SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azengineer

Marvin Ultimate or Sierra Pacific Aspen Aluminum Clad Casement Windows

azengineer
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are doing a large gut remodel and addition. I have narrowed the choices to Sierra Pacific Aspen and Marvin Ultimate for Aluminum clad wood casement windows, French doors, and sliding doors. Our architect uses both a lot. My wife and I spent a lot time today meeting with representatives from both makers and here is what I see as the pros and cons and I'd like feedback. They will be bronze color on the exterior and painted white on the interiors. Inside we will have a ton of white painted millwork.

Marvin Pros

- Love the top mounted sliding system for screens on the sliders

- Prepainted option, Marvin paints before glazing and before the window is assembled. Seems like this would be superior but I'd like some feedback.

- Marvin claims their Aluminum paint finish is more advanced and resists oxidation better than powder coating. It has a primer, color coat, and clear coat like a car. Same warranty on Sierra and Marvin.

- Triple locking mechanism on the slider was better than Sierra Pacific

Marvin Cons

- They have interior trim stops around the perimeter of the unit that are removable for service of the mechanism, and also you can remove to put the screws in for mounting, and then snap back in place. They seem to fit pretty sloppy, leaving the interior not as well crafted looking as the Sierra Pacific.

- The locking mechanism handle was a bit flip floppy when unlatched.

Sierra Pacific Pros

- Seemed a bit heavier built than Marvin, both had extruded aluminum but the aluminum extrusions on the Sierra Pacific looked heavier

- The sash locks were recessed versus exposed hooks on the Marvin

- Looked better finished, like furniture on the inside

- Their screens were easier to remove and install.

Sierra Pacific Cons

- Have to paint the windows, they only offer pre-primed.

- The screens for the sliders ride in a bottom track as opposed to hanging off an upper track, they just don't slide as well new and will slide worse over time.

- Will the powdercoat be better or worse for fade resistance?

Overall we expected to see the Marvin as a clear step above Sierra Pacific but we actually think we like the Sierra Pacific better. If the exterior finish colors are similar enough maybe we do Marvin Sliders and Sierra Pacific for the rest? Thoughts on our observations and experiences with either brand?

Comments (11)