SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yoyobon_gw

OT....words of wisdom

yoyobon_gw
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I recently picked up a copy of the magazine Psychology Today and found this editorial to be interesting:

" The list of things I wish I'd known at 20 is probably longer than the list of people I'd ever met at 20 .

1. Spend 10 x more time with your grandparents and 10x less time trying to look good or to acquire a cache of amazing adventures. ( Twenty year olds look good by virtue of being 20 ; life happens by virtue of living, no pay-to-play needed.)

2. Never take full credit unless you're willing to take full blame for an opposite outcome.

3. Not everything that happens TO you is about you.

4. The books you love at 20 can be reread every decade thereafter - they'll feel like different books. "

-Kaja Perina , editor

Numbers 1 and 3 are especially meaningful to me . As Dad used to say " We get too soon old and too late smart."

Comments (17)

• vee_new
    5 years ago

I think number one is important. Not easy in my case as my maternal grandparents lived in the US. Had it been possible I would have asked them an endless list of questions about their early lives, and about their own parents and grandparents. They probably would have run a mile every time I visited carrying my notebook and pencil . . .

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Advice I would give my 20 year old self :

Cancel your subscription to Seventeen magazine ( and all that 1960's marriage propaganda) and have faith in yourself .

Start your career and take time to discover the world .

• Rosefolly
    5 years ago

All of these things so far are good, especially the one about Seventeen magazine, which holds true in later years for the similar magazines intended for women in each succeeding decade.

I wish I had admired my parents more. They were wonderful people, but at 20 I was easily embarrassed and their quirks made me roll my eyes. They did know I loved them deeply, but I wish they knew how much I admired them.

• msmeow
    5 years ago

Rose, my younger sister has been in a wheelchair most of her life. As an adult I told my parents more than once that they did a great job of treating us equally, even though she often needed more attention than I did. I am really glad that I told them that!

Donna

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Agree to both.....A few years before my maiden aunt, last surviving sister of my Mom ( who died at 42), passed away I thought to tell her how much I appreciated her loving kindnesses toward me all those years after Mom was gone and how much she honored his sister's memory by doing that. I am so glad she knew that I valued and loved her.

Never leave anything kind and uplifting unsaid.

• carolyn_ky
    5 years ago

That is such good advice, Yoyo.

• kathy_t
    5 years ago

Amen to that!

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Something else I've learned at this point in my life :

" Unsolicited advice is never as warmly received as we imagined it would be. "

• vee_new
    5 years ago

So true! I well remember my 'children' as YA's rolling their eyes and sighing with great exaggeration when I passed on my words of wisdom.

• kathy_t
    5 years ago

Yoyobon - To quote another wise woman (Vee), I also say "So true! So very true!"

• Rosefolly
    5 years ago

But if we don't tell our children lessons we have learned, and then they stumble and fall, we will feel responsible.

We should not count on them actually learning from our example, though!

I am seeing myself click Like, Like, Like. These are all good! We must be very smart. Or old. ;-)

• carolyn_ky
    5 years ago

Or both, Rose.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think that we can learn things every day......if we're paying attention ! The unfortunate part, as we've noted, is that all our life experience and knowledge seems to be of very limited interest to anyone not in our decade ! Their loss.

• vee_new
    5 years ago

The following little rhyme used to be recited to us by my father when we had been cheeky or had 'showed off' (though never to him as he was way too scary . . . )

"A wise old owl sat on an oak

The more he saw the less he spoke

The less he spoke the more he heard.

Why can't we be like that wise old bird?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And I should still listen more and talk less!

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

One of my favorites:

There's so much good in the worst of us,

And so much bad in the best of us,

That it doesn't behoove any of us

To talk about the rest of us !

• carolyn_ky
    5 years ago

Words from the Bible and the basic precept by which we were raised, by example rather than words: Be ye kind one to another.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz