Renowned Economist Rips Trump As A Gibbering, ‘Delusional’ Threat

momj47(7A)

Renowned Economist Jeffrey Sachs Rips Trump As A Gibbering, ‘Delusional’ Threat

American economist Jeffrey Sachs has written a scathing takedown of President Donald Trump, calling him a delusional, psychopathic “threat to the nation and the world.”

He might be a “Manchurian Candidate” who is working as a “stooge” for some foreign power to destroy the U.S., Sachs wrote on CNN’s website Friday, referring to the spy movie thriller.

“Much more likely, Trump is just mentally unstable and narcissistic,” he added, calling the new announcement of tariffs on exports from Canada, Mexico and the European Union part of a “psychopath’s trade war.”

Sachs, a renowned Columbia University professor who heads its Center for Sustainable Development and serves as a senior adviser at the United Nations, said no one expressed “a single word of respect for Trump” during his recent trip to Europe. Their question was: “How did America fall so far so fast?” Sachs wrote.

Trump’s “so-called policies are not really policies,” he added. “Trade wars are on, off, on hold, on again, within the span of days. ... Foreign companies are sanctioned today and rescued the next. ... Global agreements and rules are ripped to shreds. Trump’s garbled syntax and disorganized thoughts are impossible to follow.”

Sachs has bashed Trump’s economic actions several times. Earlier this year, he said the president’s tariffs prove he “flunked economics” and makes “primitive errors because he hasn’t a clue as to how the world economy works.”

Regarding the steel tariffs, Sachs wrote for CNN, “whatever US steel producers might gain from a trade war would be offset by the losses to steel users and consumers, plus the social costs of protecting uncompetitive jobs.”

One of Sachs’ biggest targets has been the massive tax cuts and budget deficit, which he has labeled part of the “war” of America’s rich on the poor. “We cannot afford tax cuts. The idea that somehow has gotten into our heads ... that ‘oh, $1.5 trillion, that we can give away,’ is unbelievable in any serious country,” he told Bloomberg last year. He called the redistribution of wealth in the nation a “populism by the super rich” who “want more and more and more.”

But Sachs’ latest attack in CNN was far more personal about the president. The U.S. has “probably never before had a delusional president, one who speaks gibberish, insults those around him including his closest associates, and baffles the world. We strive to make sense of Trump’s nonsense, implicitly assuming some hidden strategy. There is none,” Sachs declared.

He warned: “Harming our closest allies, raising the prices on key intermediate products, and provoking retaliation cannot possibly deliver higher wages, better jobs, or an improved trade balance.”

The “real answer” is to remove Trump from office using the 25th Amendment to replace him, Sachs concludes.

“Trump is unwell and unfit to be president. He is a growing threat to the nation and the world.

“The emperor had no clothes. This president has no sense,” he concluded.

SaveComment72Like9
Comments (72)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lily316

I read this a few hours ago and could not agree more with Sachs. tRump is mentally unstable, unfit, and extremely stupid.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by momj47
momj47(7A)

And most of the people in the world agree with Sachs

And you

6 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

This is what the Trumpers voted for. To "shake things up".

3 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

When you shake up a swamp, it's still a swamp

12 Likes Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Trump as President is like Chance the gardener with a mean streak. Only we're not attaching significance to simplistic utterances that isn't there, it's the other way around - he thinks he is saying something clever and momentous but much of the time it's actually dumb, even incoherent.

9 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

He has probably always used this whiplash technique to keep everyone off balance. It works for him because basically he does not know much about anything, so he just bumbles around until he settles on something. He revels in the disturbance.

7 Likes Save    
norar_il

Mom, maybe when you shake up a swamp, the bottom feeders who ordinarily stay in the deep, dark places come to the top. Or so it seems to me lately.

11 Likes Save     Thanked by momj47
leona_2008

It was obvious trump was unfit before the election. he is a traitor but the Republican Congressmen who refuse to do their job and get rid of him, who don't even try to hold him in check, they are even worse traitors.

10 Likes Save    
leona_2008

socks, if it weren't for all those NDAs, I imagine there would be scores of ex-employees saying this is how he has always operated and telling all manner of sordid tales to boot.

Save    

He has probably always used this whiplash technique to keep everyone off balance

Yes: as a narcissist Trump makes himself the eye of a storm so that he is always a focal point, a center of attention. It's a sort of worse version of people who always show up disruptively late for gatherings so that everyone will look at them when they do finally get there.

I imagine there would be scores of ex-employees saying this is how he has always operated

Key people in his organizations quit because they never know what is going on, where they themselves stand.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

In 2008 he was praising Hillary and Bill and now he is a jibbering traitor. What happened between 2008 and 2011? Obama was elected and Trump did a 180.

5 Likes Save    
jillinnj

We strive to make sense of Trump’s nonsense, implicitly assuming some hidden strategy. There is none

This! People often say he has a plan - his tweeting is to distract from something else, he has a long term strategy, etc. Nope. He's a idiot. He cannot think more than 15 ahead. He has the mental capacity of a 10 year old. He doesn't remember what he said 5 minutes ago (read the letter, it was great, didn't open the letter yet; introduces Congressman to audience, 1 minute later forgets he did...)

It's just nonsense. It's what pops into his head at the moment. If someone responds positively, he repeats it.

He's as dumb as a rock. He doesn't understand the economy. He doesn't understand trade. He cannot even understand NATO and still thinks countries pay into some fund or something. He's just really really stupid.

12 Likes Save    

What happened between 2008 and 2011?

Probably it's a la Art of the Deal and telling prospects whatever it appears they want to hear in order to make the sale. In this case playing to what was not a majority perspective actually got him elected.

If someone responds positively, he repeats it

Yes, he didn't have to be a fox in order to pick up on Fox talking points.

Save    
war garden

thump fit all qualifications for being president. the founders were very slim on the details need to be president.

As for Trump he was elected to poke a stick in the establishments eyes and blow up the status quo. the more the liberals, democrats and progressives whine about Trump the more his voters cheer because they voted for him to blow up the status quo and bash the media in head with baseball bat. That is what he is doing.

Save    

That is what he is doing

What about the tax bill? Are you happy with that? If so, why on Earth are you?

Same as with previous Republican administrations it's not the Establishment that's taking a hit. Nope, quite the opposite - the one percentile is making out like bandits, as if they weren't already - thank you very much.

Thank you very much the Trump voters.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I am with Jill. I don't think he plans anything. I have heard media pundits talking as if his latest shenanigan is for some purpose or other but they are mostly like dogs after a squirrel and should know better. He enjoys the excitement so far as I can see and that is about it. He has a short attention span. His base think very much as he does and are easily distracted as well so they all get on together. It is no way to run a country.

4 Likes Save    

His base think very much as he does and are easily distracted as well

They're still moaning about

the liberals, democrats and progressives

while Trump just pounded another nail in the coffin of the American middle class.

5 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

"In 2008 he was praising Hillary and Bill and now he is a jibbering traitor. What happened between 2008 and 2011? Obama was elected and Trump did a 180."

Yes. Also, I honestly believe that the WH Correspondents' Dinner during which he was humiliated for all the birther lies was the turning point that sealed our fate.

10 Likes Save    
lily316

He acts as president exactly like he did when he was a reality TV star. In the Apprentice, he liked to humiliate the contestants. I remember being nauseated when they announced him and he appeared backlit like the Messiah and all the contestants were told to bow and be jubilant. He'd make a great dictator.

1 Like Save    
purrmich _6

Some of his base are now admitting his tweets are nonsense while not understanding that they're admitting trump's psyche is nonsense.

2 Likes Save    
margievank

Some of his base are now admitting his tweets are nonsense

Like who puremichigan?

Like me saying, some Democrats are now agreeing his tweets are genius;)

Save    
momj47(7A)

his tweets are genius;

Oh my

You do understand, Margo, that neither Mr. Trump, nor his tweets are in any way associated with the idea of genius.

Here's some pictures of men and women considered to be geniuses

4 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

And here's some pictures of men who are never mistaken for geniuses

Though these four have a lot in common with each other

4 Likes Save    

Here's what I see in those four poses:

1. Full of it*

2. Unhappy

3. Buffoonish

4. Cunning

*Like he's saying "Have I got a deal for you!"

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Getting back to the renowned economist ripping Trump to pieces (see OP), I wish there were some way to run it on a continuous feed in a prominent place that many people would see it.

Maybe run it continuously in Times Square every week-end. I'm sure the west coast and other places have places of maximum exposure also.

Watching the words of that economist repeat themselves over and over again--how satisfying! I can just see the crowds piling up to get a better view!

Kate

8 Likes Save    
Kathy

This is terrifying to me.

How did America fall so far so fast?” Sachs wrote.

3 Likes Save    
Lily316

Because there are so many stupid gullible people in this country as the world is finding out.

5 Likes Save    
purrmich _6

Selfish, self-centered people.

1 Like Save    
azmom

Sachs is such an impressive intellectual, we have been following him since our junior graduated from the school. In fact the past and current faculty of the school were/are all incredibly brilliant, no wonder they educated students like Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffett.

Unfortunately, Deplorables are too foolish, ignorant and gullible to know what damages their fake president have been causing to this country.

Just wait a few minutes for their bashing of "elitists", and intellectuals".

5 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Thank you Mr. Sachs for putting how I feel into a clear concise non rambling few paragraphs. That is exactly how I feel. And yes, Trump is dangerous and should be removed from office. There is no question about that statement for me. None whatsoever.

Thank you momj for posting this!!!

Dublinbay, yes, this needs to be played, published so everyone will not not see it.

How do we start the process? Call congressmen offices and start putting pressure on them? I really want to know.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

We strive to make sense of Trump’s nonsense, implicitly assuming some hidden strategy. There is none...

No, no. Do not be fooled. Yes trump is an idiot. He has no grand scheme or master plan. His only goal is more money/power/adulation. But he is a *useful* idiot. There is a master plan and his strings are being pulled bigly and have been since before the election. This steady march toward:

• the destruction of all norms
  • pushing the envelope on the imperial presidency
  • getting the American people inured to ever increasing outrages
  • telling such big and constant lies so people don't know what's true
  • attacking the press, the fbi and intelligence agencies to weaken any counterbalances to presidential power
  • growing levels of divisiveness and fostering hatred of others be they democrats, muslims, blacks, hispanics or immigrants
  • "look at the birdie" distractions to hide the encroachments of power throughout the administration
  • driving away our democratic allies with bad diplomacy and trade wars while lauding dictatorial regimes
  • flouting the rule of law

is precisely how governments like ours are destroyed. It's happening too deliberately for it to be happenstance. Someone is pulling trump's strings and are delighted it's happening. My bet is it's the guy who managed to get trump elected. A useful idiot indeed.

7 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

Because there are so many stupid gullible people in this country as the world is finding out.

And the world will never take the US seriously again

And, I suspect, constitutional democracy. Now that they have seen how easy it is for a dangerous idiot to get elected and totally corrupt the government.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

From a Bernie Bro!

“Bernie Sanders absolutely would have beaten Donald Trump,” says economist Jeffrey Sachs. When asked if the Democratic Party handed the country to Donald Trump, Sachs responds, “I think the Democratic Party handed itself to Wall Street far too much in the last generation. We need a Democratic Party that is speaking the truth like Bernie.” He also says he supports Rep. Keith Ellison to be the new head of the Democratic National Convention.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Annie, do you think perhaps Putin and some other autocrats are useful idiots too?

Save    
momj47(7A)

Why are still so obsessed by the election, kjun?

It's over and done. Your candidate lost

The future is where the danger lies, not the past

Puzzlingly, you then switched your allegiance to a gibbering, delusional idiot.

But that's a problem for another day

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

No, Kathy, putin is no idiot. He is a master manipulator and has figured out the way to russian power is through philosophy and cyberwar, not guns and nukes. There's a reason that, not only have we seen the US election attacked, but we have seen a rise in populism in the UK via brexit, populists rise like Le Pen in France, the split between Spain and Catalan, and now the rift in the Italian government as well as attacks on the EU and NATO and other institutions of western democracies designed to keep peace and comity among nations. It's in putin's interest that the west be 'cut down to size' rather than present a united front against russia and its interests. Divide and conquer is his plan, and so far it's working.

6 Likes Save    
azmom

A least UK and France soon woke up, and beat populism. Yet in the US, trumpesters are cheerleading for Putin.

1 Like Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Putin was for Trump to be president. Besides all of Trumps entanglements with Russian money he knew with Trump at the helm it would, in the end, make us weak. Trumps ADD style of leadership has led to chaos. No possibility of focusing on what really matters. We are trying to put out the small grass fires while the house burns to the ground and your neighbors house too.

4 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

It is odd that Trump is seen as a successful businessman when he isn't, the whole Russia thing started when he couldn't find anyone who hadn't had their fingers burnt to back him. His failed business enterprises outnumber the successes tenfold. He has the 'appearance' and the verbiage of one but the reality is different, we are seeing him now bringing that same 'genius' to the presidency.

6 Likes Save    
margievank

we are seeing him now bringing that same 'genius' to the presidency.

and it is a beautiful thing;)

Save    
momj47(7A)

we are seeing him now bringing that same 'genius' to the presidency

and it is a beautiful thing

Wow, for a Trump supporter to admit the brainwashing is complete is surprising

6 Likes Save    
margievank

LOL mom, are we friends?

Save    
momj47(7A)

LOL mom, are we friends?

I have no idea, since I don't investigate the political beliefs of my friends and neighbors and coworkers

But we could be friends.

Save    
Kathy

Annie, I have read opinions saying there is someone higher than Putin in the Russian mafia that is pulling the strings. Of course it is only a theory but makes a lot of sense that person would keep a low profile and have his frontmen do the work.

1 Like Save    
ojo_sigo

Putin as a James Bond-style world manipulator is a myth.

So Margo chaos is a beautiful thing? You will need to explain that, I describe incompetence but what you see it as a genius?

Save    
margievank

Only the left creates the chaos ojo.

Save    
d_gw

Why do these threads constantly devolve into "I know you are but what am I?". It's a shame.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I don't know...seems to me at $60B net worth, I'm not sure who putin would be reporting to.

ojo, I don't think putin's power is a myth at all. There are so many pieces falling into place globally, that it makes sense.

Save    
margievank

d_gw

Why do these threads constantly devolve into "I know you are but what am I?". It's a shame.

Spoken like a true liberal. Always wanting to change someone who does not think like them. Why just not let the threads evolve into what comes naturally. Always looking to control content. That is the true shame!

Save    
d_gw

margievank

d_gw

Spoken like a true liberal. Always wanting to change someone who does not think like them. Why just not let the threads evolve into what comes naturally. Always looking to control content. That is the true shame!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This "liberal" volunteered at the Department of Defense Warrior Games yesterday. Trite labels are a short cut for people that don't really have anything else to say and just like to hear themselves talk. THAT is a true shame.

Warrior Games

10 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Putin is a professional manipulator. And one who has made himself ultra wealthy through skullduggery

3 Likes Save    
margievank

False labels are a short cut for people that don't really have anything else to say. THAT is a true shame.

Take that point up with your liberal buddies!

Save    
d_gw

margievank

Take that point up with your liberal buddies!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there is the next version of "I know you are but what am I?". SMH. Bye Margo!

3 Likes Save    
margievank

Bye d-gw. Catch you later *waving*

Save    
ojo_sigo

The Trump White House is in chaos; this chaos was mysteriously created, not by those IN the WH but by the left, presumably those left outside, this is the total opposite of what is happening so how does Trump get people to believe his lies? Mysterious indeed.

7 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

Putin seems to be playing the same game as Trump, that is to impress those at home gullible enough to vote him and keep him in office, where he can scoop the cream off the top.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

We have seen this effect before: Goebbels.

We don't have state controlled media, just state demonized media so we can openly talk about the way propaganda functions.

There are signs that some public school systems are being subjected to what Goebbels did in their schools.

2 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

It's the only response left for the FRWEx forum members.

1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

This "liberal" volunteered at the Department of Defense Warrior Games yesterday.

Then that liberal is an enemy of Mr. Trump and his FRWEx forum members

Save    
blfenton

What I see is that trump does not support the American people but under the guise of saying he is all for them he turns on his allies. Who does that?

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Putin’s goal is now neither to recreate the USSR, nor to become part of the West. Rather, the ambition is to build an economic and technological “West” inside Russia, while continuing an aggressive posture towards the West on the outside….

Putin’s speech depicts his vision of Russia as a kind of Matryoshka, a Russian doll. The inside of the doll—the domestic part—is digital, wears hipster glasses and a short trendy jacket. The outside foreign part is dressed in military camouflage fatigues.

Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Trumpers think that our allies are our enemies because we have made "bad deals" with them. Trump told them so and they believe him.

Save    
ojo_sigo

A case in point KW is his spat with Canada where he reverses reality to make his bullying case. Unless everyone is groveling, he sees a bad deal. so far Trudeau is not playing his game.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Great Britain and France may now be wise to the dangers of right-wing populism, but Italy is having to learn the lesson again after the last failed experiment that began 100 years ago.

Putin helped both the extreme right Lega and the generally euro-skeptic Five Star Movement in the period before the March elections.

After almost three months, a few days short of the mandated 90-day period, a coalition government between the above two parties has been formed -- even after Five Star had previously declared no governing in a coalition.

Worse, the virulently anti-immigrant Lega, through its leader Matteo Salvini, has declared that no NGO ship rescuing refugees at sea will be allowed to anchor in any Italian port.

Lega Nord, not just anti-Rome and anti-Southern Italians anymore -- they are now equal opportunity bigots and racists.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The whole lie to trump's "bad deals" is that he just shreds existing deals with nothing in mind to replace them. He did that with the ACA, he did that with Iran, he's doing that with NAFTA and other trade agreements. Just renege on the existing deal with no idea of what or how to do it better, and no sense that the only way an agreement is reached of any kind is when 2 parties work together. It's never reached when one keeps kicking over the game board.

6 Likes Save    

As usual with Republican high office holders Trump works quite apparently for the one percentile, just look at the flagrancy of the recent tax bill.

Putin didn't get to the top of the formerly Soviet heap by not being ruthless, the most aggressive and attuned of thugs. And now we have a President who owes him money.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Kathy, I have a question... Where does the text in that comment of yours come from? Here's part

Putin’s speech depicts his vision of Russia as a kind of Matryoshka

Save    
roxsol

From a Globe and Mail editorial;

“The U.S. administration’s nominal argument, that unfettered steel imports imperil national security, is obviously bogus – Canada and the U.S. are the closest of allies. Nor can this move be laid at the door of the President’s frequently invoked soft spot for industrial workers, because the tariffs will harm American factories that use Canadian steel.

No, this is all about leverage, an obsession of a bullying President who styles himself a deal-maker. That has led him into a foolish way of doing business, especially with close partners, something we hope his administration will see.

Tit-for-tat tariffs probably won’t help as much as the fact that U.S. steel production can’t meet domestic demand for some products, so manufacturers will simply pay the levy and pass it on to American consumers. Or shut down.

Of course, all this ascribes a certain amount of reason to Mr. Trump, a man who tweets manically about conspiracy theories. Canada has reacted appropriately so far. But it’s hard to predict how things will play out in a confrontation with a reckless and erratic bully.”

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

He is working to keep as many of his campaign promises as he can without needing Congress.

Like protecting steel and coal.

He just did something that will force power companies to NOT shut down anything coal fired no matter anything.

Save    
1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

While Putin didn't highjack the election, it says, he did highjack American communication.

Golly, did he ever!

1 Like Save    
Kathy

This article gives some insight to where Putin wants to take Russia and it prompts me to believe he is taking the lead away from the US.

https://www.worldcrunch.com/tech-science/putin39s-toughest-challenge-a-high-tech-future-for-russia

Save