SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beauathia

What color(s) should we paint the cabinets?

beauathia
5 years ago

Hi All:

Our floors have "yellowed" and so we're refinishing our floors soon to a Jacobean (Bona) on a white oak. We don't have a huge budget, so we're thinking of painting the cabinets. What top/bottom combination would you suggest? Unfortunately, we have to live with the countertop and aren't sure what color cabinets would look good. We will eventually replace the countertops, but it's not for another year or so.

1. We were thinking Espresso on the bottom and white cabinets on the top with updated pulls? Doing everything in a espresso may make the kitchen too dark?

2. Do we leave the backsplash or update it since it's not a large space/cost?

3. Thinking of painting the walls a very very light gray or a shade of white. Any suggestions on paint? I hear grey is on it's way out?

Here are a few close ups.

Comments (13)

• S MacD
    5 years ago

I wouldn't paint the cabinets two different colors, that's too busy and you already have too much going on. Also you say you are going to replace the countertops in a couple years so do you know what you're going to replace them with? I would let that be my guide as much as what will look good for the interim. For example, if you were going to go with med-dark countertops down the road then painting the cabinets an off-white will go well both with existing and future.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Don't paint the cabinets until you are ready to replace the countertops and backsplash. Even if you think you know what you want, they might or might not be available when you're ready, and then you'll be stuck.

Are you talking about a DIY paint job on the cabinets, or a pro job? A pro job will cost you more than new countertops.

• beauathia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thinking about replacing them with a white quartz that resembles a calacatta marble or with actual calacatta marble.

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

I would start with only redoing the floors and painting your walls a whitish light color...currently the wall paint almost matches your cabinets. Don't put $$ into a new back splash if you are installing new counters soon anyways. Chances are that you find something that you love, and it doesn't really work with what you have going on, and it will bug you...and when it's time to replace your counter tops, you will use your new back splash as the boss. It's backwards ;)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

You say you don't have a lot of money and you think painting cabinets is the cheapest upgrade? Professionally painted cabinets are almost the same cost as getting new ones. As for DIY its a long process and it won't last forever.

Refinish the floors, paint the walls, and upgrade the cabinet hardware for now. Then once you replace the countertop and backsplash and you're still not happy with the cabinet color you can begin thinking of that.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

DIY painting cabs is a tedious, lengthy process especially if you want the paint to stay on. :) Any past experience at all with painting cabs? It's min 4 coats of paint, sanding between each coat, a combo of roller and brush usually, and then poly if you're smart. And even then it's not going to be pro looking or stand up well even if you're an exp'd painter. I've painted 3 kitchens...and I despised every second of it but that was the only option on our budget. I would never, never ever do it as a quick, temp fix. It's an incredible amount of work.

I think your cabs are nice looking and everything flows nicely. Do the floors first....oh, Jacobean is quite dark, yes? You might research "dark wood floors" here because many people very much regret going dark. It shows EVERYTHING. I couldn't deal with it personally. Consider more of a nutmeg brown.

I'd do the minimum as others suggested above and wait it out....there's nothing bad looking here at all!

• richfield95
    5 years ago

Your cabinets look like nice wood in your pictures. A nice white counter and backsplash would really change the look of your kitchen (ignore the backsplash in this picture)

oh, and new hardware!

• virginia lynn
    5 years ago

The cabinets look very nice to me. Why not skip the cabinets and do the counter tops and back splash. Imo the counter tops do not go well with the back splash anyway especially with the counter top trim on the back.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

a)Your cabinets look very nice to me. don't change anything major until you get closer to your plans to change countertops. Frankly even then I'd change countertops and backsplash, and would leave these cabinets alone. Professional job will be very expensive, and they look good, really. If you're worried about what's in or out-stain comes back, so you'll be the fashionable one:) If you can't stand them-still better to wait until you know the rest of the elements, as already suggested upthread.

b) Don't paint walls gray, but not because it's on its way out (even though it kinda is)..decisions on paint, and colors in general, should be dictated by your house, existing elements, light a room gets, your style, preferences, etc. Your kitchen stays the same for now-it means most grays except for greiges so warm they're already taupes etc, don't have anything in common with it. Cabinets would work with gray, it's quite versatile wood stain you have..but your current granite and backsplash won't. I'd go with warm colors just lighter...creams, for example.

c) I know you've said you've decided on it already but I agree to go with slightly lighter stain on the floors. More forgiving.

(even though some people like me fuss about floors whatever color they are)

Disregard if you're set on it..do check though how they'll look with your cabinets, this stain flooring, that stain flooring, if you haven't yet. I understand that the decision to stain the floors drove the question of painting the cabinets, or?...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

can you post a pic showing the entire kitchen so we can see everything?

your cabs look to be in great shape. do you not like the wood color? Or, what is it that you don't like about them?

you have a busy granite, a very busy backsplash and now you want to bring in two tone cab color? you say you want to change the granite in another year. Why can't you wait?

If you are hiring someone to paint these (and you should. and it should also be a pro cab painter), then it's going to cost in the 4-6K range. yes, some can get it done cheaper, but it depends how long you what the paint job to last!

if doing it yourself, then it would only be a few hundred. if you've never painted cabinets and need a complete tutorial, let me know, I have a link to one of the best.

honestly, your granite and splash and the flooring (which you are changing) make everything look very gold. Switch out the counter/splash and you'll get the look you want, w/o painting the cabinets.

Go price out what your quartz or countertops would cost. if you want actual Calcatta marble, that's one of the priciest marbles on the market. Did you know they have pre-fab quartz countertops? this one is 9', finished edge, and cost $500 or so. If you have a small or simple counters, pre fab could be an affordable option. these come in granite, marble and quartzite.

what about Taj Majal quartzite? would match your cabs and flooring quite well

if you still have to paint the cabs, here are some colors

natural and white

navy and white

black/white

• anniebird
    5 years ago

How about just replace the granite and backsplash? The floors actually look nice with the cabinets. Might take a look at honed costa Esmeralda granite - it would look nice with the color of your cabinets. Off white walls and lights with classic lines can help you update to a clean and serene space:)

• S MacD
    5 years ago

@beauathia If you're going with white counters then you'll want darker cabinets and there's not going to be a ton of options that will go with the new counters and the old. It may be worth waiting until you can do the whole thing the way you want it