SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Wimpy Austin’s...help

SoFL Rose z10
5 years ago

I purchased 6 DA roses this season. Three are doing amazingly well, but the other three are wimps.

Humtington rose, lady Emma and princess Anne have all grown wonderfully and bloomed a ton. However James Galway, Charles Rene Macintosh and Charles Darwin have done little more than leaf out.

charles rene had a handful of blooms but they were tiny. The other two don’t even have a single bud. Do they require more fertilizer or something. Maybe they don’t like the heat here? James Galway is the puniest them all.

James G looking puney

Charles Rene already showing black spot this early in the season.

Charles Darwin not doing much of anything since it first leafed out. Just 4 blind shoots.

Huntington by comparison. Large and in charge. Healthy and full of buds.

Comments (11)

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh. I forgot to mention that we’re all planted in late January on the same day.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

CRM was one of the last to bloom out of the ones I bought this spring. Charlotte was the slowest a few mos behind all the others. I think your CRM blooms will get bigger.

CRM just recently blooming w The Poet's Wife behind him.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Most of my Austins over the years needed about 3 years to start blooming well.

And I have one--the lovely Jubilee Celebration--that remained a wimp for nearly a decade. It is finally growing and blooming quite well, but it is never going to reach the 4 ft height promised in the catalog--more like 2.5 ft tall. So, just like in some families where one daughter grows 5'9" and the next daughter is 5'2", I guess some roses were never intended to reach the maximum potential enjoyed by other roses in the same group.

Hang in there with your roses--they will get better with time. They might also do better planted in the ground.

Kate

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I jus realized that my James Galway and my Charles Darwin are actually own root. No wonder! Charles Rene has no excuse, but with the other two, it’s understandable. Thank everyone for your input.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Here, I got two own root DAs this Spring and Bishop's Castle is powering forward and Young Lycidas is slower although they are both own root. I've had grafted DAs that have been slow too. I think they all improve with age.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    5 years ago

Could also be the location? You could try moving your James Galway pot to a different spot & see if it makes a difference. And, your garden is lovely - very lush & natural.

SoFL Rose z10 thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Mine is also slow growing but Pat Austin and Molineux has bloom many times. I freak out then I realized that I have forgotten that some took a few years to grow.

2 of my DA actually lost a lot of leaves like getting so bald. I was giving them water twice a day then the rain came for 3 weeks and now all new leaves again. Thank goodness :)

Jin

• lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

I think James Galway likes cooler climates. I have it on my list to try and get next year for my one garden I am doing a total remake. It is rated as zone 4 hardy and shade tolerant. This garden only gets partial sun. Maybe try moving the pot to a shaded area and see what happens.

• Bp37 Zone 10 South Florida
    3 years ago

Hey Sofl! Any updates on Lady Emma Hamilton? I also live sofl and I am thinking on getting her.

• sharon2079
    3 years ago

BP... I haven't seen SoFl post in awhile, but I too live in South Florida. I got LEH on SoFl's recommendation. Mine does quite well here. Not much disease.... but it does get chili thrips, but not as much as many. It has a nice scent.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions