mrsn84

Scared...Japanese knotweed?? :(

Mrs. N
5 years ago

So in recently discovering that we have a case
of Goutweed in our back garden (thanks to helpful Gardenweb-ers) and reading
about invasive weeds, I’m now really scared that we have some Japanese knotweed
in our front garden. Please see attached photos. It doesn’t seem to be
spreading so far, but two "plants" similar to the one in the first pic have popped up in two separate areas of our very small
front garden. If it is, anyone have any success in getting rid of it? I'm in Ontario, Canada and we cannot buy Roundup here.

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

JW has large, unlobed, heart-shaped leaves and hollow cane-like stems

And does produce an aggressively creeping rootstock instead of a tight clump of growth.

As an aside the common nuisance kind in some areas - including much of the Pacific Northwest and Great Britain - is Bohemian knot-weed rather than Japanese. It is an intermediate hybrid resulting from the crossing of Japanese and giant knot-weeds, with the hybrid plants often being male. So that there is not a problem with these male plants reseeding. Just covering large spaces with their vegetative growth if they are not destroyed. I have seen uncontrolled patches in my area occupying square footage the size of entire building lots - and bigger. If still nobody has done anything about it there is an infested bottom-land in the bend of a river in a National Forest east of here that may be something on the order of an acre in extent.

• Mrs. N
    Original Author
    5 years ago

floral_uk - thank you for your insight!!!! That makes me feel a whoooole lot better since all I’ve been doing in the last couple of hours is researching the endless headaches that knotweed can cause!

embothrium - thank for the info. So do you agree that the plant in the pics I posted is NOT Japanese knotweed?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

As floral already stated, the plant in question is a peony. It is not any type of knotweed!!

• Mrs. N
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yay!!!! Now I can sleep tonight. :)

Thank you both!!

• Mrs. N
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Edit: thank you ALL!

• donna_in_sask
    5 years ago

If it doesn't flower, it might be planted in too shade a spot or too deeply.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    5 years ago

" a case of Goutweed" LOL!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner