To refinish my 1950's Florida terrazzo floors or not...

Linda
I am in a quandary as to what to do. I need to replace my carpet but underneath the carpet in half the house (no terrazzo in the two room additions) is a terrazzo floor that doesn't go at all with my decor that I have now which means new paint and probably new furniture due to the styles not working that I can see. But besides this, the living room opens into the dining and family rooms (the blue rooms in the photos) which are the rooms that don't have it, so I would have to put carpet there, but not sure how that would look and even what color to get. Also, I remodeled my galley kitchen a few years back and put white tile over it as it was just too dark for such a small space, so then I would have 3 different surfaces. I want to to keep my coral and Ming green bathroom, but that is for another thread. Would love any help or suggestions as to what to do with the rest of the house. Will attach a close-up of the terrazzo ( it is light and dark grey, white, pinkish-coral and turquoise) and the rooms that are causing the problem.
SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Amy Stanley
I think if it had been in the kitchen still I would have worked with it and matched a carpet to it- but since you did away with it in the kitchen I would continue the trend through the rest of the house. What about a floating wood floor for dining room and living room?
Save    
Linda
Amy, thanks for responding but may I ask what you mean by "continue the trend through the rest of the house"? Tile? And not too sure about a wood floor in the dining and family room as I am not too sure what is under the carpet as I bought the house this way, but do know that the dining room was the back porch, so on second thought, there may be terrazzo under it but I know it would not be in the family room which dips a bit as you enter it.
Save    
Amy Stanley
Sorry I meant you already took a step towards modernizing the flooring with the kitchen so I would probably continue with the rest of the house.

I don't mean with tile but with another flooring.
Save    
Sarah Shellman

What became of this project? I'm about to have my bedrooms' carpet removed and the same color/style/pattern terrazzo restored. I'm looking for styling ideas and photos, but this particular seems to be really specific to modest 1950's Florida houses (almost all have had it covered or replaced as they've been renovated and flipped).

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Floors Make Your Floors Terrific With Terrazzo
Durable, sanitary and unique, this bespeckled surface is a winner for floors, walls, countertops and sinks
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Terrazzo Makes a Comeback for Floors and More
Popular from the 1400s through the mid-1970s, this mosaic material is staging a return in homes today — including in some surprising uses
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: 1950s Rebound for a Cliff May House
Loving restoration brings a midcentury gem back to life and its owners to the kind of life they love
Full Story