SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

JUNE - FOTESS Famous People in the World of Plants

sandlapper_rose
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

There will be no swap this month, but there will be games and I hope you will log on throughout the month as we discuss Famous People in the World of Plants. You'll find quite a selection and they can be fictional, gardeners, botanists, horticulturalists, environmentalists, even landscape designers! We may recognize some of the names but many will be new to us.

Everyone who enjoys the Round Robins on Houzz is welcome to post but only FOTESS members will be game winners for prizes. If you are interested in joining our group, contact me (Jeanne) or Shirley (sjc48) for more information. FOTESS stands for "Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps". We ask that if you would like to join, you have a commitment to participate frequently by posting and joining in on some of the swaps.

You can participate this month by sharing some information about a person and how that person is related to plants or to plant history and the environment. There will be at least two games (Bingo – I'll be posting the list of words shortly) and I'll also have a drawing towards the end of the month from the people who have shared information. Each time you post information relating to this theme, your name will be entered in the drawing. One or two participants, drawn at random, will win a prize at the end of the month. Of course, you can chat about other things, too. Perhaps I'll think of another game as we go along. If you can't think of someone to post about, the Bingo list will give you many ideas! However, you can add information about people who are not on the Bingo list. Keep them coming and you don't need to write a long paragraph, just a bit about the person and the importance they had. Once one person has told a detail about a person that same detail about that same person cannot be listed again. Think of something new about that person or select a different person in the world of plants.

I'm looking forward to this fun month!

Comments (131)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Totally amazed by all this information and what hard work so many of you are doing researching these people and then writing about them. Thanks so much!

Our Bingo word today is: Andre LeNotre.

Called so far: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis. Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown and Andre LeNotre.

We were supposed to be meeting our farrier this morning to get the horse hooves trimmed so off we went in the light rain, but I guess the farrier decided it was too wet and didn't show up. After that - out to vote in the primary election. I think I am ready for a nap!

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    5 years ago

Andre Le Notre: The greatest French garden and landscape designer. Andre Le Notre followed his father as head gardener at the Jardin des Tuilleries in Paris and also studied fine art in Paris. The parks which Le Notre designed at Vaux-le-Vicomte and Versailles are the supreme examples of the French seventeenth century style of garden design. Le Notre also projected the central axis of the Tuileries, which became the grand axis of Paris running to the Arc de Triomphe and La Defense. The designer enjoyed a warm relationship with his patron Louis XIV. Both were men of taste with a passion for gardens and architecture. The baroque style of garden design, which they brought to a crescendo, became widely influential in Europe and beyond the wider world. Every prince and potentate dreamed of owning a garden which would 'outshine Versailles'. This ambition resulted in vast works, though few were executed with a fraction of Le Notre's excellent design judgement.

• Related Discussions

Orchids named after famous people ??

Q

Comments (8)
    A short list of some that I know and some that I looked up! Aranthera Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo Named after the President of the Philippines. Cattleya General Patton Cattleya Originally registered Cattleya Joseph Stalin, but was changed after his crimes became known during World War II. It's the only time that the RHS has allowed a name change. (Out of these, it't the only one that I actually have.) Cypripedium wardii is named after the famous British plant collector and explorer Francis Kingdon-Ward. But, this probably isn't what you're lookin' for! Dendrobium Masako Kotaishi Hidenka (to commemorate the royal wedding of Princess Masako of Japan to Prince Naruhito). Dendrobium Memoria Princess Diana It was planted on September 22, 1997, in Singapore, exactly 22 days after her death. Dialaelia Mizoguchi 'Princess Kiko' named after the wife of Emperor Akihito's second son Prince Akishino. Laelia gouldiana 'Greta Garbo'. From the Raymond Burr collection. Mokara Zhu Rongji 'Lao An' Created for Chinese Premier Zhu Rongji's wife, Lao An. Zhu Rongji. Paravanda Nelson Mandela Named for him former president of South Africa, on the occasion of his visit to the National Orchid Garden,in Singapore, on 5th March 1997. Pecteilis(Habenaria) sagarikii-(the duck orchid) Named after Professor Rapee Sagarik, founder of the Thailand Orchid Society. Phragmipedium kovachii Considering the circumstances and hysteria surrounding this one, I'd say that the name Michael Kovach has become fairly famous! ;~) Renanthera Akihito 'Emperor' Named in honour of Emperor Akihito of Japan. Renaglottis Ricky Martin named for him in Singapore for his visit. Spathoglottis Jane Goodall Named after Dr Jane Goodall, for the occasion of her visit to the National Orchid Garden on Monday, 6 Dec 2004. Of course...Singapore!;~) Chadwick's does have their page of orchids named after celebs and heads of state. They also mention many other orchids with famous names.
    ...See More

new: june fotess swap: "snip and share"

Q

Comments (150)
    I'm going to give both Erica and Heidi a point. They each had 2 correct words and posted so close together that I doubt they saw the other guess. Great effort, ladies! Adding words: _ i _ _ _ i _ _ (8) Posted on first list _ _ _ _ i _ (6) _ _ _ i _ _ _ (7) _ _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ (10) _ _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (12) _ _ _ _ i _ _ i _ _ (10) I have a long meeting to attend in the morning so I may not be drawing letters and posting them until after lunch, but I won't forget! Jeanne
    ...See More

Persnickety's world famous cost-tracking spreadsheet

Q

Comments (160)
    I see this was so many years ago, but I would appreciate a copy of the spreadsheet if it is still in circulation :) acroy25@yahoo.com
    ...See More

NEW: MAY FOTESS, ~~~"FOTESS MOMMIES"~~~

Q

Comments (249)
    Beth....LOL!!! It is all about fun!!!!! Confusion makes it even more fun!!! Playing "FOTESS MOMMIES" and giving THANKS to Jeanne and Shirley this past month of May...........THANKS Jeanne and Shirley!!!! *Shirley...(brittneysgran)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Nicole...(bluee19)...SENT....Shirley REC/Jeanne REC *Darrin...(cryptid)....SENT....Jeanne REC/ Shirley REC *Erica...(ericabraun)....SENT...... Jeanne REC/ Shirley REC *Peggy...(canfan)....SENT to Jeanne and Shirley...Shirley REC *Margo (smitties)...SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Heidi (xiangirl)....SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Katie (kchd)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Faye (nottougly)....SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Mandy (l1onnes)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Beth (beth_b_kodiak)....SENT to Shirley and Shirley (LOL!) and Jeanne....Jeanne REC *Annie...(canyonwind)...SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC Happy Wednesday! Annie
    ...See More
  • sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Amy, thanks for adding the information for the person who was our Bingo word yesterday. Versailles is fantastic!

For today we have Charles Jencks.

Called so far: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis. Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre and .Charles Jencks.

Have a good day!

• gardengirl37232
    5 years ago

Alexander Garden (1731-1791) was a Scottish physician, botanist and zoologist. In his early 20's, he emigrated to South Carolina and became a physician to wealthy planters. He reported the flora and fauna and sent specimens of American animals and plants to John Ellis, a zoologist in London and to Carl Linnaeus in Sweden. Ellis persuaded Linnaeus to use Gardenia as a name for the Cape jasmine, also known as Cape jessamine. Ironically, although it was named after him, the plant had nothing to do with him or America.

• gardengirl37232
    5 years ago

Gottlieb Haberlandt (1854-1945) was an Austrian botanist. In 1902 he made the first attempt to culture isolated plant cells in vitro in artificial medium. He suggested that individual cells had the potential to give rise to a complete plant, a concept termed totipotentiality, a theory previously put forth by Schawann and Scheilden. He is considered the father of plant tissue culture.

• EricaBraun
    5 years ago

A garden requires patient labor and attention. Plants do not grow merely to satisfy ambitions or to fulfill good intentions. They thrive because someone expended effort on them.

--Liberty Hyde Bailey

• amybabyboy3
    5 years ago

Charles Alexander Jencks (born June 21, 1939) is a cultural theorist, landscape designer, architectural historian, and co-founder of the Maggie’s Cancer Care Centres. He has published over thirty books and became famous in the 1980s as theorist of Postmodernism.[1] In recent years Jencks has devoted time to landform architecture, especially in Scotland.[1] These landscapes include The Garden of Cosmic Speculation and Jupiter Artland outside Edinburgh. His continuing project The Crawick Multiverse, commissioned by the Duke of Buccleuch, opened in 2015 near Sanquhar in Scotland.

• amybabyboy3
    5 years ago

One of Jenck's design

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love that picture, Amy. I'll have to look up some more of his designs.

Today's Bingo word is Charles Darwin. Called so far: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, and Charles Darwin.

I'm going to try to come up with a game for this weekend based on Father's and Father's Day so we'll see how I do. Watch for it.

Jeanne

• gardengirl37232
    5 years ago

Mel Bartholomew was a construction engineer who coined the term square foot gardening and popularized it. He had a public television series called "Square Foot Gardening" that ran for six years and a book of the same title. This method took less space, needed less water, and yielded more per square foot than tranditional methods.

• gardengirl37232
    5 years ago

Masanobu Furuoka (1913-2008) trained as a microbiologist and agricultural scientist. He was a Japanese farmer who wrote "One-Straw Revolution" and "The Road Back to Nature." He espoused Furuoka-style natural farming. Its principles included no tilling, no fertilizers, no pesticides, and no weeding. He does emphasize that natural farming is different from noninterference. He also came up with the idea of inserting seeds into clay pellets before sowing to present seeds from being eaten by birds and insects and from drying out.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A Father's Day game! Anyone in FOTESS can guess the answers. Please send them to me by Message or email before the end of the day on Saturday. I'll announce the winner on Sunday. If more than one person has all the answers correct, I will select one of them from folded slips of paper to announce the winner.

Here's how this will work. You will see the names of children in parenthesis at the start of each line. After it/them you will see a first and a last name of a person with the letters scrambled. The name of the person whose letters are scrambled is the father of the children who are listed before him. He is listed by first name then last name. Sources are movies, TV, fiction, and the comics.

You don't have to retype all of this to send your answers to me. You can simply type the number and the unscrambled name of the father referenced. If you are stumped by some of them, just send in the ones you have guessed,

1. (Jem and Scout) sautcti cihnf

2. (Wendy, Michael and John) gegoer ladrgin

3. (Scarlett, Carreen and Suellen) leargd hoara

4. (Gloria) rehica unekrb

5. (Elroy and Judy) eggero ojnset

6. (Alexander and Cookie) odwgdoa eadbsmut

7. (Dennis) yhrne cilelhtm

8. (Pete, Tommie, Zuzu, Janie) reogge ayleib

9. (John Boy, Jim Bob, Elizabeth, Erin, Jason and Mary Ellen) ojnh otawnl

10. (Elly Mae) edj tapmlcet

11. (Wednesday and Pugsley) zmeog mddasa

12. (Alex, Mallory, Jennifer and Andrew) evesnt oaketn

13. (Amy and Nick) nywea klssznaii

14. (Tabitha) niradr esphenst

15. (Marty, Linda and Dave) reegog clymf

I think I got all of that typed in correctly, but let me know if something seems amiss. Yes, there will be a prize!

Good luck and Happy Father's Day to the dads, grandads, uncles,etc.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our Bingo word for today is Frederick Law Olmstead.

Called so far: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin and Frederick Law Olmstead.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks to all who have been sending in guesses for the Father's Day game. We have some very smart game players!

Our Bingo word for today is Empress Josephine of France

Called so far: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin, Frederick Law Olmstead and Empress Josephine of France.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pierre-Joseph Redoute was one of the most talented plant artists in history. He dominated botanical painting between 1790 – 1830 and produced over 2,100 paintings for published plates depicting over 1,800 different species, many of which had never been rendered before. Redouté was fortunate to become an artist who was patronized by the kings of France from Louis XVI to Louis-Philippe. His work continues to be popular and is widely reproduced. I think all of us have seen images of his roses.

I'll be back tomorrow with another Bingo word. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. It's hot here, not a surprise for June. I hope a thunderstorm may show up before morning or I'll be dragging those hoses around again!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Happy Father's Day to all the men in our lives!

Our word for today is William Bartram.

Called so far: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin, Frederick Law Olmstead, Empress Josephine of France and William Bartram.

The rain I was hoping for never showed up last night so I was out watering everything this morning. It's going to be a long summer! I have more tomato plants with blossoms and the plants are growing like crazy. It looks like the first tomato I will be able to pick will be a Cherry Roma Tomato. It's the only one with little green tomatoes so far.

The winner of our Famous Father's word jumble game is Margo! Congratulations, Margo. I'll likely send out all the prizes for the month at the same time so there will be a bit of a delay before it gets mailed. Everyone who participated guessed the right names for the fathers, so I drew a folded piece of paper to determine the winner.

Here's a list of the correct answers.

1. Atticus Finch

2. George Darling

3. Gerald O'Hara

4. Archie Bunker

5. George Jetson

6. Dagwood Bumstead

7. Henry Mitchell

8. George Bailey

9. John Walton

10. Jed Clampett

11. Gomez Addams

12. Steven Kearon

13. Wayne Szallinski

14. Darrin Stephens

15. George McFly

Have a great day!

Jeanne

• smitties
    5 years ago

Woo hoo I won! Thanks Jeanne. No worry on the prize.

Hot, hot, hot here. i am itching to go outside and weed but it is way too hot. I just love living here. The gardens are flourishing and I am obsessed with going out and weeding so I can get them all done and then just be able to pick the occasional weed. I have two bigger gardens to finish up. I was telling a work associate how well my pots do here too and realized I have planted 30+ pots up and want more!!! My husband painted a small doghouse we have for the cats to match the house. I am going to put small pots of flowers to the sides of the door. I am having such fun. LOL

I hope everyone is enjoying their day. We are heading out to our sons and meeting up with our dd, sil, and the grandbaby. He's already 4 months old and growing fast. Margo

• gardengirl37232
    5 years ago

Congratulations, Margo! And that is such a cute idea to paint the doghouse to match the house!

• gardengirl37232
    5 years ago

David Karp is a pomologist, fruit detective and writer. His career as a fruit writer began at the New York Times when he wrote an article on apricots and brought the angelcot, a species of white apricot, to the public's attention.

Karp's sweet quince was named in David Karp's honor.

He helped to co-found the Chinese Citrus Germoplasm Repository.

He and Andy Mariani of Andy's Orchard co-founded Bunyard Orchard in Morgan Hill, California.

He was part of a three year research project: "Unforbidden fruits: preventing citrus smuggling by introducing varieties culturally significant to ethnic communities. This was a joint project by the University of California at Riverside and the USDA in an attempt to prevent the illegal smuggling of fruit and plants into California by making disease-free germoplasm available to California nurseries and tree farmers to reduce illegal demand.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A hard rain yesterday not far from us, but only a few drips here - have to hate it when the rain is "so close".

Our Bingo word for today is George Washington Carver.

Called so far: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin, Frederick Law Olmstead, Empress Josephine of France, William Bartram and George Washington Carver.

Have a good day!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We were out at the farm this morning to meet the farrier so the horses could get their hooves trimmed. For a change, both had excellent behavior! Piper who is my younger horse, licked my hand and wrist for about 15 min. while the farrier was working on her feet. Just glad she found something to keep herself busy and out of trouble.

We are in for a stretch of super hot weather for yesterday and the next few days. I think the heat index will be 102-108. Yesterday was the first time I've had to water the garden twice in a day so far this year. After all that care I put into these plants, whatever it takes...

Anyway, our Bingo word for today is: Luther Burbank.

I'll recopy the full Bingo list for us tomorrow.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still sizzling in the heat here. Our news even said that if your air conditioning went out, not to remain in your house - to go to a hotel or stay with other family members - because fans will not provide adequate cooling. I don't think I've heard them announce that before.

Anyway, here's the Bingo word for today: Cyrus McCormick.

The full list called is: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin, Frederick Law Olmstead, Empress Josephine of France, William Bartram, George Washington Carver, Luther Burbank, and Cyrus McCormick.

Here's some information about Cyrus McCormick. The mechanical reaper was invented by Cyrus McCormick, a Virginia blacksmith, in 1831. Essentially, it was a horse-drawn machine that harvested wheat, and it was one of the most important in the history of farm innovations. The reaper was capable of cutting six acres of oats in one afternoon, the equivalent of 12 men working with scythes.

At the time, McCormick was only 22 years old, but his invention made him prosperous and famous. He is remembered as “the Father of Modern Agriculture". McCormick was a religious man who believed his mission was to help feed the world. He teamed with and drew on the work of many other people in developing the reaper, including his father and one of his slaves.

I'll check in later.

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    5 years ago

Jeanne, I have not heard of that warning either. I am hoping your Air does not go on the blink!! I remember in grade school learning about Cyrus and his reaper....quite amazing for the time.

Happy Wednesday!!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's the first day of summer and the longest day of the year in our hemisphere! Of course we need to celebrate (the idea if not the temperature) so I drew two Bingo words: Johnny Appleseed and Carol Linne (Linnaeus)

I found out the other day that June 21st is also the day for celebrating World Giraffe Day. The connection between the two is that the giraffe is the animal with the longest neck. In my opinion, it's too hot to visit the giraffes at our local zoo today , but I'll think of them. Riverbanks Zoo and Garden – has a lovely giraffe area and has housed giraffes since opening nearly 45 years ago. Many baby giraffes have been born at our zoo. Currently, five females and three males reside in the African Savanna exhibit. The last time my family and I visited the zoo we got to feed the giraffes which was lots of fun! A baby girl giraffe was born in April of this year and was named Amelia in honor of an 8 year old girl named Amelia who loved giraffes. She was dying from brain cancer the last time she got to visit the giraffes at the zoo. Life can be so unfair to children.

I'll provide a full Bingo list tomorrow and I think today's two words should be helpful.

Jeanne

• smitties
    5 years ago

Jeanne, that's quite a warning. Kind of scary.

The heat has taken a break here today. We have had rain for the last three days which helps with the watering and more "occasional" rain in the forecast for the next couple of days. I need to get some weeding done in a couple more gardens and my major gardens are then all done.

I sure didn't do very good at picking my Bingo words. I have 10 left on my list. LOL

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Margo, you're not the only one for whom Bingo is going slowly. Let's hope it picks up speed. Today's word is Pliny the Elder.

Full list: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin, Frederick Law Olmstead, Empress Josephine of France, William Bartram, George Washington Carver, Luther Burbank, Cyrus McCormick, Johnny Appleseed, Carol Linne (Linnaeus) and Pliny the Elder.

I bought four new roses last Spring. Three of the four had been blooming for quite some time now and I was beginning to wonder about Amadeus who seemed to be off to such a slow start. I finally have some flowers on it and the flowers are beautiful - a velvet like texture, the perfect shade of red, and they come in clusters. I'm sharing a picture. I was glad I picked out thorny roses. The deer seem to have discovered them, but so far they are only eating some of the leaves along the stems. I think the big thorns are more than what they want to chew. The voles killed several of my roses a few years ago and I really worried about putting in these new ones --- I could see vole holes right where the roses are planted. However, I think a snake found them and I know some really dislike snakes, but that's not the case with me - I wish I could make him a pet and keep him in my garden. The voles were really costly to me one year killing one plant after another ... and of course, they went for the most expensive plants.

Have a good day.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And Bingo goes on ... Today's word is Pedanius Dioscorides.

Full list of those called: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin, Frederick Law Olmstead, Empress Josephine of France, William Bartram, George Washington Carver, Luther Burbank, Cyrus McCormick, Johnny Appleseed, Carol Linne (Linnaeus), Pliny the Elder and Pedanius Dioscorides.

I'll have to check the pages I printed out. Someone must be getting close!

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    5 years ago

About two thousand years ago, Pedanius Dioscorides, a physician traveling throughout the Roman Empire with Emperor Nero's army, would collect samples of the local medicinal herbs everywhere he went. He turned his passion for plants and other medicinal substances into a monumental reference work on herbs and pharmacy that remained the supreme authority on the subject for over 1500 years.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the information about Diocorides.

Our Bingo word for today is Emanuel Sweert. Tomorrow I'll post the full list of those called.

Another hot day here --- what's new?

• smitties
    5 years ago

A rather mild day here. Going to start redoing the pond that came with this house.

I'm not even close to bingo. I still need 8.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This Bingo games seems to be moving along slowly ... must be the hot weather! I'm going to start drawing 2 words a day tomorrow so we can get it finished up.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our TWO Bingo words for today:

EDWIN BEARD BUDDING

PEARL FRYER

We will get a winner this week! The full of words called is: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin, Frederick Law Olmstead, Empress Josephine of France, William Bartram, George Washington Carver, Luther Burbank, Cyrus McCormick, Johnny Appleseed, Carol Linne (Linnaeus), Pliny the Elder, Pedanius Dioscorides, Emanuel Sweert, Edwin Beard Budding, and Pearl Fryer.

Still hot and dry here. We'll hear thunder in the area, but the rain falls somewhere else.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our two Bingo words for today:

Joel Poinsett

Paul Bunyan

We are getting so close to having a winner! Will it happen tomorrow?

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our 2 Bingo words for today:

Enid Haupt

Eli Whitney

Will there be a winner today?

Full list of words called: Henry Bosenburg, George Gibbs, William Barclay Hall, Meriwether Lewis, Gertrude Jekyll, Capability Brown, Andre LeNotre, Charles Jencks, Charles Darwin, Frederick Law Olmstead, Empress Josephine of France, William Bartram, George Washington Carver, Luther Burbank, Cyrus McCormick, Johnny Appleseed, Carol Linne (Linnaeus), Pliny the Elder, Pedanius Dioscorides, Emanuel Sweert, Edwin Beard Budding, Pearl Fryer, Joel Poinsett, Paul Bunyan, Enid Haupt, and Eli Whitney.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still waiting for someone to call Bingo. The words chosen today are:

William Radler

David C.H. Austin

Check your lists...

• canyonwind
    5 years ago

BINGO....Thank you David Austin!! However, I do not feel right winning as I contributed zilch nothing this month. Give the prize to the next person who calls the "B" word.....OK Jeanne???? I have so enjoyed reading all the info this month....great research and very informative!! Thanks!

Do any of you cook with edamame noodles/spaghetti??? I am wondering how they would be in a chilled salad or something safe at room temp. I have made a hot pasta with them....you don't feel as bloaty and full, when comparing to pasta with wheat.

Beautiful day here....lots to do outside!

Happy Thursday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If someone wants to take Annie up on her generous offer, post Bingo sometime today. The first to post Bingo following this message will be the winner. Otherwise, Annie, you get the prize!

• smitties
    5 years ago

I think the prize is well deserved to Annie. She's contributed so much in the past. I would like her to have it

• amybabyboy3
    5 years ago

Congratulations Annie! I agree with Margo and I am so happy you won!

• gardengirl37232
    5 years ago

Congratulations, Annie! You deserve it!

• brittneysgran
    5 years ago

Annie-Congratulations on your BINGO win.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annie, I am in total agreement - you are the winner of Bingo!

Our other winners are: Margo for the Father's Day Word Scramble Game

and Erica has just been selected from a random drawing from all the names of those who participated in the Famous People in the World of Plants. (Those who participated got a number assigned for each time they listed information about someone for us.)

Thanks for a fun and informative month. I have the prizes ready and will try to get them mailed tomorrow. I'm hoping they might make it to you before the July 4th holiday. We'll see...

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the ladies! Jeanne thank you for a fun and informative month!

• smitties
    5 years ago

Jeanne, thank you so so much for your time snd energy to make this month so fun. Enjoy your Fourth of July. Margo

• gardengirl37232
    5 years ago

Congratulations, Erica! Jeanne, thank you for a fun month. I learned a lot.

• EricaBraun
    5 years ago

Thanks so much for the win! And thanks for hosting this month, Jeanne.

Also, Annie, congratulations on your win!

• EricaBraun
    5 years ago

Jeanne -- I received my adorable cards, tags, and bookmark that you made. Thank you so very much. I love them!

• smitties
    5 years ago

I too received my wonderful prize package. The bookmark is in action already replacing a piece of scrap paper. You did a great job.

• canyonwind
    5 years ago

Jeanne,

Thank you so much for the cards, gift tag and bookmark!! Darling!!! The button touch on the tags...love!!

Happy Fourth of July to all!! Be safe!! Have fun! Cheers!

Annie

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Thanks for the fun Jeanne!