SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Grafted Prunus pendula scion 'eating up' the rootstock bark?

So before I ask I hope you guys know that a natural ungrafted prunus pendula has a completely different bark than other cherries. For some unknown reason that I have no clue on why this is the case, all other cherries such as kwanzans, prunus sargentiis, Yoshinos, prunus avium have the same or very similar bark. They all have those small lines all over the tree otherwise it is very smooth, while the bark of prunus pendula is very rough.

So my question is, is it possible that a scion part of the weeping cherry eventually eat up the bark of the rootstock(I think prunus avium)? I think I am seeing some weeping cherries like that around my area. Even if the bark resembles that of the original ungrafted weeping cherry, I think it was originally a graft because the structure and shape of those cherries look like the ones grafted. The natural ungrafted ones have squiggly branches and immediately start branching horizontally(Pic 1) and the grafted ones have straight branches which start upright but then eventually weeps(Pic 2) Compare pic 1 and 2. First one is definitely the natural form. Pic 2 looks very different. And yet they are both ungrafted. Or second pic may have been grafted but was 'eaten' up by the scionwood cherry bark. So, is that possible? I am seeing lots of cherries like that in the second pic around here. Sorry for long post, I'm just curious.

Comments (9)