SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tosca_necoechea93

Managing environmental hazards during construction

Tosca Necoechea
5 years ago

The last time I visited my home, which is deep in the throes of the remodeling process, something came up for me. Because the house is old, there are almost certainly some issues. Here is a short list:

1. Flooring removed in the kitchen that one of the builders we interviewed had noted might have asbestos glue under it. That flooring was removed by our contractor, who never said anything about it. Thick paper has been taped down to cover the floor but when I saw the exposed floor I could see stripes of glue that had been scraped but not completely removed.

2. Likelihood of lead-based paint in walls that have been demo'ed. The site is quite dusty.

3. Asbestos-wrapped pipes - These were securely removed by a certified independent contractor.

4. Likelihood of lead-based paint in siding that will be removed in future and window frames with trim that are being or will be removed.

I have not seen signs of protective measures, such as hermetic sealing off of the building site. I don't know if the contractor wet the glue while removing the flooring. My concerns are mainly exposure for workers and site (dirt) contamination. Our neighbors on both east and west sides grow food in their yards, as do we.

We most definitely should have had a plan for this, but my question is, what steps make sense now? What can we do from the time work begins again on Monday to make sure that we are controlling and limiting potential damage? What sort of testing makes sense going forward?

Comments (8)