SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina_thomas44

Adding a ground-floor addition

Addition Planner
5 years ago

Hi all! The Gardenweb kitchen renovation board was super helpful when I was renovating my kitchen a few years ago, so I'm hoping I'm in the right place.

We have a cute 2-bedroom Cape, with both bedrooms and one tiny shared hall bath upstairs. Downstairs is dining room / living room / kitchen in the original house, and then a big "family room" in what was probably originally a porch which got enclosed, and then an attached garage. We are planning to knock down the garage and build a master bedroom/bathroom/laundry there (bigger than the garage was), as well as adding our current small porch into the family room area.

Right now it all rests in the hands of the zoning board...we'll need a variance for the percentage of our lot we're covering in impermeable surface. If we get one, though, I'm sure I'll be here frequently looking for input and advice!

Here's the house as it is now. :-) The brick is the original Cape, behind the breezeway/porch is the family room, and the peaked structure is obviously the garage. Fingers crossed there will be more to follow!

Comments (17)