SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cgcl

Door & trim species with pine windows & oak floor, oak cabinets

cgcl
5 years ago

Seeking advice on wood species to use for Interior doors & trim in living areas of new build.

Style: Prairie Modern

Items already finalized:

- Interior side of windows & sliding doors is pine. Jambs & heads will have drywall returns.

- Floors and stair treads & risers will be white oak.

- Cabinets will be horizontal grain oak (rift sawn?) but cabinet finish can still change.

- Exterior doors are painted fiberglass so no species to consider.

- Bedroom areas will have painted doors and trim.

Would like real wood for doors, door trim and base in living, kitchen & dining areas, and possibly also window sills, but need to determine species. So far I'm considering:

- Pine because door & jamb can both be pine, and pine trim is available. I'm concerned about the graininess of pine, but the windows are already pine, and wondering if there is a way to stain it appropriately to minimize grain and maximize that real wood depth.

- Fir because it is the next lowest cost from pine, and the fir grain is nice and tight. But the fir base would butt to the pine sliding doors and I don't know how that would look. Also, fir is still about 3x more than pine if I want the door, jamb and trim to be fir - translates into over $2k upcharge over pine.

Not sure if the window sills should be pine to match the windows, fir if I go with fir for the doors, trim & base, or painted the wall color but in gloss or semi gloss...

Comments (2)