SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Honda mower would not start after running a while

andrelaplume2
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This will be long...sorry..I figure you docs need the facts to make a diagnosis.

The patient is a (6?) year old Honda. The $399 jobber bought from a now defunct private dealer. :(

Pop died and his beloved snapper soon after. We had little time to shop around, the dealer said the Honda had a great engine (GV160). Each year I buy the $15 kit at HD and change the oil, filter, plug and remove and sharpen the blade and clean it up. My 17 year daughter uses it cut the 1/3 or so acre. The mower is a hard worker but I would not say overly abused. The only issues I recall were perhaps changing a front tire and adjusting the self propulsion. It takes her about an hour to mow. She usually takes a 5 minute break about 40 minutes in.

I just serviced it last week. Today she used it. It ran fine for 40 minutes and she said she took a longer than usual break - 15 minutes. It would not restart. She called me. We verified there was gas, the shut off did not somehow get turned off, it was not clogged etc.

I immediatley had fears that it was suffering the fate of my **12** year old Toro (affectionately called old Smokey and now semi retired) Old Smokey would start (and immediately blow off some steam - ok it looked like a cloud filled my yard - but it would clear) then he'd run fine..so long as you did not stop. Once heated up he would not restart until cooled completely down. My dealer gave me a coil to try and some other things but in the end...retirement. The Honda is only ***6*** years old though!

I told my daughter to let it sit a while. 20 minutes later, it still would not start. The patient was admitted to the hospital .....err uh the garage (her normal home is the shed!) until I arrived 2 hours later. Guess what - still would not start!

I removed the filter...it looked like the rubber part was very slightly wet with gas. With it off I continued to try to start it. It sounded like it might start but kept puttering out. I shut the gas filter off -- I had to try something! I pulled a few more times and it started, ran for 90 seconds and then, as expected stalled. I turned the shut off back on. It started. I put the filter back on. It stared and I used it for 20 minutes. I let it sit 25 minutes or so and it still started.

My daughter will use it again next week and we will see what happens...keeping my fingers crossed.

So docs, what do you thing happened to our patient? Mid life crisis....???

Comments (15)