SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maureen_kelleyhefelfinger

New cabinet paint chipping and cracking!

Hi,

About 10 months ago, I had my master bath completely remodeled. We used a reputable designer, contractor and highly-regarded subs. This was all done to last; I chose and paid for nice things and experienced professionals.

It's been great, except that my painted cabinetry has been cracking and chipping since week one. It is clearly doing this where it gets dripped on (I have four kids who do splash in the bath and sometimes drip water when they wash their hands or brush their teeth.) I work really hard to wipe down any moisture that touches the cabinetry, but sometimes I miss a spot or something.

I had the cabinet maker do some touchups a few months ago, and he basically told me that he can no longer obtain good quality paints in California due to strict environmental laws, and that the cabinets simply cannot ever get wet for more than a minute or two. I do not remember EVER having this problem with previous cabinetry. It's a bathroom. There are two sinks, a shower and a bath tub. I have four little kids. There is GOING to be some water.

The cabinet guy suggested I wipe down the cabinets with a tiny amount of car wax to create a better barrier, which I did. I am trying so hard, but I am still finding damage. I am super disappointed because these were expensive and I expected them to hold up to typical use.

Is this just "how it is" now, or do I have any recourse here? Had I know the paint was so delicate, I would have chosen a stained wood instead. I can't imagine trying to manage this for the next 20 years. Thank you in advance.

(this is what the cabinets look like in general.)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals