SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexandra_parker23

Advice on my Yucca Gloriosa

TaraMaiden
5 years ago

I live in the UK, in a region equivalent to USDA zone 8 - 9. In March, my daughter gave me a Yucca Gloriosa cutting, the cut stem of which I allowed to dry over. I then scraped the lowest inch of bark away akk the way round (rather as one would scrape a carrot). I coated the newly-exposed cut surface with rooting hormone, and planted in good soil, which I had mixed with grit and pearlite. I removed most of the lower leaves, and cut back the remainder to half, leaving a good few right at the tip, intact, to protect the emerging new leaves.

Well, it's rooted, and is successfully strong and settled into its pot.

However: I can see the cut and frayed stringy remnant of a previous flower stem, which is no problem... except that there appears to be the embryonic tip of a new flower stalk forming right next to it.

Now normally, I would without question, decide to remove it once big enough, to prevent energy being removed from the rooted cutting.

But these things are virtually unkillable! It's rooted, is solid in its pot, and won't budge. It's also been through one of the most severe winters we have experienced, in the sense that it just never seemed to end! The reason my daughter cut it back was that the base of her yucca, having been forked through bad cutting at a very early stage (not by her I hasten to add!) had let water and snow in which split the base and began to kill off the yucca, so she cut the branches before the rot damaged them. Even though it rotted above soil level, she now has 3 or 4 new shoots coming up from the buried roots, so it's a tough cookie!

So basically, in a nutshell, my question is this: remove the flower stalk once big enough, or let it sprout, and support it if necessary, and see if I get some seeds from it?

Opinions.....?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler