SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claudia_rosa

Location for sum and substance

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello everyone, where do you think Sum and Substance is growing to its best potential?

i transplanted one decent clump about 1 week ago (doing well) no drooping leaves and an other plant purchased, into the very back of my woodland garden. My thoughts were - big and light green into the back and smaller ones to the front. In the location they are right now I don't think they get "dappled" sun but it's also not very deep shade.

yesterday when watching some youtube about hostas that gardener went into the topic of sunlight.

Now I wonder if I should move the plants more to the front.

that being said can I move them right now or should, I wait until fall? As said, they don't look bad, still light green in color. This weekend it's supposed to be cloudy and raining probably a good day to move it ...

Comments (35)

• 5 years ago

I have Sum and Substance in a lot of sun and it burns here. By the end of summer it pretty much looks like crap but it is huge! I should move it but I don't really have any space to move it to. It is about 6' across and very big. BTW, I live in northern Utah. If you live in one of the more northern states, it would probably be fine with a lot of sun. Atlantis does much better for me in the sun than Sum and Substance does.

• Related Discussions

How does your Sum & Substance Unfurl?

Q

Comments (4)
    They've been in their current locations for about 3-4 years. Maybe I've just forgotten that they take a bit to brighten up, because I only remember them to be chartreuse. However, I was at someone else's garden this morning, and that person's was just "green" as well right now. I guess Patience is the operative word!
    ...See More

Blue Mammoth vs Sum and Substance

Q

Comments (5)
    I wouldn't worry about the Sum and Substance it will grow quickly. I don't have Blue Mammoth but my Elegans grow slower than the S&Ss that I have, but they get big after time. As to the question of planting under trees, it depends on the type of trees. Maples are tough, but the Elegans in my picture are right against a big maple tree. I plant under White Pines and never have any problem. I have Hickory and the hosta love it there. Unless you are still having freezing temps at night I would harden off the hosta by keeping them out if it is say 40 or so and get them into the ground when threat of frost has passed. They will do better in the ground. If we knew your location we could give better advice. Pictures of the area would help as well. Welcome to the group You will find good advice here and especially valuable advice from those who share a similar climate and conditions. Jon
    ...See More

Question about Sum & Substance

Q

Comments (13)
    I transplanted a 4-yr old, 15-pip S&S just around May 19th this year. It was still in pip form but elongated already and started to unfurl a couple of days later. It receives full sun from around 10 a.m. until sunset. A taller peony may provide a bit of shade as the sun swings towards setting and the foliage of a Rose of Sharon will do the same at intervals. Just watered and it is standing nice and tall, no sign of burn anywhere....but it isn't July yet when it gets very hot. Although we have had temps up to 33C the past week, it didn't show any signs of stress. Mind you, having a large bulk of a root system sure helps...it is far from a division which will need copious amounts of water to get those roots going. Here it is today, already in full sun for over an hour ..so far so good.:-) Closer....yes, you notice the tears on that leaf? Uh huh, I stepped on a pip back in April :( Doh! not optimum conditions for good photos, way too sunny, lol. Watching for wilt but the odd curl of leaf is from the heat of the sun, not so much from lack of water. Leaves are turgid. I have hopes it won't burn but won't be that surprised if it does. I will update during the summer if anyone is interested
    ...See More

Sum and Substance question

Q

Comments (38)
    josephine, maybe division isn't the right word for my S&S; maybe fraction is better. I got complaints from my better half that my S&S is too big as it is always trying to consume our garden path! Moving the path (see how the hostaphile mind works!) in this case isn't an option so to appease my better half I just remove the offending pip or two. A temporary solution as it does grow back in a few years. Dividing a S&S in half sounds like real work! Side note: S&S was my first hosta purchase - bare root mail order - didn't survive, a real disappointment as it was my first. Soured me on bare root purchases - especially given big box stores are selling potted S&S relatively cheap compared to mail order with shipping and handling charges. So S&S was probably my first big box store purchase too. Side side note: I did buy a box of bare root of 6 L. Dragonfly from Costco. Talk about delusions of grandeur, that is exactly how the marketeers get me with their spectacular photos. In early April as I jones for anything green and growing I might be tempted to buy a weed if photoed properly! I now have 5 beautiful L. Dragonfly. That is another thing - bare root takes years to develop into the ones like in the photo.
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

This is my SS in pretty much shade all day, and it has been here for AT LEAST 3 years.

I really love it because I don't have to keep watering it when we don't get a ton of rain, excuse my weeds, it's been hella hot here, so I'm staying inside in the AC, but, I'm sure had I planted it in more sun, it would need watered more often when we hadn't gotten a lot of rain, I have another one not far from this one that is a bit larger, but, not too much larger. This one is in between 2 Rhododendrons, Asian varieties, not the native to the US kind.

• 5 years ago

Linda's Garden, if I were you I would try sowing an acorn of an oak tree that does well in Utah right next to this hosta, soon you will have a shade tree right next to your Sum and Substance Hosta, and it could eventually shade enough of a plot to where you can have a shade garden there, maybe try to plant the acorn of an oak that tends to grow kinda fast there and is totally hardy there. If you do that you will succeed in having a shade garden, at least that makes sense to me. Maybe even have 2 or 3 of those acorns sown, I think in a few years you could have a very nice shade garden started, and over a few years after those trees get to casting some shade, you can expand the area and grow more and more shade plants, that's how I've gotten to plant several shade plants, but, I know that I will need to wait several more years before I am totally happy with all the area in shade where I can add more shade plants, I suggest oaks in the RED oak family for the fastest growth, but, if you have seedlings already in your woodland or yard that are in the White oak family, let em grow, if you aren't sure if they are red or white, but, you know they are oak seedlings, oaks are the best trees to grow shade plants under, just keep those seedlings unless they are super thickly growing, then just chose 1 of the nicest ones to keep.

LInda's garden, if you haven't seen any oak seedlings in your garden, maybe you should try to sow an acorn of an oak that is hardy in your area, if you want an acorn of an oak, in the fall or early fall maybe even August, go on the trees forum and ask for Poaky1 to send you acorns from a Chestnut oak, I am Poaky1, and I have 2 Chestnut oaks, they are in the White oak family, and they grow sorta fast, but, they also put out acorn when pretty young, so you may get deer in your yard after this tree is about 4-5 years old, because it will start making acorns at 4-5 years old, and that may mean that you will have to protect some of your plants that deer like. I never had a deer problem before my Chestnut oaks started producing acorns, after that deer are here in my yard in late August eating the acorns from the tree, and they love the native Rhododendrons that I now have planted in my yard, they don't touch the Asian Rhody's that everyone can get from Wal-Mart, or anywhere, but, if you get the native Rhody's, they will chomp em up big time, so I have to put cages around all of mine in fall until late spring. But, I've heard that deer love hostas, but, hey, I've never seen any damage to my hostas, but, I have just planted 2 "Empress wu hostas under a Chestnut oak, which is the same tree that I'd had deer eat some of my native Rhody down, and these are now baby Hostas, but, they will be huge after a couple of years, and I think that deer will try and eat them once they get any size to em. I mean really, Empress Wu will be huge from what I'd heard, that's why I bought and planted them. But, I have several Hostas that have been growing under my Chestnut oak, and they are kinda big, and the deer have never touched them, so maybe having a chestnut oak isn't meaning that Hostas will be eaten, and really if they (deer) come in late August, like they do in my zone 6a yard, under the "Chestnut oak (Querucus Montana) by then all of out Hostas have started to go into dpormancy anyway. But, really, if you choose another oak to plant or sow seeds from, you won't need to worry about acorns falling as soon, hell, your zone 6a, so you can chose from many oaks, Nuttals oak is an oak that is definitely zone 6a hardy, I have several, they are a red oak family oak, and can take wet to normal soils, they grow about 2 feet or 3 feet a year in full sun. Sorry for rambling, but, my Sum and Substance has grown great in shade, both of em have.

My second pic here shows the other Sum and Substance in the far left place in this pic, the plants in this container are Nasturtiums and Cosmos, the yellow groundcover is "Penny wort" or I think that;s the name of it, with Solomons Seal at the upper right, the big green plant, the SS is close to the white painted metal yard ornament at the upper left of the pic, you may need to click on the pic to see a larger form of my pic, this is a huge SS hosta, but, my pic was taken to show off the plants in the round pot really.

Claudia _michigan thanked poaky1
  • 5 years ago

Yeah, sorry, you can barely see my SS Hosta in the pic above.

• 5 years ago

Hi Poaky1 - Are there any special instructions for moving a 2 or 3 year old Oak seedling?

• 5 years ago

Poaky1 - that is about the darkest green S&S ever!

• 5 years ago

here's one of my Sum and Substance..anyone else have millions of ash seeds :-( ..it has pretty large leaves (my left thumb for scale)..stood further back to show more of the plant..a nice apple green color..gets some dappled morning sun..I've moved hostas in the summer..none of mine are in full sun but you have a shady lot too right?..

Claudia _michigan thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • 5 years ago

Never seen one with white flowers, either.

Claudia _michigan thanked gardencool
  • 5 years ago

2 s&s totally growing on top of each other. Didn’t know what kind of Hosta that was when I got it

• 5 years ago

Moved one into the front of the bed. Doing great here ... size wise down the line probably not the best spot tho, but it really seam to like the sun here

• 5 years ago

Garden looks great!

Claudia _michigan thanked n2hostas (Kansas)
  • 5 years ago

This is the second plant - not a devision out of the bed (picture above) this plant gets about 6 hours of morning sun

• 5 years ago

Well, Nicolsworth shows some pretty dark green Hostas ( Sum and Substance) I am thinking, they are Sum and Substance. But, anyway, they are possibly not really dark leaved if they are not growing in mostly shade, I've seen many Sum and Substance Hostas that were kinda bright green leaved, but, my SS Hostas are deep green leaved because they are in deep shade. I do have other Hostas that I have growing in only part shade, but, I will always think that Sum and substance looks best in mostly shade.

• 5 years ago

my Sum and Substance are lighter in color than most of my other hostas..I bought SS, August Moon and Fire Island to have some contrast from all of my "regular" green ones..you can see that SS is lighter than the hosta above it in my second pic..I think Claudia's are in more sun and lighter than mine..I enjoy having lighter shades of green..

Claudia _michigan thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • 5 years ago

Maybe if you were growing them in your basement! Given leaf and flower color I suggest it is not a S&S.

• 5 years ago

Gardencool for whom Is this reply? Mine have no flowers yet and I can’t see flowers on Nicole’s fotos..but than... Iam not wearing my glasses right now either lol

• 5 years ago

some pics I just took..the leaves are large and the color of SS..it does not have white blooms..there's 2 scapes coming with light purple buds..I did buy several SS..I'm confused by the comments too Claudia..

• 5 years ago

nickelsworth have you a S&S with dark green leaves and white flowers as does poaky1 in his above photo in this thread for which I've already pointed out. S&S is one of the most readily identifiable hostas out there.

• 5 years ago

gardencool..no..poaky1's is different than mine..

• 5 years ago

Here is one under the Noah's ark bird house. It seems to love this spot. All my gardens are under 80+ yr old burr oak. The earth is rich with decades of decaying leaves. I took this guy off of one in the front. It was really slow to grow there, didn't even realize what it was for many years. Every cutting I have taken has done better than the original plant as far as size and rate of growth.

The one in the distance just in-front of the Annabelle is the youngest at maybe four years. This line doesn't get the water the other's do. Who needs so many SS some will say, I realized this line should be larger hosta and they were all solids so SS was screaming to add some variation. The line is the edge of our mound system which is very sandy.

This picture is four years old. The SS is closest to the hose reel near the house. The beds up against the house are more clay but that doesn't seem to be a huge issue.

Claudia _michigan thanked arcy_gw
  • 5 years ago

Mine get full blazing sun most of the day and are surrounded by hot rocks to boot. I would describe the color as a nice bright, light green but wouldn't call them yellow in any way.

Claudia _michigan thanked cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
  • 5 years ago

arcy - your S&S looks great. You have the acreage and that is what S&S needs and where they look best. S&S WILL take over the location it is in. My very first hosta purchase - bare root - didn't survive - soured me on bare root hosta buys. Got a potted S&S shortly thereafter. Only hosta I've ever sold too - a small division twice.

What is that large dark green leafed hosta next to your S&S? Maybe that is what poaky1 has!

• 5 years ago

Arcy your garden looks like something you see in a magazine!! Did you level the soil in this slanted way or was your property already like that? It’s perfect for showing off themplants in the back!

love your “vase” growing Hosta in themlast picture to the left hand side! I can’t quite tell what it is, do you know?

thank you for sharing your pictures. I have hope for my garden. I literally came just in after cutting for roughly 7 hours today Buckthorn down and hauling tree logs with my son out of the way. It’s sometimes so overwhelming and I just want to give up. Than photos like uours makes me think my piece of property can look like yours one day.

• 5 years ago

Thank you claudia and gardencool. We have about three acres. Except for the grass area which was average size for mowing it is heavily wooded. We have done nothing other than the back patio as far as creating different terrains. The slant is the back side of our Mound-sewer system. That "hill" is the only FULL sun I have and no planting allowed on it!!! Our first days here, May of 1999,we discovered not a single breeze could make it though and thus the mosquitoes were eating my kids alive. We started out raising the canopy and clearing weeds/brush/BUCK THORN and any sapling not larger than my DH's forearm, to see if that would help. I worked early mornings at a green house and was paid mostly in plants. Now the gardens are 20years old and really take care of themselves. So yes the work load does get better!! Back in the day I paid my Jr. High age son fifty cents each to dig smaller stumps!! I go out a few hours each week and pull weeds/saplings but nothing too ambitious. Yesterday I took a couple of different trips to hunt/spray slugs. I found the GardenWeb early and read Ken's advise RELIGIOUSLY. Won't say I followed it all to the letter, but things have worked out. I used to know all/most of my hosta names. As a rule I have only old time tried and true, no fancy very expensive hosta. I have lost track and so many look so much alike I gave up trying to remember and sort them all out. My "collecting" came to a halt when I realized I couldn't keep track and they were all starting to look so much alike!!. But I think the one you are asking about is regal splendor..it came from a neighbor. Labels are long gone..I did a lot of rearranging in the beginning so losing track was easy. My house is surrounded with gardens about 20 feet deep along the grass line.

Left side

right side/round back

Around to the left of this garden

I have tons of companion plants in my hosta beds, varieties of ferns/astilbe/vinca vines/garden primrose/toad lilies even Lilies of the Valley!! There are also woodland natives Jack's and three varieties of Solomon's seal as well as trillium and other blooming 'weeds'. Anything that brings COLOR is pretty welcome in my gardens.

• 5 years ago

Arcy, you have a lovely garden!

• 5 years ago

Arcy - It IS lovely! And I just have to say that your story encouraged me... so I was really glad to read the account of how you developed your garden. Recently someone made the comment to me that I wouldn't want to be bothered by all this in 20 years.... Well, whether or not that is true, it isn't a reason for me to stop gardening now. In 20-25 years I'll just have to make that call. And your comment that the garden has begun to take care of itself to some degree is very encouraging as well. That's my plan - to get things somewhat established, then work on and enjoy the maintenance. My garden is still in "the building years," but I can already see that the hostas, and other perennials that are getting some size on them, do a great job of reducing the need for weeding. Unfortunately, I still have a number of places where the plants are small, or where I haven't planted much yet... and those areas got away from me this year because I just wasn't able to get it all mulched. Now it's just too darn hot to be spreading a load of mulch!

Anyway - thanks for sharing the positive story and beautiful pictures!

• 5 years ago

Hey, gardencool and everyone else, I could have a different hosta than S&S, but, I'm pretty sure that is what I purchased it as when I bought it from a mail order nursery, I can't recall which one though, the other 1 I think is S&S is dark green too, but, has no flowers, I have only purchased 2 types of huge potential growing Hosta, and that is Sum and Substance, and the Empress Wu, I got 2 of them, they are small, I just planted them this spring. So what other huge or biggest Hostas are there?

And Connie, as far as the oak, wait until it's dormant then dig it up, try to keep a good bit of roots, but, make sure they aren't circling around each other, but, you likley did that when you first planted it anyway, then (of course make the hole not any deeper than the roots, but, a bit wider, I try about 6 inches wider on each side.

Then cover with native soil, sometimes you may need to add some bagged TOPSOIL, just to have enough soil (in my experience anyway) then mulch and water very well. If I forgot something Ken can add it, of course keep it water well when there's not enough rain, but, don't overdo it, since the tree will be dormant, it won't need a ton of moisture until next growing season. Sometimres digging an oak up after it being in the ground for 2-3 years is harder than you'd think, if it was sown from an acorn in the ground originally, you just may have a real job there ahead of you, hope your soil isn't as rocky as mine is, you may need some power digging equiptment if your soil is hard clay, or rocky, and if the oak is a Burr oak they CAN have taproots go down as deep as 7 feet, I've read that before. Hopefully yours was planted from a nursery pot, then it will just be a bit hard, but, not too bad, I was able to move one myself, and I'm not in too great shape. I did need to use a saws all too cut the root that grew into the soil, but, a guy in great shape or a determined woman in not great shape can do it, with some small power equiptment.

• 5 years ago

Thanks Poaky1 - really appreciate the advice. This plant is from an acorn and right next to a fence but still young. This pic is from late last season- colour is the same this season.

• 5 years ago

arcy..such a pretty garden!..as windymess said - I'm also encouraged to hear you say that as plants have matured there's less work..I've been working on half an acre for 13 years and I'm just now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel..the trees and shrubs I planted are good sized now and I'm doing edging and rearranging some perennials ..the work ahead is less daunting than what's behind me..I would NOT want to start over..

• 5 years ago

"Recently someone made the comment to me that I wouldn't want to be bothered by all this in 20 years.... "

Yeah, we all be dead soon enough so why bother? The pessimist's guide to gardening!

Zen and the art of gardening( an inquiry into values) - someone needs to write that book. Or maybe it is already written?

“Peace of mind produces right values, right values produce right thoughts. Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

• 5 years ago

Connie, sorry for the confusing post above (I deleted it) I sometimes have some booze to drink when I answer my messages, but, it is a Red oak family oak, I am not sure which of the Red oaks it is though. Ken is really knowledgeable on trees as well as Hostas, so he may be able to help. And sometimes seedlings can have different leaves than more mature trees, but, fall color can help too. I will take a guess that it may be a Northern Red oak, but, time will tell, or maybe Ken or someone else here who knows a bit about oak trees. Sorry for the confusing post that was above.

BTW, if you see what kinda trees are around your yard, or nearby, that may help too, an animal buried it there, so I'm guessing mama isn't too far away.

• 5 years ago

PWI - posting while intoxicated. NEVER a good idea.

• 5 years ago

You are right gardencool, but, fortunately, I don't go on Facebook. I know, it's bad enough on Gardenweb. But, hey, Conniemay, I hope somebody can tell you what type of oak it is, try the Trees forum on gardenweb.

• 5 years ago

I just got my Hosta "Stephen King" today, it's a super tall (about 3 1/2 ft to 4 ft ) tall hosta with nice red stems. I've been wanting a red stemmed Hosta. I will post pics eventually. It will need staked by the looks of it.