SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Your personal experience with older Cats, kidney disease

woodnative
5 years ago

I guess kidneys are the "Achilles' heel" of cats.......it seems like they are the thing to go in our domestic companions. They probably lasted more than long enough for their wild/feral ancestors but often are the first part to go in our domestic friends. At least as I understand it.

Our cat turns 17 this month. Neutered male inside cat. He still LOOKS great....shiny coat well-groomed. He is still playful.....maybe not as much as when younger but still gets the bursts of energy and is happy to play. He has been healthy his whole life. He is kept at a very good weight (He is VERY food motivated, He would overeat if we let him). However we noticed about a year ago he was drinking more, and now it is very noticable.

His last vet trip was at the end of last year. Overall very good checkup, good bloodwork but obvious early stage kidney issues. They thought he looked (and fought the vet!) like a much younger cat. His blood pressure was also good. They didn't feel he needed any meds at this point, just a follow up in 6 months (soon) and make sure he always has access to fresh water (which he would have anyway). He still looks great!

I am curious on people's experience? Did your cat live a long time (and good quality of life) after a similar diagnosis? Hoping we get at least a year or two more from him.......he is a loved family pet!

Comments (18)