SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

HOUZZ is so screwed up . . .

jerijen
5 years ago

Everytime I go to the site, I get multiple error messages. I am rapidly coming to hate them.

It appears that they cannot be contacted by email -- they provide ONLY a telephone number. Anyone like to call them and rag on them? (I detest using phones.)

"We strive to respond to all inquiries within 1 business day. To reach us by telephone, please call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Fri, 5am-7pm PT). "

IDIOTS!

Comments (115)

• shebabee
    5 years ago

HOUZZ: Again, where is the list of GardenWeb forum topics hiding now? When I click on "Stories & Advice," I see the heading for "GARDENWEB DISCUSSIONS" -- but there is nothing (nothing!) listed.

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Shebabee, is there an arrow that points to the right when you select Gardenweb Discussions? I have to move from GW Discussion over to another menu to the side. That one lists the forums, including Antique Roses. Does this help?

EMILY, Paul does have a point. Maybe next time Beta should be tested on Houzz guinea pigs instead of users? If you could pass along the request.... I'm going to check on the "millions of opening tabs" issue to see if that is rectified. That one is really bogging me down. Thanks for your help! Carol

• Related Discussions

So, how bad did I screw this up?

Q

Comments (2)
    What I would do: Seal the grout (if you haven't already) with a sealer that says it's for outdoor use. Seal the inside of the clay pot. Then find a plastic pot that fits inside your mosaic pot and place your plant inside that liner pot. Then leave outside and see what happens! What has happened to my mosaic pots is that over time, the plant water leaches out through the grout and discolors it.
    ...See More

Did Somebody Screw Up?

Q

Comments (4)
    You will get used to it. We all hated it at first. Garden Web has always been all about the money. We have been inundated with advertizing all along, and nobody likes change. I'm not sure, but I think they found it to their advantage to sell out to Houzz! Houzz is very photo friendly, and it's a lot easier to post photos under their system, but we still get to post and comment as before. I was a previous member of Houzz (Got many ideas from the house designers who post there), so I got to keep my name. All the same great information is now hosted by Houzz. Good luck Fred AKA Mr. Pontiac :-))
    ...See More

Need to fill screw holes in window frame so I can "re-screw"

Q

Comments (10)
    You can buy dowel pins (short lengths of dowel) that are intended for concealed, glued joints...but they aren't the best choice for this repair as they are typically fluted on the sides and slightly rounded on the ends. This is an easy repair. Buy a 1/4" dowel, cut off a 1" to 1-1/2" piece, drill a 1/4" hole where the repair is and a little deeper than the dowel length. Then lightly coat the dowel surface with standard wood glue, insert it in the hole, and drive it all the way in with light taps from a hammer. Wipe away glue that has squeezed out, and let the repair sit for 1/2 hour. If a little bit of the dowel sits proud of the surface, you can sand it away or trim it with a single edge razor blade. However, if the end of the dowel was square to begin with, and you tapped it in carefully, this won't be necessary.
    ...See More

Thanksgiving Whoopsies- Fess Up To Your Screw Up!

Q

Comments (34)
    Just as our kids were arriving yesterday, my husband was taking the turkey out of the oven. The roaster pan was so full of drippings (I assume from the massive injection of creole butter) that it could not be removed from the oven without a huge mess. Personally, I would have used a baster to remove some of the 'juice' so it could be moved neatly but he streamed it all over the newly cleaned oven, across the floor and drenched the cabinet beneath the sink. What a mess to clean up with toddlers underfoot trying to greet grammy and pop pop!
    ...See More
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Carol/Portland, on my tablet the multiple tabs issue is gone. But now I have to double-tap on my back arrow to go back. Oh, well, par for the course I guess.

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Multiple tabs issue is resolved for me, too. Paul must have used his megaphone! Thank you for your help, Emily. Carol

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

I just shoot email hoping Emily H will get it. I hope so. I still can't do any new posts. This bites and it's been weeks.

Jin

• bpath
    5 years ago

I haven't been able to start a new thread either, we are now on Day 10. I've listed it a couple of times in the other thread. Let us know if you get a response, Plumeria Girl.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Shebabee -

On my computer, that header of 'Gardenweb Discussions' with nothing under it is a link to a screen that lists all threads with new posts since I last viewed for all the topics I follow.

To access the alphabetical list of forums I use the green 'Explore Topics' link that is in the left under the list of topics I am following

Mary

5 years ago

Emily H, can you see my new thread I just posted " Let's try and hope it works ". But I can't write anything in description box just one word the second appears by itself and any words I so erases under my first pic . Can you pls fix that part for me. I am so happy I can post but feel so incomplete if you know what I meant. Oh Molly !! It took me weeks to post almost a month. I felt so disable.

Emily H are you there ? I send you an email. Hope you get it also if not this works also. Can you pls fix my issues.

Thanks

Jin

• bpath
    5 years ago

Plumeria, the letters disappearing happens to me, too, on my Android phone. But not on my Apple iPad.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling incomplete or dis-abled.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I will try a photo.

Boscobel

5 years ago

Emily, can you pls fix Jerijen's issue. Plsss. Can't afford to lose her and she has been here for a long, long time.

Jin

5 years ago

Shiela, you are killing me...lol

I feel like buying her instantly. She is beautiful and I think I can really sink my face in those soft petals...lol

Jin

5 years ago

One worked. I'll try four.

Andenken an Alma de l'Aigle
    The Squire
    Bishop's Castle
    Baby Maman Cochet

• User
    5 years ago

I love this 'Bishop's Castle' rose, clearly one I've missed out on. Pleased they all loaded for you Sheila... such beautiful roses deserve an easy pass...

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

I CAN NO LONGER POST ANYTHING, even one word, even though I am on a brand new MacBook with brand new software. Tried twice to post the following. Carol

Dear Houzz Support:

I am trying to contact you directly. I need make sure that the disastrous results of your "upgrades" are clearly understood so that if Houzz would like to maintain its Gardenweb user following, it will act immediately to see that changes and fixes happen as close to yesterday as possible, but I can't find a direct connection to Houzz support. I have had a couple of exchanges with Emily, but I would like a consistent connection to Houzz support. Could you let us know EXACTLY where we can ALL REGISTER OUR COMPLAINTS about the serious faults in the new program? A common Gardenweb link to Houzz would be ideal.

I want to give you a heads up that if you do not wish to lose a large percentage of your client base, the programming team at Houzz needs to rectify this untenable situation ASAP, and support staff needs to communicate directly with GardenWeb users. We need an ongoing conversation with Houzz support so we that we have updates and substantial assurances. We have lost any faith in Houzz's integrity, and users on the Antique Roses Forum and other forums are bailing in droves. Given the labyrinthene maneuvers that must be accomplished to reach Houzz support (each maneuver seems to be dependent on age and type of technology), many GardenWeb members are just surrendering without notifying Houzz of issues. Others of us have tried to no avail indicate the extent and gravity of the software issues.

The severity of the broken software resembles malware and member dissatisfaction has reached critical mass. I've seldom encountered such a poorly functioning site run by such a large company. This version of Gardenweb is so problematic that apparently members can accidentally delete each other's posts. Private user information has been openly displayed. This is egregious! Most of us have continuing, ongoing, and debilitating issues with starting posts, attaching photos and commenting. I wish to communicate in no uncertain terms that we need ongoing, straightforward, open, communication with Houzz support NOW before more members actively depart or just fade away. For the record, the exiting members I refer to come from all disciplines and walks of life. We are scientific researchers, software engineers, college professors, teachers, artists, writers, photographers, rose breeders, presidents of garden associations, nursery and landscape company owners, interior designers, health care professionals, contractors, real estate agents, etc.

Thank you for your immediate assistance and prompt communication.

Carol

(portlandmysteryrose/Antique Roses Forum)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

If that doesn't help, Carol, I don't know what will. That's a splendid communication. I hope it's not a case of everyone except the janitors having left the building. We really appreciate your doing this; I'm sure it wasn't fun.

Sheila, your roses are wonderful. Bishop's Castle is one of my favorite roses. Your baby Maman Cochet will probably be occupying considerable real estate by next year. Roses simply love you and your garden!

5 years ago

Carol, I understand your frustration Bec I went through for almost 3 weeks. Worst feeling ever. I don't blame you. Today , I just got lucky but next week I might be off from posting again. This is insane .

Jin

• bpath
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I like YOUR post. That's what it's all about, community. I'm not in the Roses forums, but we see they same in other forums. Hmm, maybe I SHOULD hang out there...we "inherited" a rose with this house, I should learn to tend it properly. Let me go figure out my zone and add it to my username.

I want to be able to POST!

5 years ago

Ingrid, you inspired me getting Bishop's Castle. I love it.

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid! I have attached that letter onto several threads. I tried creating my own post on three forums, including "Using Houzz," but although I can see the post in My Houzz, it's nowhere to be found on the forums. I also plugged the letter directly into the Houzz customer support messaging system a la Jackie's method of communication. We shall see what unfolds..or doesn't.

Bpathome, welcome to the mess in this neck of the Houzz woods! And many congrats on your new home. Please do join our little garden community. You have two rose forums to choose from and can now post on both at the same time: Roses and Antique Roses.

I imagine all the close-knit forum communities are experiencing similar discombobulation. Homeowners with ongoing repair and renovation projects are no doubt ready to scream. DIYers who are right smack in the middle of seeking forum advice for their concrete countertop challenges must be pulling out their hair as materials set and crack while they struggle to post photos. And those with distressing troubles like termite invasions and powder post beetles have probably already run into the sunset. Carol

• bpath
    5 years ago

Portland, thanks for the welcome! Actually, we've been in this house 14 years already lol. My mother started a rose garden in the late 50s, with several roses that she coned in winter, surrounded by cocoa shells, with flagstone paths winding to a council ring. I suppose being able to post on both roses and antique roses is one benefit of cross posting. The house is early 60s, the garden later, but the rose seems to be a one-off. Well, look for me there with a picture . . . IF I CAN EVER START A THREAD!

5 years ago

I am so sorry. I was literally screaming at my place. So mad, aggravated, frustrated and all above. I had issues with my roses. Lisa wrote a thread on behalf of me. She had problems too but I could not do a thread at all.

It has been like almost 3 weeks of pissed mood. This is a place I want to go....my happy place. I relax here.

Now, I am afraid what little I can do will be taken away.

I don't want to lose anyone here. I feel so welcome here . Jeri kinda guide me to my achieve my roses and if it is not for Jeri . I would not have grown any roses. Then I get tons of support from Shiela, Ingrid, Marlorena, Carol, Lisa , Aqua eyes help me more than anything. Writing to me long and easy to understand emails on how to amend my soil. Guess what I did that and so far my roses are very healthy. My soil is no longer Chris used a word but I am going to say waterproof soil.

So as you can see I can't turn my back on my friends. This is where it all started .

And Houzz don't give a damn. I know.

Jin

5 years ago

Well, I tried to do a test posting with pictures. First of all the picture fades when you load it, and the color comes back after a considerable time to let you know the picture has been posted. I suppose I can live with that although if you're posting 8-10 pictures it can be tedious. The only way I could navigate onto the next picture was the side bar. If I hit RETURN a blank page appears. That's the end of that, you're done. So I used the side bar which is slower and more tedious but again something I can get used to. However, after I had posted two pictures I came to the end of the page. I suppose I should have used the side bar first to create a larger blank space, because when I tried to load the third picture the side bar was useless. I'll try and tweak things to see if I can get pictures to post, but we shouldn't have to turn ourselves into pretzels to do something that is so darn simple. Carol is right, we are being used as the testers of their new program. Any reputable firm would take care of that in-house before foisting their "new look" on their unsuspecting users. I'm afraid we'll be scattered to the four winds before this is over and that really worries me. What used to be a refuge from the outside world has now become just another hostile entity to deal with.

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

I hear you, Ingrid! No more relaxed e-tours through friend's gardens or impromptu photo shares. I'm spending all my "down time" submitting failed posts and writing messages in the bottle to Houzz support. If we weren't all on this island together, I wouldn't be on this island at all! Carol

5 years ago

Carol, I wish I had a crystal ball that would let us know whether the situation will resolve itself here or we're just tilting at windmills. I did just manage to send off a post with five pictures, but to call it easy or fun would be a blatant lie. Thank you so much for undertaking the thankless job of communicating with Houzz. You're my hero! I don't know how receptive they are but at least you've made a valiant effort, and we can't ask for more than that.

• bpath
    5 years ago

Day 11 of not being able to start a new thread on the mobile site, not the app, my Android phone. After typing the first word in the text box, subsequent Words are converted to a space when I tap the spacebar.

Tapping Next does nothing. Today, tapping Close prompted me to post a picture and I had to close the tab to get out.

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Bpathome, try contacting help.houzz.com directly. Yes, the rather awkward sentence below is self referential. When it says to click on "Submit a Request," it means to click on those words in that same sentence. :-) I've also attached the phone number below.

Hope this helps!

Carol

How can I contact Customer Support?

May 16, 2018•Houzz Support

You can contact Customer Support anytime by clicking on "Submit a Request".

We strive to respond to all inquiries within 1 business day. To reach us by telephone, please call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Fri, 5am-7pm PT).

5 years ago

I've submitted my problem with being unable to delete a photo in a post if I've accidentally put it in a wrong place or don't want to use it for whatever reason. Waiting with bated breath for answer.........oh wait, that might not be a good idea.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

I'm so glad to see so many of us still have our sense of humor!

MaryC

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

It is what it is. :-)

The following link is fresh from Emily.

Emily H(9)

Hi all, this link gets you to exactly where you need to be to submit a ticket. https://help.houzz.com/s/profile-support?language=en_US

If it is not working on iPad, definitely try on a desktop or laptop.

If you are on a much older browser or set up, it's possible that it isn't loading properly for you. I hope you will have another way to access! So sorry for the frustration in submitting a ticket.

• Cynthia Martinelli
    3 years ago

no one ever answers HOUZZ. order wrong. redelivered. wrong again! terrible company, terrible vendors. online for 2 hrs, still waiting! company says they are no longer open on weds, Thurs, Fridays. cant reach on mon and tue! what is up? bogus. want my money back.

• roseseek
    3 years ago

THAT should teach everyone...DO NOT SPEND MONEY WITH HOUZZ! PERIOD. Life went on quite nicely before they arrived to suck up Garden Web to make it their advertising arm. It will resume beautifully without them. STOP GIVING THEM MONEY.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You BOUGHT something from them? OMG. Considering how messed up their management of these lists is, I'd EXPECT problems!

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Yeah I am beginning to hate this site used to be great! Now we have 20 million posts on granny topics

• jacqueline9CA
    3 years ago

If you scroll down to the bottom of any thread, you will find lists of topics. Under "Get Help", If you click on "Contact", you will get to the Support Department, with a form you can fill out to communicate with them. It works great - I have gotten responses in 1-2 days several times. (This is the same as "submitting a ticket" cited by Emily above, but just another way to get there.)

Jackie

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Now I have notifications number listed and nothing telling me where. Used to be little green dots

3 years ago

What the heck are they doing?

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Nuts

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Or nutszzzz

• User
    3 years ago

The golden age of gardenweb is over and done. This is about as good as its ever going to be, now that its primarily an advertising engine. Set your expectations accordingly. This is why I rarely participate anymore Why bother?

• jerijen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree, Paul, but I drop in every few days to see what's what. I hope you will, too, because you are needed. Moreso, in such sad times.

3 years ago

Thank you for helping educate people, Paul and Jeri. I really appreciate all you do here, even if the forum is not all it could be. I will forever treasure Ellen Tofflemire, Marianne, Paul's T-Superb West, Rook, Song of the Stars, Dakota Redwing, Won Fang Yon, and the real Umbra if I ever can get one. Also Oshun and October Moon down the road.

Jeri, I love my Grandmother's Hat, Florence Bower's Pink Tea and other wonders you have highlighted like Eugene Beauharnais. I would not have known about them without you.

jerijen thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • jerijen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

YES! Sheila -- This is a day to be thankful for things we've learned and things we've shared.

And let us look forward to a better, brighter day.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    3 years ago

Today, let's be thankful for what's RIGHT about this site: our friendship, camaraderie, the sharing of knowledge and joy of roses. Those things rise above Houzz...thankfully.

jerijen thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • jerijen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm up for that!

• Divina Ober
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yep, I totally agree with you as to how screwd up Houzz is. As we go to their website to order an outside table, 3 times we made an order and we're told about thd ETA of our order, but as it get closer to the delivery date, that's when they'll email us telling us that the table is Out of Stock???? How crazy is that? And not just once but 3 times? Seems like Houzz have a lousy communication with their sellers. The right hand have no idea what the left hand is doing. So, I took the pleasure to Uninstall Houzz totally. Goobye Houzz.

We don't have to deal with you anymore.

• Alana8aSC
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sheila I am letting Umbra and the other one, whos name escapes me atm , grow up more before sending, I think I sent a reply email, but if my brain farted I am sorry. I can send when bigger or we can wait until fall, entirely up to you. John, email me, yours is getting big!

Also I so enjoy all my friends here, I hope we always check in. I talked to Virginia the other week, and it was to nice to read her voice. I told her she is missed on here.

last year

Alana, I would defer to your schedule. I would not ship in July or August or extreme heat. You are such a sweetheart.

• GardeningTeenager
    last year

Please don't leave Houzz because it is tough to work. We need you @jerijen. Your advice is priceless and these forums won't be the same!