SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gth842s

Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm liking sour orange rootstock.

PacNorWreck
5 years ago

Hi guys,

Since a lot of us are growing in northern climates I thought I'd share an interesting observation early in the growing season. A challenge I run into in my climate is cool evenings (even in July and August we get down into the mid 50s most nights) - typically, it takes a while for things to warm up to our summer highs in the 70s and 80s. Most varieties of citrus don't seem to do much of anything below 70 degrees, so I'm always looking for anything I can do to help my collection grow.

Anyway, I added a bunch of trees to the collection this year and a couple of them were on sour orange rootstock from Harris citrus. Of 8 trees added to my collection this year (plus two that over-wintered), here's are the scion / rootstock combinations that have flushed with new growth and those that haven't:

Bearss Lemon on Sour Orange: Flushed a week ago.

Harvey Lemon on Sour Orange: Flushed 3 weeks ago.

Sour Orange on Kinkoji: Flushed 2 weeks ago.

Yuzu on C-35: Flushed 4 weeks ago, has already grown a foot, flowered, and set fruit.

Sudachi on C-35: Flowered but hasn't flushed.

Meyer on Rich Trifoliate: Nothing.

Smith Red Valencia on C-35: Nothing yet, but this tree only arrived a week ago.

Rangpur on C-35: Nothing.

Xie Shan on C-22: Nothing.

Calamondin on Kinkoji: Nothing.

The common pattern seems to be sour orange, which seems to be willing to grow or push nutrients at lower temperatures than other trees. I've tried to grow lemons (mostly FWG Meyers, but also a FWG Santa Teresa) and a limequat (on volk rootstock from Harris) but those didn't survive the winter and they've never flushed this early.

So, to make a long story endless, I'd definitely recommend sour orange as a rootstock for those in cooler / northern that are grafting up their own trees or ordering from Harris citrus. I'd definitely also recommend giving Yuzu a try as a rootstock for sour citrus.

I know 3-4 trees and one season isn't much to jump to conclusions on, but I thought I'd share my experiences anyway and see if anyone had similar experiences in their own growing.

Comments (12)