SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scholarstica_kariuki

Help me pick recliners for living room/ redecorate

Shirokirio
5 years ago
I'm considering switching out one of the big couches in my living room with two recliners. My mom moved in with me and the couches are too uncomfortable for her... plus I've being dying to redecorate.

Which color will work best with current combo (BM Eternity is the wall color)? Placementwise, I'm thinking putting them where the couch at the entrance is would be ideal. The TV is on a full swivel mount so it can be adjusted for viewing. ...I'm open to painting the living room too.

Here are the views from 3 angles.

Comments (105)

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ....the recliners are here. My mom likes how firm they are. I used an old side table and removed the coffee table that matches the TV stand from the room. I'm wondering if I should put it back? It will still be pushed against the wall as my son normally plays in the free space. My son got an egg chair for his birthday so I put it in the corner for now. It's been helping with his sensory but eventually I might move it in his room when he grows up a little more. I need to steam the carpet soon but am waiting for the rain to stop.

I'm not feeling the look...something is missing.. my mom had said she'd be fine piling cushions on my current sofa to sit comfortably so I could return the recliners if the look doesnt grow on us.... am thinking the 72 in TV stand might make it look better or different color recliners? Or maybe drapes? I'll take some pictures with natural light in the AM.
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ...table back in the room... It will probably be pushed next to the wall so my son doesn't try to climb it to get the the fan.
  • Related Discussions

Help me pick art for my living room + dining room!

Q

Comments (10)
    No, I don't think it would look awful. I love big art pieces. The important thing though is do YOU like it? It's your home and it's important that it please YOU. Looking at your picture, I'm wondering if the art above the sofa isn't a tad big for that wall. (I really like it, btw.) Usually, the eye appreciates some breathing room around art. If you have painter's tape, try taping out that canvas' size above your couch and see just how much wall it covers. That might help you visualize its negative space better. Good luck and enjoy the process!
    ...See More

Help me pick out a rug, cushions, and other decor for my living room!

Q

Comments (1)
    As per the photo, the lighting seems to be very warm. can you upload more photos of the space and in natural light or may be start with change the lights.
    ...See More

RUGS?? Help me pick out an area rug for my living room

Q

Comments (4)
    Order the rug you like in the smallest size...then if you like it, send back the "sample" and get the full size one. What is it that clashed about the ones you sent back? The room is very neutral in black white and cool gray, and the floor is warm tone. Maybe that's it. The mix of warm and cool tones...get a rug with those tones.
    ...See More

Help redecorate living room

Q

Comments (11)
    Main traffic pattern in from kitchen to bedroom which goes right in front of fireplace . the comfort chairs id like seem like they will be to crampled . the layout is really a nightmare because every corner is open to another area . i have been thinking about getting rid of the entertainment center. we debating moving tv. have discussed putting tv on wall behind the gold chair as there is less traffic in that way. the paint is looking gold but its much softer . painting is a not in this project maybe in summer
    ...See More
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ...table back in the room... It will probably be pushed next to the wall so my son doesn't try to climb it to get the the fan.
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

The coffee table does not have to be in the middle of the floor. It should be about 18" from the sofa. A different table between the two recliners is needed. That TV wall needs accessorizing(artwork, shelves) - once you do this it will feel more like a home.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    shirlpp- ha! I didn't know about coffee table positioning. I'm thinking of getting this end table since its angled to replace the tile one which is a place holder right now. I don't want the TV wall to be too busy... I'm thinking once I get some drapes and a proportional TV stand I can revisit decorating it. I do have an idea of a picture with a shelf or maybe some scones
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I do like the recliners. I think think the fabric works well with your sofas. I was going to say the same thing about the coffee table. That way you can put your feet up or set down a drink and your son won't be able to climb it to reach the fan.

I think drapes should be your next project. What do you think of something in a solid off white. Probably about twice as full as what you currently have. I like a back tab. They hang nicely.

If you're going to get a table to go between the recliners, measure the height to the top of the arm and be sure the table isn't more than 2 inches lower or higher than the arm.

Your artwork could stand to be lowered a bit and centered on the sofa. The frame should be about 6" from the top of the sofa.

If I may, another suggestion is to bring the things on your mantel in a little closer to the clock. Pull everything in about 5-6" and layer it so it's not lined up.

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

I'd try to bring in a table between the chairs that's slightly different than what you currently have in your home. Do you need a table with a magazine rack?

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Katinparadise- I hadn't thought about off white for the drapes but now I think the color will work nicely to break away from the brownness of the room. Amazon has some that I could order that do have tabs.

I thought the rule of thumb is 13 in from the sofa? I'll do the 6"... also will do as you suggested with the mantle and post pics once I have the look together.

shirlpp- different how? Color, design? If you have an idea you can post that can help. I tend to gravitate towards monochromatic stuff.
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    katinparadise- looks like they are sold out of the ones that are 108. Will pleated pleats in a vanilla color work? I looked at Amazon and this was the closet I could find.

Exclusive Home Curtains Sateen Pinch Pleat Back Tab Top Window Curtain Panel Pair, 30x108, Vanilla, 2 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VCG4NG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gsifBbZKQ20SZ
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    shirlpp- do you have a link for this one? I need a sturdy table that my son can't tip over and this one looks like it'd be heavier enough. I tried searching on Houzz but couldn't find it.
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What about this one? It's a marble top so no risk of it tipping over or DS breaking it.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I like the marble top on that. Is it tall enough to reach the arms of the recliners?

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

I like the marble top too, however, I don't think it fits in with your décor. Plus, I'd be afraid of those sharp edges if your son even tried to topple it over.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The end table is too short. I'll keep looking for the perfect one. I'm mainly sticking with local stores or Amazon Prime where I dont have to pay shipping to return.
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Target has this one in stock that I plan to pick up tomorrow. It's 22.5 in high whereas the recliners top at 24 in so looks like it will work. The drapes I ordered should be here Wednesday... will post progress pics once I have them set up.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

That should work at 22.5". It will be nice to see a bit of metal in the space.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ...looks like we have a winner. I'm liking the room much better especially how open and airy it feels now. Drapes get here tomorrow then I'll figure out how to dress up the TV wall.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, I like it there. The white and gold breaks up the browns a bit and brings some light to the area. Score!

I'm sorry-your post about the curtains never showed up in my email until now. Do you need 108"? How long are the ones you have now?

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

Oh, Okay, the top does look okay. As with the other table, it seems to be a little squished. You can move the chairs a little more apart so that the table is not right up on the chair arms.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    I would get one LazyBoy recliner in camel/tan and keep the two sofas. Look for a style which will not compete with the sofas.
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    felizlady- where would the recliner fit if I keep both couches?
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

Is there a reason you'd prefer to keep both couches. I think it looks nice now.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    katinparadise- my mom says she doesn't think the recliners go with the sofa. She told me she'd be fine piling up the cushions on the current sofa around her like she was doing for support since it's only for a few hours.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

Well you certainly shouldn't keep them if they're not working for you. You could go back to the two sofas and still make other changes if that's a better situation for you. If you return the recliners, you could do the t.v. console instead. Maybe doing that and changing the curtains will be all you need!

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Should I still go with the off white curtains or what would be a better color to make the room vibrant? Looks like 95 in will work better. The vanilla once I ordered were too long and looked washed out against my current wall color. I really wish Kohls still carried the ones I have now. I decorated the mantel to tie in the blue and gold.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

How about a navy curtain if you feel the off white is too bland? I know you were looking at that possibility before. Then you could add in some navy pillows to your sofa.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    katinparadise- it would appear am not only married to my sofas but to the drapes as well. I was able to find them at Home Depot online so I ordered two pairs. I'm going to try back tabs and see if the look will be much better than the rings.

So here's where I am- I returned the recliners and moved back the other sofa. I'm going for more functional but would like to get some more color in the room. I took out the coffee table because it hasnt been used in over a year. I also had the TV mounted where it now sits more flush against the wall. Hang some art... thinking I might center the left pic with the TV and adjust the others. I ordered the end table that's identical to the one shirlp recommended. I found a blue vase that matches the drapes and is as tall as the speaker (my son was stepping on it to climb the TV unit so up it went) so I'll put it to the other end of the sound bar.

Now what I need help with is throw pillows. I'm thinking two puffy ones on each end of the couch. The last time I tried to get some they crashed so bad with everything. Any recommendations? I'll post pics once I get the room put together... again. I just had the carpet steamed so it looks much better. Also no budget for replacing the TV stand... it got blown by the water damage I just had in the guest hallway, coat closet and my son's bedroom.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

It sounds as though you've made some decisions and are happy with the direction the room is taking.

Once you get curtains hung and new pictures posted, we can work on pillows.

I'll look forward to seeing new pics!

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

I would not bring in 2 big pillows as the back of your couch is mainly pillows. Maybe bring in a kidney pillow for each couch.

Use the blue and subtle yellow as your accents. Bring in artwork in these colors - by replacing what you have as you're heading towards the front door.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    katinparadise- do you have a link to the first throw pillow? It looks like it will hold well to my son's abuse without showing dirt. The living room is a mess right now but I'll take pictures later
  • chloemichellem
    5 years ago
    The first pillow is from Pottery Barn I believe. Search Navin pillow cover ... also it’s on sale today for about $22.
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you! Would that color work with the drapes? I ended up doing back tabs but here is when I had both panels up.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I'm not sure the pillow would work with the drapes. If I may be honest, IMO, the drapes don't work in this room. The style and color are so much different than anything else you have going on at this point. I don't want to offend you, and if you like them and feel good about them in the room, by all means keep them.

If you decide to go ahead and keep them, I'd be happy to look for other pillows that would work.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    katinparadise- what sort of drapes would you recommend? I do feel you are right now that I have everything in place that there is a disconnect between the fireplace area and where the couches are in terms of color and the flow of the room. Here is how everything looks right now. .. I haven't lowered the artwork yet above the couch but it's on my to do.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think choosing some accent pillows to replace a few of your solids would give you a good jumping off point for drapes. You asked me about the pillow I posted a few weeks ago. Does something like that appeal to you? It's also available in a lumbar cover so you could just cover your center pillow and then maybe add one navy pillow in place of one of the others to each sofa.

If so, I still think something like a navy drape would really tie things together.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm thinking getting 4 of those accent pillows will work... I measured my current pillows and they would fit in the covers. So solid navy blue drapes?
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ...or mix and match with the other pillow you posted?
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I would get two of those and 2 in solid navy. I like the texture of these. https://www.potterybarn.com/products/chenille-jacquard-pillow-cover/?pkey=cpillows-solid&isx=0.0.651.52001953125  Then the navy drapes. What's your budget for drapes-I can look around if you like.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ... the navy throws are out of stock until December.

Budget for the drapes is $200. I actually would require 95 inches. 108 were too tall. Thanks!
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

These are from Half Price Drapes. Both navy-one cotton and one faux linen. The faux linen are just a bit over budget, the cotton under budget. https://www.halfpricedrapes.com/stormy-blue-faux-linen-sheer-curtain.html

https://www.halfpricedrapes.com/polo-navy-solid-cotton-curtain.html

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you! I'm partial to sheers so I went with the faux linen. And they are on Amazon prime @$35. They get here on July 3rd so I'll post pics. Dont have an ETA yet for the navin pillow covers.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I'm glad you found them for a good price! I'll be excited to see pics. Enjoy your weekend!

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The drapes are in! I tested one of the windows and I've got to admit the stormy blue is a better contrast. My mom even said you can now notice the drapes. They do kinda darken the room a little bit... wondering if I should add some inches on the side opposite to the fireplace to get more of the sunlight. They kinda look black in certain lighting.

I also tested out on of the pillow covers. I've noticed the seating area is so wide that guests look like they are reclining. So thinking of adding the throw pillows as they give more support. I ordered some inserts and will post pics once I get them set up. I hopefully would have cleaned out the fireplace. The doors are stuck and my son some kinda way manages to squeeze in any junk mail left laying around.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

Well I like the color and I like what little I can see of the pillow cover.

Here's my though on the drapes-since you don't have a lot of space between the window frames and fireplace, how about just putting the panels on the outside edge of the windows? Stretch the rod so the finial goes right to the wall and hang the panel so the inside edge just covers the window frame and the outside edge goes right to the wall. You don't have to move the bracket, just put some of the back tabs onto the other side of it. Similar to this.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha! that's genius! And because the panels are more fuller and thicker than the original ones I had it wont look as awkward.... am wondering if I need to get thicker rods or go with the ones I have?
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

Good! Your rods look fine to me.

• Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    How's this? The left is a door to the backyard and it's open and closed throughout the day so didn't want to pull the drapes in too much.
  • Shirokirio
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Brighter pics...
Sponsored
Jennifer Stoner Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Reputable Richmond Based Interior Designer & Furniture Designer