SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skiba2

Need suggestions—cat bullying small dog

skiba2
5 years ago

I rarely ever post here, but I am in serious need of some advice. We have two cats, one is 10 years old and one is 16 years old. We used to have three dogs, a basset hound/lab mix, a chihuahua/terrier mix, and a boxer/hound mix. Over the past year, two of our dogs have died from old age, leaving the 2 cats and the boxer mix. We adopted a small chihuahua mix about a week ago. He is the smallest dog we have ever adopted at 6.5 pounds. Our 10-year-old cat, Topper, usually weighs somewhere around 17 or 18 pounds. Topper has always chased the other cat in the household, which she hates, but left all of the dogs alone. The basset hound mix was 50ish pounds, the chihuahua mix was a stocky 12 pounds, and the boxer mix is 94 pounds. When he jumps on or chases the other cat, I have used a spray bottle filled with water and squirted him with it or walked up behind him to “break it up.” This has really helped to reduce the number of incidents. But in the past 2 days, Topper has started bullying the new dog. The dog was a stray who wound up at a high-kill shelter and was taken from there by a rescue group, where he was moved around to different foster homes a lot, until we adopted him. He is very timid and mistrustful of people, but warms up quickly when treated gently. We have seen him progress a lot in just the week that we’ve had him, but now Topper has started bullying him—chasing him around the house, rousting him out of doggie beds. The dog runs away and squeals continuously as he runs. It sounds pretty horrible, although the cat is not touching him as far we can tell. We’ve been trying to use the spray bottle technique with him, but in chasing after the cat with the bottle, we’re also giving the dog the impression that we’re chasing after him. We have also been putting the cat in a separate room when we have to leave the house, but they can’t be kept in separate rooms all the time. I’m worried that this problem will cause him to become more fearful and regress rather than continue to progress. Any suggestions anyone can give would be appreciated, other than returning the new dog to the rescue organization. He has been shuffled around so much in his short life that we do not want to make him go through that again. We want to find a way to make it work for all of the animals in the house. Thanks!

Comments (13)