luck. This plant looked perfect just four days ago, and now... browning and fast. Amazing for a conifer really. It HAS been 90+ degrees here both yesterday and today but again, this has been kept moist and out of the direct sun. The first pic below is it just three days ago, Friday.. looking perfect.. the rest are of tonight. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated as this was not a cheap plant at all. Thanks in advance.

Comments (26)