SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nortok00

Some questions re: molding, curing, guidelines for hypertufa

nortok00
5 years ago

Hello hypertufa gurus,

I'm new to working with hypertufa but am excited to try my first project. I've done so much reading and research (recipes, curing, etc) that my head is spinning. :-) I have a few questions that I'm hoping the experts can answer. I know some of these have been asked/answered but I've lost track of all the posts I've read so figured it was better to just ask again. :-)

1. I came across a lot of recipes that didn't use sand (just cement, moss and perlite/vermiculite). Is it best to always use sand for strength or can it be left off for smaller items (let's say a small pot) but is better to use in larger projects (let's say a large trough)?

2. Along the same lines as #1... does it make any difference as to using sand when it comes to shape. Example: Are curved or freeform shapes lack strength (vs. squares, rectangles) and as such can benefit from sand regardless of the project's size or does it matter?

3. Are there any guidelines as to wall/bottom thickness based on the size of the project? Obviously if the project is a planter then the larger the planter the more soil it's going to hold which could make it quite heavy? I'm thinking of doing a trough that is approx 3-1/2'L x 2'W x 1-1/2'H and want to be sure I have an appropriate thickness. Is there a point at which you have to consider adding concrete strengthening fibers or something like chicken wire for strength?

4. I would also like to raise my trough up off the ground which means a lot of the weight will come down on the bottom. Should I have a thicker bottom to ensure the weight of the soil is supported or does it matter?

5. If I use plastic (like a garbage bag) as the means to release the hypertufa from the mold is the plastic enough or does plastic still have to be sprayed with cooking oil?

6. For curing I read that that item should be wrapped in plastic for the first 24 to 48 hours to get the item to set to the point it can be taken out of the mold. Does it have to be sprayed during this time or is wrapping it in the plastic enough? When it comes time to removing it from the mold to finish curing is the item left open to the air (in the shade) for this period or is it re-wrapped and left to sit or should it be placed in water for the approx 4 weeks (or at least sprayed/hosed down everyday)?

7. Does the length of time it's left to cure depend on the thickness of the walls/bottom? I think I read on average it's about 4 weeks to cure. Is that for a certain thickness?

8. Along the lines of #7... along with my trough I want to make a couple solid supports to raise it off the ground (almost like the footings/supports you would use under a raised deck). Given these will be solid as opposed to something like a trough or pot are there guidelines for drying/curing based on the thickenss of these or is it the same as a pot?

9. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a freeform mold? Once I get my first trough done I would like to create a pot that is kidney shaped but don't know the best way to construct a mold.

10. I'm in zone 5b. Is there anything I should add to the recipe to make sure it can survive cold winters with frost and ice or should I just seal it?

Hopefully I remembered all of my questions. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Cheers.

Karen

Comments (2)