SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sasametz1s

Polyurethane suggestions on stairs?

Susie Sametz
5 years ago
I’m converting my stairs from carpet to hardwood; I ripped the carpet off, bought raw red oak tread caps, stained them to my desired color in an oil-based dark stain, and now wondering what is the most durable/scratch resistant polyurethane I can apply on top? Or is Rubio Monocoat a better option?

I applied Minwax Ultimate Floor Finish in satin (water-based) to my scrap piece of stained wood as a tester and I was able to scratch it with my fingernail, leaving me apprehensive to apply to the treads. Note: the oil stained wood had dried for 72hrs before applying the water based poly and it scratched after the poly cured for 48hrs.

I have a 37lb dog and heard poly will get scratched by dogs no matter what, but I’m really opposed to a carpet runner/non-slip pads. So please advise the most durable/scratch resistant top coat for these stair treads. Thank you!

Comments (36)

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

I have wood floors, and trim my dog's nails once a week or so - as soon as I can hear his nails clickity-clack on the floor, it's time to trim them up.

• Related Discussions

Have any suggestions for our stairs?

Q

Comments (11)
    You find that kind of dark shadowing even on newer furniture. We have an oak living room set, Amish made, and on one arm chair, the dark has started where body oils have accumulated on the wood. It's almost 'gunky' and you feel like you could scrape it off carefully. Oils oxidize and darken, just like zits. LOL. Back when I was a child, wooden floors were the norm and not not the exception and wooden floors and furniture was oiled to keep it looking shiny. It was common for the lesser used part of a floor or stair tred to darken from lack of wear. I think your project may turn out to be less of a problem than you think, and the wood looks like it's in good repair. The steel wool and soap will remove paint spatterings. I use it routinely on my wood floors when I find paint spatters, and that's so common when people use rollers, as opposed to brushes.
    ...See More

Polyurethane stairs

Q

Comments (2)
    Oil + oil = no brainer. Sorry but you do NOT want t mix your finishes. If you used oil based stain then the safest thing is to use an oil based polyurethane. Hopefully you are not living in the house right now. Many people find the odour of oil based polyurethane to be noxious (it gives me migraines and nose bleeds).
    ...See More

Suggestions for planter box replacements and front stairs

Q

Comments (6)
    Consider having wider steps to welcome your guests. And price out the cost of having concrete planter boxes created on either side. Otherwise, I would have the stairs replaced, and then have a mason create cinderblock planters on either side that you can have faced in the brick of the house. But first, I would get a price for concrete planters joined to your steps. A simple, modern style wrought iron railing system would look elegant.
    ...See More

Please help. I need suggestions for painting my staircase.

Q

Comments (7)
    Here's a lovely combination believed to be Navajo White walls and White Dove trim. As for the stairs, the look I like is for the newel posts and handrails to match the treads. Since your newel is repeated so many times, you might want to paint it so it vanishes. The risers and stringer should match your trim. Your stained parts match the floor pretty well. Wait until after you paint to decide whether you want to change them or not. IMO, every room can use a touch of black,but wait and see. Personally, I'm a fan of satin finishes and use them most everywhere. Not everyone agrees. Here's a before & after of a project I helped with here at Houzz
    ...See More
  • Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @SJ McCarthy, thanks for the info. I used an oil-based stain on the treads; if Loba can only be used on water-based stains, do you have any other recommendations that are compatible with oil-based stains? Thanks!
  • Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @AnnKH thanks, good idea!
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    5 years ago

Apply 1 coat Loba Easy Prime, then two coats of Supra AT.

Depending on what brand of stain you used, you may need to abrade it with a maroon pad before applying your finish.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

Bona Traffic Naturale' may also be a good option. It does have a slip resistance factor but the amount escapes me at the moment.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @G&SFloorService I used ZAR oil-based stain from Sherwin Williams; will using the Loba primer and Supra AT poly yield good results?
  • Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Oak & Broad, I’ve heard good things about the Bona Traffic and two part Traffic line (exact name escapes me right now), but that they are not for the average DIY-er? Is the Naturale line different?
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

I would not consider it DIY either :-)

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    5 years ago

I have never coated a Loba system over Zar stains. Not sure how compatible the two products are. Easy Prime is designed to adhere to most finishes, if, not all. Since there is a 72 hours of drying. I would lightly abrade the stain with a maroon pad using a sanding pole, before applying the primer. Bona Intense or Amberseal will have no trouble bonding to Zar stains, still abrade the stain first.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you guys! I’ll see if I can get my hands on it and definitely do some testing on my scrap pieces of wood first. Thanks again!
  • SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

The Loba products are pretty easy to use - even the two part products that have to be mixed. They have a 10 minute working edge which makes this a very good DIY product. Bona's wet edge is 2 minutes and can be a BEAR to figure out. The Easy Prime is just that - easy. And the Loba 2K Supra AT comes in 1 Litre containers (1 quart) which means you do not have to purchase 1 gallon of the product.

1 Litre Loba 2K Supra AT = 130-160sf of coverage (depending on the porosity of the wood and which "coat" you are applying). A set of stairs may only need 1 or 2 litres.

www.icorkfloor.com sells the 1 litre Loba 2K Supra AT and will ship anywhere in the USA.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That’s awesome, thank you! I looked online yesterday and saw the closest distributor was 4hrs away -_- I have 13 treads that I ordered in 37”x10.25” and will cut down individually for exact fit; one quart was more than enough for two coats of stain, so I’ll keep my fingers crossed it’s the same for poly. I’ll message icork and ask if I can buy the primer through them as well, if not do you have suggestions on where to buy?
  • SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm afraid iCork does not sell the primer. You can always check Amazon. Be careful with "two coats" of stain. A second coat of stain can complicate matters. It has been known to cause adhesion failures because it does not soak into the wood but rather sits on top. That means the primer/polyurethane has nothing to "stain" to grab onto. The primer/finish normally like to grab onto wood. That's what keeps them in place.

I would use a test plank (two coats of stain) with the primer/finish combination and then wait for a full cure (5 days) and then see if there is any form of adhesion failure (can start to turn white in some areas or look like there is an air bubble underneath.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Good to know, thank you!!
  • Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hey guys I’m back! My order of Loba Easy Prime and Supra AT have arrived and now I have a silly question lol. For the primer, label suggests to apply with a roller; since I’m doing treads would I still want to use a roller? (3” nap I’m guessing). I was going to apply the the Supra with a foam brush, would a foam brush be better for applying the primer to the treads? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!
  • SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

NOoooooooooooo! Stop!!!!! None of the ABOVE!

A Low-nap roller is NOT 3" (that is SUPER FLUFFY)! I have always recommended a microfibre roller with 6mm (1/4") nap OR LESS.

Do NOT use foam brushes!!!!! You will get this horrible "swiss cheese" appearance in your finish. It isn't pretty. If you MUST use a brush, you need to use a BEAUTIFUL (aka soft and expensive) brush designed for water based products.

You can buy two of everything. What you use with the primer you can use with the finish. Therefore you can buy two of everything. I normally suggest purchasing 3 of everything. The reason: you will apply the primer with one set...and then a few hours later (too little time to clean and DRY the first set of rollers/brushes) you will apply the FIRST coat of the finish. You can then recoat the finish the SAME DAY. That means 3 sets of rollers/brushes will let you do the 3 coats in one day without having to wait for a set of brushes to dry (after being cleaned with water and soap).

Low nap is your friend. small angular brushes for getting into those weird spots will be your friend...remember you CANNOT "cut in" edges. These products have a 10 minute "wet edge" which means you cannot "cut in" the stair and then go back and apply more product 30 minutes later. You will complete each stair before moving on to the next.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You’re a lifesaver! Thank you! I found these two products at my local Lowe’s. Would this nap be sufficient for the primer and poly? I also saw this brush just in case
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    5 years ago

You should use a brush specified for latex only. I like the 3 1/2" Wooster synthetic sash brush for water base finishes. 3/8 nap microfiber by arrow is good from paint stores. If, you can get the 120 micron microfiber roller by Loba. That works best for water base finishes.

For stairs, I would coat every three tread with a brush, then roll over it with a roller for a heavier build. Allow the easy prime to dry overnight, before coating it with Supra AT.

• SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

The rollers are still a bit too fluffy. They clearly state 10mm. I prefer to see 6mm (1/4" nap). I also prefer to see the slightly more expensive products that have a coloured thread running through the roller. This indicates the microfibre is double stitched and less likely to shed fibres. As G&S suggests, the brush you should work with will need to be specific for latex. When the manufacturer mentions "clear", they mean oil based polyurethane. Those are different beasts.

Contact Loba if you would like to purchase their rollers that are perfect for their finishes. Yes they are triple the price at Lowe's....because they are German engineering at work.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks guys! I searched high and low for a 1/4 nap but couldn’t find one in store anywhere; I finally found a double stitched 3/8 nap yesterday though so hopefully that’ll be sufficient. Also, I realized there’s only a pot life of 2hrs after the poly is mixed and a wait time of at least 4hrs between coats; can I divide the containers in half (or even thirds) so I can get two or three coats out of the liter? Again I can’t thank you all enough for all your help and advice!
  • SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

What you do is mix ONLY WHAT YOU NEED. So long as the two components are kept separate, you are fine.

The mixed product will 'look' like a liquid (after 2 hours has passed) but do NOT be fooled. Do NOT be tempted to use it. Small filaments of "plastic" will be forming in the jar of mixed product (imagine hundreds of cobwebs floating in the container.... that's what it will be like). Leave the lid off the container and allow the left over product to harden.

Go ahead and mix as much as you need. I've seen people split a litre 4 times. It isn't a problem. But be aware that the first coat will have LESS coverage than the average. The second coat will get better coverage and the third coat will have the best coverage.

You are only allowed 2 coats of finish per day. For three coats you will need two days.

1 litre = 1 quart (roughly) = 130sf - 160sf of coverage. Your first coat = 125-135sf of coverage (very little) per litre. The third coat will be MUCH closer to 160sf/litre.

How many treads/risers to you have? What is the TOTAL square footage (tread and riser added together)? That will tell you how many coats you can expect out of a litre.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Perfect, thanks! I have 13 tread caps that I’ll be applying Loba to. There are 14 risers I painted white with an oil-based paint from Benjamin Moore and was not intending to apply any poly to those, unless you think I should?
    Each tread cap is 10.25” x 37” with a 1.25” nose (pic below; guesstimating with the nosing about 38.4 sqft?)
    12 risers are 7.5” x 37” and 2 risers between newel posts are 7.5” x 33” (=26.6 sqft);
    So total = 65 sqft? Math was never my forte lol; so if my math was right, I could get 3+ coats doing only the treads, or two coats on both the treads and risers, is that right?
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    5 years ago

You ned a pint of finish which will cover 75 sq.ft. There are measuring cups available for mixing at the paint store. It will cost you about $2.00 for one.

Apply one coat early morning at 8:00 a.m. Finalize at 3:00 at p.m. That is a good 7 hours of drying. Do not go by the manufacturing suggested recommended dry time. Actual dry time depends on your conditions.

• SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

As G&S suggests. A proper mixing quotient (10:1 for the Loba finish:hardener) is a plus. Do NOT add the Loba to the risers. Just the treads. You will have a little left over...if you are PERFECT at measuring (most people are not). I would assume you will use the entire 1 litre....because the first coat is going to be a MASSIVE learning curve for you.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, guys! Massive learning curve indeed lol, I definitely have no business applying this poly, but I didn’t come this far to give up now haha. Just waiting for it to finally stop raining around here and the humidity level to return back to normal before I get started; say a Hail Mary for me lol! I couldn’t have gotten this far without you so thank you both for all the time, knowledge, expertise, advice, and of course your immense amount of patience. You guys rock! :)
  • SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

I have no doubt you will do just fine. My DIY clients found the Loba easy to work with once they understood some of the 'rules'. Some of my best applications came from homeowners willing to learn the rules and READ the instructions.

The Loba is a "shaken not stirred" type of product. It has ANTI-FROTHING products added to it...that's why it has such a hefty price tag! You will shake BOTH containers for 60 seconds. Then you will mix the two products (into a third container...like a measuring cup - l like one's with milliters listed because it makes the 10:1 measurements STUPID easy ;-). Once the two are mixed, you can shake them for another 60 seconds (or a VERY good stir for 1-2 minutes). You are ready to go.

You will see bubbles but you will IGNORE the bubbles. Yep. I said ignore. The Loba is "self correcting and self leveling". That is to say, the BUBBLES will disappear BEFORE the finish cures (you won't see them later on) and the areas with a little bit MORE finish (like a little wake line from time to time) will level itself out. Again it will not be seen once it drys.

That's why Loba is relatively easy to use. Once it is mixed you simply apply it and walk away. It gives a lovely flawless finish regardless of your level of skill (it can hide a lot).

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks! I will definitely be going out to pick up some of those measuring cups. I have watched a few instructional videos from Loba and others and did see where they shook both bottles before mixing, but definitely good to know to “ignore the bubbles” because seeing those in the pot probably would’ve caused me to be hesitant to start applying it. Hoping this rain and humidity goes away soon so I can attempt this poly and finish these treads :D Thanks again for all the great advice, I need all I can get! Lol
  • AK Parrain
    5 years ago

Good luck and I’m looking forward to hearing an update on how it goes and how it turns out!

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Soooo naturally the paint stores I went to only had measuring cups that went up to a 8:1 ratio, my luck haha. Would a 45ml hardener and 450ml finish mixture do the job? I’d have to estimate since both cups start at 50ml, but I’d be close
  • Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hey guys, I’m back and happy to report Loba did not let me down! Other than my lack of sanding experience, the finish turned out flawless! Thanks again guys, couldn’t have done it without ya!
  • SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

They look AWESOME! So glad this worked for you! How much Loba did you have left? Just curious.

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I just split the two bottles in half because I was too nervous to try to split it any further with that whole 10:1 ratio thing, but after all was said and done I probably could have gotten (or gotten very close to) four coats out of the liter of Loba.
  • shajan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Susie, are you still around to respond? how is the Loba holding up? what color stain did you use? Thanks

• Susie Sametz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@shajan, the Loba is holding up as expected. I have a 40lb dog and his nails have scratched the up poly, but I believe if I had used another brand of poly they would look much worse.

I have laminate throughout the house and brought in a sample to Sherwin Williams who color matched the stain for me; I used a Minwax oil-based stain from them.

Hope this helps!

• shajan
    2 years ago

Thanks for the quick response Susie. The stairs look great, and it looks like the wood dented rather than the poly scratching. Did you apply Loba poly over the oil based stain or did you use a primer? what was yout application process? I was deciding between Bona Mega and Traffic HD then I heard about Loba