SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbcovington

Concrete floor to 2nd story sunroom?? HELP!!

Katie C
5 years ago

We bought a 40 yr old house a year ago that has a 2nd story sunroom. Underneath is an outdoor patio exposed to the elements. Seller sold sunroom "as is" and so we knew we were going to have to fix it as it appeared to have rotten window trim and the structural supports were questionable (10 posts resting on a 4ft brick wall).

After getting many contractors to look at the job of removing and replacing it, we settled with one who we really liked and gave what we thought was a fair quote.

They have started to demo the thing but we've run into a problem. The floor of the sunroom is 4in thick concrete on a rusted metal pan and rusted outer beams. The contractor is now telling us that it was never his intention to remove the concrete floor (even though in the contract it clearly states demo floor). He will replace the rusted pan and beams but is going to keep the concrete floor.

Is this advisable or should we push him to remove the concrete - keeping in mind it is 40 years old and rust on all metal parts surrounding it? Contractor is saying it's going to be an extra 10K to remove the concrete. In his defense he says he is going to get an engineer and of course it's being inspected at every step.

I just don't like the idea of a ton of concrete above my outdoor patio. Am I being unreasonable?

Thank you in advance for any advise as to what we should do here.

Comments (5)