SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Front Porch Rebuild - Before/After (x-post from Decorating forum)

chicagoans
5 years ago

It's just a front porch, but it was a big project for me!

Backstory: My DH and I always wanted to redo the front of our house with a big front porch. A cancer diagnosis and 3 years of treatments put those plans on hold. A few years after losing him I decided to do the project on a smaller scale. I planned to replace some aging columns and cracked concrete steps, and the project grew from there. I first met with the architect in November of 2016, so it took me awhile to get it done!

The project included a bigger front porch, removing a (dying) tree, relocating some shrubs and getting new landscaping, replacing a cobblestone walkway with grey stone pavers, and new door, sidelights, railings, first floor windows, light, numbers, mailbox, and some indoor wall work and painting. Phew! Scope creep.

Loved all the people I worked with - architect, builder, landscaper, railings guy, painter, and all their workers. Happy to provide resources for anyone who is interested.

Anyway, here is one before shot and a few after.

Before: My BF cut down and pull out the roots of the tree by hand! Boxwood and viburnum shrubs were saved and relocated. Kept the shutters but repainted.

After:

The landscaping was just in for this shot; it has since bloomed (lots of azaleas) and grown (grasses on the right where it looks bare) and I've replanted the urns.

I came home from work on a rainy day to see my new landscaping! So excited. Bet you love the awesome green bin I used until the new mailbox went up. (eye roll):

Side view shows a bit more of the walkway and the new iron railings (door and ceiling not finished and no landscaping in this one.) You can just see the two electrical outlets on the columns next to the house; had to have those big grey boxes for inspection and those have been replaced with flush white covers. I will love those for holiday lights - the switch is indoors:

I don't have a good night shot, but I really love my new backlit numbers. People can actually find my house at night! (Ceiling and door not stained, wall not yet painted in this shot.)

Comments (15)