SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

bungalow interior doors: all 5 panel or some 3 panel accent doors?

girl_wonder
5 years ago

I own an 1940s bungalow; the original 2BD/1BA house has solid wood 5 panel doors. The master bed/bath addition, done in the 80s, had cheapo hollow doors, which I replaced to match, so currently all the interior doors are solid wood 5 panel doors. I'm planning to remodel. Is it a grave faux pas if I choose 3 panel doors in some accent spots? Some spots I was considering:

a) the pair of pocket doors leading to the office from the kitchen

b) the fire-safe door leading from the mudroom into the garage

c) the powder room pocket door which is near that garage door. (due to proximity)

If I choose 3 panel doors leading into the office, what style of sliding doors should I use in that room's closet? 3 panel, since they will match or ? FWIW, the opening to the office will be 5 feet wide, so the doors will be narrower than 3' wide each, which can make the horizontal panels look more square, than narrow rectangles. Thanks for your thoughts

I could only find the pair of 5 panels in dark wood

One dream is to have the top of the 3 panel doors into the office be glass like this (no sidelight). Realistically, I'd start with plain glass and then in time would hire someone to make stained glass.

Comments (18)